Could it work? (1 Viewer)

It seems every year there are those who feel that this sport has to be re-invented so that Joe Lunchpail Racer can afford to go Fuel racing! For racers who want budget Fuel racing, there's Nostalgia racing!

I heard of that guy. Is he any relation to Joe Bag-O-Donuts? :D

Joe, we all have our opinions, and I know you are a very passionate fan. But come on, something has to changed, it's actually being changed for us. I mean, KALITTA is scaling back because of business uncertainty. The fuel cars have been for way too long just a rich guy's playground, with just a smattering of real sponsorships through the years. Like you, we all would love things to be unlimited forever, but it can't be. When we've gotten to the point where the best funded team is an oil baron from another country, and our own team owners are crying uncle, something has to change. Otherwise, soon we'll be seeing such a watered down show it really won't be exciting (or unpredictable) to see who wins.

For racers who want budget Fuel racing, there's Nostalgia racing!

I agree with Joe ,
also add in the Nitro spectators, that's why we are getting more N/FC match races for 2009.
The big show cars are now out of the budget, and track prep work for the smaller tracks.
No reserved seating or top eliminator club costs either at Cordova ,
just ten hours of racing for $25 bucks, well maybe some beer & bs too !

In the '60s , the small sign in our speed shop window below the display Nitro 392
......."Speed takes money, how fast can your wallet go ? " ..........

In my very humble opinion, it does not have to be one or the other. National event TF & FC AND the restricted fuel classes to tour and give a place for those on a budget. It accomplishes two things. First it gives an outlet for the lesser funded and it provides a true feeder circuit for those on the way up(if they choose). I know I don't count for much if anything, (I would have to have at least two promotions to make it up to armchair crewchief:))but I think it is a great idea!! :)

Last edited:
What about something as simple at not using VHT in the track prep procedure?
Unless that’s a safety issue why wouldn’t that help slow the cars down?

"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future." John F. Kennedy

The business end of Professional Drag Racing IS changing. Money is not the only reason many teams are being parked, even though it is usually given as the reason. Those involved understand what I am saying. I think it would be too time consuming trying to explain to those not involved.

More individuals need to be enticed to become participants in professional drag racing. To do this, the cars need to become simpler to run, require less crew members, become safer and cost less. The suggestions that came from our PRI conversation would accomplish most of that. The problem becomes the A/FD class, because of their ets and speed, so those cars and participants need to be incomporated into the Top Fuel class. TAD needs to be slowed down to the high 5 second area with blown alcohol only. There are hurdles and roadblocks to the above suggestions, but they are good suggestions and something needs to be done, and done soon.

Lee Beard's suggestion of fewer events is a good suggestion for race teams, but it will not be approved because of the loss of revenue to the sanctioning body and tracks that lose events.

I also like his rule that if you want to complain about a situation, come up with a solution. I agree with all the solutions above.

What are your solutions to curb the current trends, i.e. cost of participating, safety, decline in number of teams, in professional drag racing?

"Do or Do Not. There is no try." Yoda, the Empire Strikes Back

I would think the business end of drag racing means viable entertainment that people are willing to pay to see. I think the pro classes should be affordable enough that (very hard) working class or at least small business owners can make it into the bottoms of the fields.

I don't disrespect the Bruton Smith daughters of the world who can just one day decide to do it but, I know who I appreciate more. Maybe you have to be a little more hardcore than the average fan to know who comes from where but, I think the sport was more popular when people could root for people they could more relate to.

I remember an article about Dale Creasy Sr. a long time ago that detailed how he was able to make a profit with his one shot qualifying deal. That formed my personal goals for several years.

I'm reminded of the thread here by the person who was baffled as to why spectators in our sport care about the costs for the competitors.

I wouldn't worry about AJPE. He could figure out a way to make wheelbarrows of cash if reduced to lawnmower racing.

