Help - Questions about 4wides in Charlotte! (1 Viewer)

Gary

Nitro Member
Hello fellow maters!
I haven't been to a race in a while. Life just keeps getting in the way. I'm finally going to Charlotte to check out Zmax and some 4 wide racing action courtesy of the best Christmas gift ever from my wife! I've never been to Charlotte - I was hoping to hear from some of you who have been there and may be able to offer some insight to the logistics associated with the track (and maybe some great BBQ recommendations!)

My youngest son is meeting me in Charlotte. (He's 25 and moved to Orlando with his wife and my grandkids!) Out of my 3 boys, he is the one who shares my passion for NHRA Drag Racing. I think last time we went to a race together Whit Bazemore was still driving and my son was real little. (been a long time!). So my wife bought us tickets for Charlotte - and...a month or so ago, my son who rides for a Christian BMX bicycle stunt team broke his leg - big time - while performing at the Central Florida Fair. He broke both his tibia and fibula (it was an ugly fall) and now has a steel rod and some pins holding his leg together. This is going to complicate things a little bit this weekend. He's on crutches but moves kinda slow!

So, first question, what is parking like? Will I be able to drop him off near a gate without a lot of hassle? Also, so I'm prepared, what are parking prices like? Is there a lot of parking near the track or am I going to hike a half mile after I park?

How is it set up inside? How far are the pro pits from the grandstands?

Does anyone know if you're allowed to bring your own food and drink into the track? I saw something about a limited size cooler but no real specifics on what's allowed or not?

Also, can I bring a digital SLR camera in with me to take pictures? It seems like I tried that once in Indy and was told to go put it in the car!

Any tips, suggestions, etc. are appreciated.

If there are any mater meetings happening we'd love to come by and say hi.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Best,
Gary

Hey, guys!

Someone want to help Gary out?

Only a few days left before the race!

My Wife and I will be there Friday only. It will also be my first 4 wide (I am a not a fan of the idea either). I was at the September 2011 and 2016 race. I went only on Friday, so parking was not a big issue ($5 I think). Most of the Pro Pits are within 500 feet of the NE end of the stands. Traffic flow from the pits to stands is good on Fridays, but I can't say about Saturday or Sunday. I used the steps so that will be slow with your son (they do have an elevator according to the track map). I have not tried to take in food or a camera, so I can't suggest anything there. I do like the track and the way the space is used under the stands (pit side) with restrooms, concessions, and some tables.

My Wife and I will be there Friday only. It will also be my first 4 wide (I am a not a fan of the idea either). I was at the September 2011 and 2016 race. I went only on Friday, so parking was not a big issue ($5 I think). Most of the Pro Pits are within 500 feet of the NE end of the stands. Traffic flow from the pits to stands is good on Fridays, but I can't say about Saturday or Sunday. I used the steps so that will be slow with your son (they do have an elevator according to the track map). I have not tried to take in food or a camera, so I can't suggest anything there. I do like the track and the way the space is used under the stands (pit side) with restrooms, concessions, and some tables.

Hey Dave, thanks for responding! Looking forward to an exciting weekend.

Gary was asking for logistical hep, not really anything to do with 4 Wide racing.

Sorry I can't help, Charlotte is one of the few tracks on tour that I haven't been to.
Was my answer to why there was no response to his question. I don't think many on the Mater have been there because of the 4 wide racing.

Hello fellow maters!
I haven't been to a race in a while. Life just keeps getting in the way. I'm finally going to Charlotte to check out Zmax and some 4 wide racing action courtesy of the best Christmas gift ever from my wife! I've never been to Charlotte - I was hoping to hear from some of you who have been there and may be able to offer some insight to the logistics associated with the track (and maybe some great BBQ recommendations!)

My youngest son is meeting me in Charlotte. (He's 25 and moved to Orlando with his wife and my grandkids!) Out of my 3 boys, he is the one who shares my passion for NHRA Drag Racing. I think last time we went to a race together Whit Bazemore was still driving and my son was real little. (been a long time!). So my wife bought us tickets for Charlotte - and...a month or so ago, my son who rides for a Christian BMX bicycle stunt team broke his leg - big time - while performing at the Central Florida Fair. He broke both his tibia and fibula (it was an ugly fall) and now has a steel rod and some pins holding his leg together. This is going to complicate things a little bit this weekend. He's on crutches but moves kinda slow!

So, first question, what is parking like? Will I be able to drop him off near a gate without a lot of hassle? Also, so I'm prepared, what are parking prices like? Is there a lot of parking near the track or am I going to hike a half mile after I park?

