Sponsorship (1 Viewer)

Speed1288

Nitro Member
Hey everyone I have a few questions about a sponsorship proposal I am looking to make. Through a contact at work I have found a place that is looking to possibly sponsor a local racer. It is a small but growing ice cream chain. Now here is the hard part, I've never put together a proposal such as this. From the sponsored racers out there what are some of the basics that go into these? I have a few idea floating around in my mind but would love to know of any other ideas to put into it. Thanks as always for the advice.

While I haven't pitched sponsorship for racing before, I have pitched some film production to producers.

The main idea when putting a package together is "How is your target going to benefit from what your offering." I would say about a 12 to 14 page proposal that includes a glossary, an executive summary, a breakdown of demographics, and so on. Take their logo and photoshop it on you car/trailer and crew shirts and include it in the package. Talk about promotional handouts, average amount of people that attend the races you go to, other events you display your car at, how you can display your car in front of their business etc.

just some thought off the top of my head. Good luck with this.

A couple of other thoughts that came up. At some point the question will come up of what are you going to want in return, so you better be prepared to answer that.

A sponsorship relationship is no different than any other business relationship, so take your actions as so. Google sponsorship or business preposal to get an example as what one should look like.

Give them you history, team bios, history on the class you run, how many cars are in the class, etc. Anything else that pertains to what your racing is all about. Most importantly, make everythihng positive.

The most important thing this proposal must contain is, how you are going to sell more ice cream.

Don't do anything until you can do just as Jay suggests. If you can't answer or address how you are going to increase their $ALE$ with a well thought out plan, sit tight until you can.

Hey everyone I have a few questions about a sponsorship proposal I am looking to make. Through a contact at work I have found a place that is looking to possibly sponsor a local racer. It is a small but growing ice cream chain. Now here is the hard part, I've never put together a proposal such as this. From the sponsored racers out there what are some of the basics that go into these? I have a few idea floating around in my mind but would love to know of any other ideas to put into it. Thanks as always for the advice.

I'm not sure if he still posts on here, but try contacting fellow nitromater member Jay Rathman. He runs a sports promotion company and can provide ideas. Good luck :)

Ken, Rich Bailey has extensive experience with marketing and promoting. Has gotten some impressive sponsors in the process. Send him a PM!

Here is another take on the subject:

You have heard they possibly could be looking to sponsor a local racer, correct? Do you know what type of car? Driver preferences? Preference of tracks they want to be represented at?

Once you get answers to those questions you will see if you fit into their parameters.

If you fit, then you need to find out what their goals are for the sponsorship. You cannot sell their product, you can only provide an advertising vehicle that either creates recognition, POP foot traffic or a place to provide samples. Maybe they just want to be a part of a team but don't want to own anything, so putting a little money up as a sponsor allows them the access. Maybe they want something for employee moral.

With answers to these questions you can start thinking about a proposal.

Next questions need to be about budget, theirs in particular. Also talk to them about what they feel the car should look like, uniforms, and support vehicles.

All of these questions need to be asked of the decision makers of the company. Then form a proposal that starts off with your proposed program to fulfill their stated desires. Use a lot of pictures and big type, get to the point and don't be wordy. Make sure the cost of the program is in line with their budget. Spell out the results you are proposing and a way to monitor and report them to the company.

If you talk to the people involved first, your proposal will be on target and read. Most proposals miss the company's goals and are tossed immediately. Try to get an informal meeting early, have facts in your head about what you can do, where you can do it, and how much cost is involved. Take existing photos of you, your crew, your car and operation to the meeting. You never know what is going to spark the interest in you that will get you in the door. And make sure the vehicle you drive up in is neat and clean. You would be surprised how many people judge you by the appearance of your daily driver.

Very well put Mr. Hartman (sorry but until we meet in person, I will show respect and call you by your sir name) that is some good advice for anyone looking to build a relationship.

Image is everything and will yours match well with theirs. You don't have to have the latest state-of-the-art equipment, but something that is neat, clean and attractive is certainly beneficial.

Very well put Mr. Hartman (sorry but until we meet in person, I will show respect and call you by your sir name) that is some good advice for anyone looking to build a relationship.QUOTE]

I have been called many things over time, Mr Hartman isn't that bad. But for anyone who wishes, my name is Virgil and I answer to that the quickest.

Besides a good proposal...here's how you find new sponsors....I've been sharing this for years and I'll be darned if it didn't work for me yet again....I think! But the point is be sure to display your car at public events where there is a lot of people and sometimes that right prospect will approach you about sponsoring the car. Some that approach you are BSer's but most are not and you have to take everyone of them serious but also with a grain of salt until you know they are ready to cut a check. If you already have someone lined up again promise and deliver more displays. Besides the track, you will be surprised how many deals can be made doing a display.

to read more go to my website: ProMotion Motorsports Design

Thanks Joe for your kind words!

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back