I'm sure he could but that wasn't what I was referring to.I was talking from a business stand point what does he do with excess stock of all those Heads?
I bet you he would be some what concerned about it believe me any businessman would!;)

I was talking from a business stand point what does he do with excess stock of all those Heads?;)

What part of anything that has been posted on this thread would create an "excess stock of all those heads"? Nothing is being banned or obsoleted, just one or two less clutch discs per run, one less mag, 8 less spark plugs, and smaller gears in your existing fuel pump. And there are adapters available to change dual plug valve covers to single plug.

If there were more teams, there would be more available customers for new and used heads, therefore he would be in a position to make more money by selling more equipment.

What part of anything that has been posted on this thread would create an "excess stock of all those heads"? Nothing is being banned or obsoleted, just one or two less clutch discs per run, one less mag, 8 less spark plugs, and smaller gears in your existing fuel pump. And there are adapters available to change dual plug valve covers to single plug.

If there were more teams, there would be more available customers for new and used heads, therefore he would be in a position to make more money by selling more equipment.

He manufactures dual plug heads.Not built to order don’t you think if they went to single magneto with a single plug head set up that would affect his stock?
This thread said smaller pumps with a single magneto.
Don't over estimate the current condition of our economy, we haven't seen the bottom yet, your going to see enimic fields no matter which way they decide to go! ;)
I'm for the idea if it get's back to racing 1320!

He manufactures dual plug heads.Not built to order don’t you think if they went to single magneto with a single plug head set up that would affect his stock?
This thread said smaller pumps with a single magneto.
Don't over estimate the current condition of our economy, we haven't seen the bottom yet, your going to see enimic fields no matter which way they decide to go! ;)
I'm for the idea if it get's back to racing 1320!

I have a pair of Brad dual plug heads that have never had fuel rails in them and have had the "other" spark plug hole blocked off for their entire lives. I'm not sure how many tuners would think having a plugged hole would be worse than no hole.

I don't think Alan Johnson will be in a soup line either way. I bet he could afford to live a few more lifetimes if he had to. :D

I think the economy is another reason TO do this. Make use of the nostalgia racers who'd be willing to update their chassis, rear, etc to run NHRA. Seeing nostalgia cars in NHRA national events, even if they're just first round fodder, would be great, IMO. Better than bye runs. A big name car smoking in the first round would remind me of a noseguard friend of mine picking up his one fumble and running it back for a touchdown!

Last edited:
I have a pair of Brad dual plug heads that have never had fuel rails in them and have had the "other" spark plug hole blocked off for their entire lives. I'm not sure how many tuners would think having a plugged hole would be worse than no hole.

I don't think Alan Johnson will be in a soup line either way. I bet he could afford to live a few more lifetimes if he had to. :D

I think the economy is another reason TO do this. Make use of the nostalgia racers who'd be willing to update their chassis, rear, etc to run NHRA. Seeing nostalgia cars in NHRA national events, even if they're just first round fodder, would be great, IMO. Better than bye runs. A big name car smoking in the first round would remind me of a noseguard friend of mine picking up his one fumble and running it back for a touchdown!

I don't think he is as well off as you would think Ron if he was he wouldn't need the sheiks money to run his own team now would he. ;)
When he makes the forbes list then I will agree with you. :p

I don't think he is as well off as you would think Ron if he was he wouldn't need the sheiks money to run his own team now would he. ;)

Well . . . I don't have any idea what AJ's financial situation is, but the Pro teams I have been associated with have always operated on the OPM financial model. - ;)

I don't think he NEEDS the sheiks money. He's a businessman. If he doesn't take it, someone else will be eager to. Anyone who's able to sell BBC heads for north of $7,000 a pair? I'd wouldn't want to know how much he's banked over the years between parts and crewchiefing. If he ended up in a financial bind after what he's accomplished in the past due to a rules change now, that would be his fault alone.

I wouldn't "not" do this because of what it might do to Alan Johnson. He may go right to work developing the optimum 40 gallon head.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back