How is it set up inside? How far are the pro pits from the grandstands?

Does anyone know if you're allowed to bring your own food and drink into the track? I saw something about a limited size cooler but no real specifics on what's allowed or not?

Also, can I bring a digital SLR camera in with me to take pictures? It seems like I tried that once in Indy and was told to go put it in the car!

Any tips, suggestions, etc. are appreciated.

If there are any mater meetings happening we'd love to come by and say hi.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Best,
Gary

I go to zMax twice a year for the Spring and Fall race, and it's always an enjoyable experience! I'll be there on Sunday with my girlfriend.....the biggest question is whether or not the weather will hold out for the weekend.

So to answer your questions:

• Parking is $5 and there are lots in front of the track as well as across the street. The walk from the furthest spots maybe a 1/4 of a mile at most, but zMax runs shuttles very frequently that you can jump on and takes you right to the front gate. You should have no problem dropping off your son right up front before you park the car, just head right up the main entrance to the turnaround.
  • It's according to where your seats are as to whether the pits are close. If you are in the John Force grandstand, the pro pits are behind and to the north of the grandstands, pretty easy walking distance.
  • Guests may bring a 14" by 14" by 14" cooler into zMAX Dragway containing food and beverage, provided that all substances contained in the cooler are legal and there are no glass containers or other potentially hazardous materials. All coolers, backpacks and other types of carrying cases will be searched upon entry. (copied from the zMax website). I take a backpack in every year and never had a problem.
  • The guy that sits next to me every year brings a pretty good sized camera (SLR), so I would assume you would have no issues at all with that.
You'll have a great time! The track is beautiful and everything is very well kept.

Below is a diagram of the track and parking to help you.

cms_dragway1 copy_page_1_800x600.png

Can't really add much to what Michael said....they have trams, and golf carts are always roaming around looking for people to help out, so you shouldn't have any problems. I've never been turned away with a cooler or a bag, both of which they marginally search.

I generally go to both races, but skipped last Fall in favor of taking my youngest to Pomona, and this is his birthday this weekend, so we have family in, so we're skipping the four wides as well (fine by me, I prefer the side by side, but the four wide is still fun).

Oh and the concessions aren't near as good as they used to be. Bring your own food.

I go to zMax twice a year for the Spring and Fall race, and it's always an enjoyable experience! I'll be there on Sunday with my girlfriend.....the biggest question is whether or not the weather will hold out for the weekend.

So to answer your questions:

• Parking is $5 and there are lots in front of the track as well as across the street. The walk from the furthest spots maybe a 1/4 of a mile at most, but zMax runs shuttles very frequently that you can jump on and takes you right to the front gate. You should have no problem dropping off your son right up front before you park the car, just head right up the main entrance to the turnaround.
  • It's according to where your seats are as to whether the pits are close. If you are in the John Force grandstand, the pro pits are behind and to the north of the grandstands, pretty easy walking distance.
  • Guests may bring a 14" by 14" by 14" cooler into zMAX Dragway containing food and beverage, provided that all substances contained in the cooler are legal and there are no glass containers or other potentially hazardous materials. All coolers, backpacks and other types of carrying cases will be searched upon entry. (copied from the zMax website). I take a backpack in every year and never had a problem.
  • The guy that sits next to me every year brings a pretty good sized camera (SLR), so I would assume you would have no issues at all with that.
You'll have a great time! The track is beautiful and everything is very well kept.

Below is a diagram of the track and parking to help you.

View attachment 4029

Hi Michael,
I appreciate the info - thank you! I'm pretty excited about going this weekend! I'm driving down from Pittsburgh, PA. (leaving real early!) My son is flying up from Florida. It'll be interesting to see how the weather holds. From what I see Fri and Sat look ok, Sunday - fingers crossed!
Best,
Gary

Can't really add much to what Michael said....they have trams, and golf carts are always roaming around looking for people to help out, so you shouldn't have any problems. I've never been turned away with a cooler or a bag, both of which they marginally search.

I generally go to both races, but skipped last Fall in favor of taking my youngest to Pomona, and this is his birthday this weekend, so we have family in, so we're skipping the four wides as well (fine by me, I prefer the side by side, but the four wide is still fun).

Oh and the concessions aren't near as good as they used to be. Bring your own food.

Thanks Mark!

For watching race cars, Saturday is always the best, Final qualifying for the Pro's and several rounds of eliminations for ALL of the Sportsman classes. Usually, morning to evening action.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back