Digital Camera help... (1 Viewer)

Alan

Nitro Member
My wife has been wanting a small digital camera, so that she doesn't always have to carry her Nikon with us. She is into photography, and I am clueless!! :D

Anyhow, I was thinking of getting her a small camera for Xmas, and was looking at the Canon SD1000 and Canon A570. Both get excellent reviews, so I am lost. Any advice or recommendations??

My wife has been wanting a small digital camera, so that she doesn't always have to carry her Nikon with us. She is into photography, and I am clueless!! :D

Anyhow, I was thinking of getting her a small camera for Xmas, and was looking at the Canon SD1000 and Canon A570. Both get excellent reviews, so I am lost. Any advice or recommendations??

Alan,
I recently went from a DSLR to a point and shoot camera. I used the reviews on CNET.com to decide, they have some good comparisons of shooting speed and multiple shots over similar P&S cameras. My experience is that NO P&S camera ever comes close to a DSLR (I use a Rebel XTi) so there is always a compromise - BUT a P&S is alot easier to carry around, and if something happens to it, it's only a P&S camera.. :)

I think the SD1000 is the nicer camera, very small and takes decent pictures with a good video option.

My P&S is a little Kodak EasyShare DX4530. Nothing fancy, fits nicely in a purse

Kodak EasyShare DX4530 zoom digital camera
Camera screen Transmissive reflective LCD with anti-glare coating; 1.8 in. (45.7 mm); color; 72,000 pixels

Preview rate: 20.4 fps

Color 24-bit, millions of colors

Communication with computer - USB Via USB cable or camera dock

Dimensions Width 4.3 in. (110.5 mm), Depth 1.5 in. (39.0 mm) , Height 2.6 in. (66.0 mm) , Weight 7.4 oz (210 g) with battery and card

Samples of pictures taken with this camera on an ugly overcast day 3 of Maple Grove:

100_3252.jpg

100_3182.jpg

100_3206.jpg

I have a canon sd750 and it knows what i dont about using
it or photography
and it was inexspensive.only problem is the 7.1 pixel when you enlarge the
pictures to poster size they will be grainy unless you have one of the photo
stores do it for you.a 12.1 works better for posters but they are more exspensive.the canons are good cameras as long as know one stands in your
way but i guess thats true for all cameras exspensive or not.

I have a canon sd750 and it knows what i dont about using
it or photography
and it was inexspensive.only problem is the 7.1 pixel when you enlarge the
pictures to poster size they will be grainy unless you have one of the photo
stores do it for you.a 12.1 works better for posters but they are more exspensive.the canons are good cameras as long as know one stands in your
way but i guess thats true for all cameras exspensive or not.

I'm not worried about blowing something up poster size, she has her Nikon D-series for that. Simply looking for a small camera that's a little easier to carry around for certain things. So far, CNET (thanks Brian, great site that I had never seen) rates the Canon SD1000 pretty highly for a small point and shoot.

I use a Casio EX-S600 that does a bunch of different things! It is 6 megapixels and is no bigger than the size of a credit card. It is very user friendly for both my wife compared to my brother in law's Sony camera that he paid more for.

The Canon powershot "A" series cameras from what I have read are some of the best cameras in that price range.

Also, how much zoom are you looking for? If you need more than the Canons Panasonic has the DMC-FZ18, a camera with a huge 18x zoom. It doesn't fit in your pocket, though.

I have the Cannon A520 and love it. Took it to London recently. Here are a couple shots. You should be able to click on them to see them larger.

Alan, I highly recommend a SLR format camera, my first digital camera was a Kodak 6490. The pictures themselves were very good, but for a sport like Drag racing or any kind of action shooting you need SPEED! Turning the camera on......adjusting your Zoom....all that stuff takes about 2-3 secs and a lot of times you lose the shot! And when you think you have the shot most of the P&S's have at least a second delay on the shutter! Canon and Nikon rule the DSLR Roost, and the prices have come down quite a bit. I'm sure whatever you buy you'll be happy with!;)

Alan, I highly recommend a SLR format camera, my first digital camera was a Kodak 6490. The pictures themselves were very good, but for a sport like Drag racing or any kind of action shooting you need SPEED! Turning the camera on......adjusting your Zoom....all that stuff takes about 2-3 secs and a lot of times you lose the shot! And when you think you have the shot most of the P&S's have at least a second delay on the shutter! Canon and Nikon rule the DSLR Roost, and the prices have come down quite a bit. I'm sure whatever you buy you'll be happy with!;)

Joe, she actually has two Nikon D70 bodies and multiple lenses. She's shot weddings, taken pics at the drags for me, and done a lot of nature stuff with these. She simply wanted something she could throw in her purse for quick stuff, at birthdays, holidays, etc.

Joe, she actually has two Nikon D70 bodies and multiple lenses. She's shot weddings, taken pics at the drags for me, and done a lot of nature stuff with these. She simply wanted something she could throw in her purse for quick stuff, at birthdays, holidays, etc.

Now your talking a Huge Variety! I can't help you there.

I ended up getting her the Canon SD1000, and so far she seems pretty happy with it. Thanks for all the help!! :D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back