Spec Fuel Pump in the future? (1 Viewer)

Super Mod

Nitro Member
From DRO:

Okay, now to the subject at hand. I have received information from very reliable sources in the last few days, information that I believe is true that very shortly maybe as soon as June 1 that the NHRA is going to mandate at the least a spec fuel pump for Top Fuel and Funny Car effective January 1, 2011.

Depending on whom you talk to, the rule will be a maximum 55-gallon pump for Funny Cars and a 60-gallon for the Top Fuel cars or 60 for the floppers and 65 for the fuelers.

Either way it goes, the result is inevitable: those cars are going to slow down. And while there may still be explosions, they will be significantly smaller explosions than those we see incurred with the use of the current 100-gallon per minute pumps.

...........Either way it goes, the result is inevitable: those cars are going to slow down. And while there may still be explosions, they will be significantly smaller explosions than those we see incurred with the use of the current 100-gallon per minute pumps.

That's probably going to be true.

For a while.......

Crew chiefs tend to rise to the challenge, and they'll probably do it here too.

We were told that a move to 1000ft racing wouild result in fewer engines grenading. And it did!

For a while.......;)

Geeee.. So how will NHRA police this? They can't even figure out the cubic inch of a motor.... now someone says they can figure out GPMs?:rolleyes:

Geeee.. So how will NHRA police this? They can't even figure out the cubic inch of a motor.... now someone says they can figure out GPMs?:rolleyes:

I can't see why this would be a problem for NHRA Tech brain trust.
You need:
1. Barrel of water
2. Big electric drill
3. Some plastic tubing
4. Empty barrel
5. Hourglass
Ya put some marks on the empty barrel, spin the pump with the drill
and measure how long it takes to get to a mark with the hourglass.
OK . . . after some heavy thinking, it appears there might be a problem here. Never mind! - :D

That's probably going to be true.

For a while.......

Crew chiefs tend to rise to the challenge, and they'll probably do it here too.

We were told that a move to 1000ft racing wouild result in fewer engines grenading. And it did!

For a while.......;)
This move will slow the cars down forever.Even the smartest of crew chiefs cannot get around lack of fuel.
All it takes is a flow bench to check fuel pump volume. Checking the pumps will become part of the pre race inspections.

I think this would be a move in the right direction, move back to the 1320, reduce costs so maybe some of the A/Fuel guy's might move up. Fresh blood is sorely needed in the Fuel ranks.

And the result will be the best funded teams win even more because they can melt all 8 out of the car every run. This is akin to the 85% rule. You just run it harder and feed it more parts. Slightly smaller explosions-YES (maybe), more damaged parts-DEFINATELY!

Does anyone find it interesting that the same few teams are having these explosive issues?

From what I hear, a smaller pump will be TESTED in the VERY near future. Just like all the other testing conducted on engine combinations etc.

If they are going to take fuel away, might as well take wing (spoiler), mag, tire, disk and supercharger OD as well...ain't gonna need 'em. Hmm, we could lighten them up again too. As it stands right now, it takes 55-60GPM just to get the car off the line. No fuel left to push it down the track.

I could rant a bit more but ain't got time right now.

And the result will be the best funded teams win even more because they can melt all 8 out of the car every run. This is akin to the 85% rule. You just run it harder and feed it more parts. Slightly smaller explosions-YES (maybe), more damaged parts-DEFINATELY!

Does anyone find it interesting that the same few teams are having these explosive issues?

From what I hear, a smaller pump will be TESTED in the VERY near future. Just like all the other testing conducted on engine combinations etc.

If they are going to take fuel away, might as well take wing (spoiler), mag, tire, disk and supercharger OD as well...ain't gonna need 'em. Hmm, we could lighten them up again too. As it stands right now, it takes 55-60GPM just to get the car off the line. No fuel left to push it down the track.

I could rant a bit more but ain't got time right now.
There would be no reason to regulate all those other things you talked about.the smaller pump brings all of those things into line anyway.

From ::: Drag Racing Online Magazine ::: Volume XII, Issue 4 - April 2010

"NHRA set to announce spec fuel pump for TF & FC for 2011
Several reliable sources have told the Agent that a decision is very near regarding spec fuel pumps for NHRA’s Top Fuel and Funny Cars. Our information is that NHRA will announce perhaps as soon as June that next year fuel pumps will be limited to between 50 and 60 GPM for Top Fuel with the Funny Car engines getting a smaller pump. Supposedly there will be a five-gallon difference between the Top Fuel pump and the Funny Car pump. Slowing down the cars and having fewer catastrophic explosions is the reason. A 50 GPM pump for a Fuel Funny car would be about half the volume they are currently using.

Reportedly Tim Wilkerson and John Force will test fuel pumps Monday after the race at Gateway."

If you want 1320 foot racing you have to do something drastic!

Like i have said before in another thread not to long ago, teams will just run lean for the edge and sacrafice there motors all over again. It is the high dollar teams that can afford to replace a flaming marshmellow,(a engine thats eats itself as it goes down the track) just look who constantly does it. Its a drag race and when you have money you do whatever it takes to when, if you dont have the budget you will try your hardest not to blow up. Not rocket science here. If i had money to waste i would do the same, but sorry i dont and dont like marshmellows. :)

“…in the late 1970’s… it was a… motorsport that was working on breaking the 200-mph barrier for doorslammers, the 300-mph barrier for fuel cars and the four-second pass…”

Huh...?

I am probably wrong but would imagine that the teams that have been doing this for years will have an advantage because I would imagine they would have all their data from the days of running enderle pumps upto the big 100gpm pumps they run now I doubt they would just get rid of all their data and tune up books.

After to listening to some things steve plueger has said in interviews they need to get rid of that minimum ci displacement rule.

Apart from the cars allready running how many AA fuel cars both dragsters and funny cars are being built right now getting ready to run in NHRA open competition?

Why not a progression 100 --90--80--70 gall.--see what works lets get back to1320 with 100%??

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back