My one interesting/fun day at Baytown (1 Viewer)

BF

Nitro Member
First of all, I sure am glad that they are only racing to 1000'. It seems to really help to prevent those massive explosions.....not. That was a couple of scary incidents.

Things heard in the stands #1: Young couple behind me, she's at her first race. Her boyfriend goes off to buy a beer while she's on the phone. Girl: "I've been here since f###in 10 o'clock this morning and I've seen some cars go down the track. Now he tells me they're going to rebuild the engines and come out again later. (pause) No, we're not arguing". They didn't return for second round qualifying.

Things heard in the stands #2: "You notice they don't have flames when they burn out. That's because they use "pump gasoline" on the burnout."

Things heard in the stands #3: While the fuel funny cars are running I hear a couple of other guys behind me talking. One says to the other, "I hear some of these cars use injected alcohol". It may have been the same guys with the "pump gasoline" line...I didn't turn around to look.

And finally, good seeing the few Maters I did since I was only able to be there for one day. Joe was sitting a few rows behind me and I made a point to see a few of us at the NAPA pit. (the usual suspects, ha)

You can hear some strange stories in the stands ! And the more beer consumed the stranger the storuies become !!
It's interesting and sometimes hilarious and hard to keep from laughing ! Or keep from choking on a hot dog !! :D ;)

Now team Geico is doing the KISS CAM! OH DEAR GOD NO!! :eek::eek::eek:
Bad enough it happens at WWE Live shows when the Great Khali is doing it!

add on..Speaking of Wrestling former WCW Star Stevie Ray is there, no Booker T & Sharmell however :rolleyes:

Last edited:
You can hear some strange stories in the stands ! And the more beer consumed the stranger the stories become !!
It's interesting and sometimes hilarious and hard to keep from laughing ;)

I'm sure the stories happen but I guess I have been blessed by sitting near knowledgeable fans for the most part in all the years (30+) that I have been attending drag races, AHRA and NHRA. It may help that they don't sell beer or any alcohol at the Gatornationals as that has been my primary track to attend for about the last 20 years. (Not that there isn't alot of drinking going on, you just have to do it out in the parking lot at your car or transportation of choice.) That being said, I'm sure that of the 20-40,000 fans that attend the Gators in a weekend, I would bet tons of them are first timers or are there for the noise and spectacle and not big-time followers of drag racing like most on this board.

How about this one, "There is something wrong with the win lights, that is the 3rd time i seen the faster time win" His friends response, "They only work on Sunday. This is just qualifying". I thought that was hillarious.

Drag Racing is an acquired taste. We should all strive to make the new person experience as enjoyable as possible. That would include not embarrassing the new people when they say something "ill-informed".

I've been a fan for forty years, and there's still lots of stuff about drag car tech I do not know!

-90% jimmy

Barry it was good seeing you for that short time, Hope your wife is feeling better and maybe I'll see you next year!

I'm sure the stories happen but I guess I have been blessed by sitting near knowledgeable fans for the most part in all the years (30+) that I have been attending drag races, AHRA and NHRA.

Go to Pomona and sit on the pit side about the 800' mark about halfway up the stands. And then just listen and rnjoy the "experts" IT IS HILARIOUS !!
There is always the one guy that wants to impress friends with his "knowledge".............
I've been going to the drags for 50+ years and I've heard LOTS of wild stories in the stands !! :D And Pomona since 1970....

its always funny hearing these comments. I like sitting by newbies sometimes so that I can teach them the sport I love...now sometimes you get the know it alls that have no desire to hear anything different then what they know, however usually once you answer one question they tend to come back for more.

Still it is funny to hear the remarks sometimes

Great to see you Barry! My best to your family! :)

Oh, and I don't even wanna start with what WE heard and saw in the stands last weeked!

Barry it was good seeing you for that short time, Hope your wife is feeling better and maybe I'll see you next year!

http://www.nitromater.com/members/barry-feyh-albums-houston-2010.html

I uploaded a couple of pics...you might recognize a guy in one of them Joe.

Someone should write a book on what is heard in stands. I'm sure it would be very entertaining. The girl behind me also asked her boyfriend if the nitro smell was safe to breathe all day long. The wind was blowing just right for us to get a good dose when the fuel cars were running, it was great.

One guy was telling us that the 289 Ford engine was designed by Chevrolet ! But couldn't patent it bacause it was too close to a 283 so thet sold it to Ford ! But that is one of the mild stories............:D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back