Could it work? (1 Viewer)

Treeshaker

Nitro Member
At the PRI show this past weekend, a group was BSing in the isle and it was brought up that a proposal had been made to NHRA on a way to slow the cars down inexpensively. This proposal was to limit the nitro cars to a 60 gallon fuel pump (just a change of gear sets), one mag (44 amp max), and a four disc clutch (cut the stands shorter and take out a disc and floater).

The proposal was rejected by NHRA, but the racers and track operators in this BSing group thought it had merit for several reasons that I won't go into here. I was then asked if I would gather information about the interest by racers and tracks on using this proposal as the cornerstone for open nitro events and match races. Other options discussed were any body style/year for FC, stagger pump size for TF and FC to run them together, and length of runs.

The reasons I was asked to gather the information include, but not limited to, that I do not have any cars right now, I have some nitro experience, know a few people on both sides, and am a gluton for punishment on the internet.

So, e-mail me your thoughts to [email protected] and I will compile what I get and pass it along to those interested. Please remember that I am not booking cars, do not have a car, do not have any race dates or tracks to put you into contact with at this time, and do not have a pay out schedule for you. I am just gathering information about the interest level among racers and tracks.

maybe it is time to try and turning the a-fuel cars loose 100% nitro as a
jump start to top fuel if the fields are not full, thinking outside the box a little, dare the suits to do that to easy!!! and yes we could see some independents other tha the same ole names and faces:cool:

Bama Boyz:eek:

Last edited:
Yes I think most of the lesser funded teams will come out and play, especially since they won't need to make 3 runs to get in and get that $9,000!!!!

Hasn't Pulde already tried the slower pump, 1 mag thing a couple of years ago? As I recall, they couldn't really get the thing to run.

Seems like Pulde's car ran 5.0's which is not a bad place for safety. What I don't remember is if he hurt many parts.............

At the PRI show this past weekend, a group was BSing in the isle and it was brought up that a proposal had been made to NHRA on a way to slow the cars down inexpensively. This proposal was to limit the nitro cars to a 60 gallon fuel pump (just a change of gear sets), one mag (44 amp max), and a four disc clutch (cut the stands shorter and take out a disc and floater).

The proposal was rejected by NHRA, but the racers and track operators in this BSing group thought it had merit for several reasons that I won't go into here. I was then asked if I would gather information about the interest by racers and tracks on using this proposal as the cornerstone for open nitro events and match races. Other options discussed were any body style/year for FC, stagger pump size for TF and FC to run them together, and length of runs.

The reasons I was asked to gather the information include, but not limited to, that I do not have any cars right now, I have some nitro experience, know a few people on both sides, and am a gluton for punishment on the internet.

So, e-mail me your thoughts to [email protected] and I will compile what I get and pass it along to those interested. Please remember that I am not booking cars, do not have a car, do not have any race dates or tracks to put you into contact with at this time, and do not have a pay out schedule for you. I am just gathering information about the interest level among racers and tracks.
'just a little nitro experience?' yes this very much could work, and i would support this idea. Good thinking Mr. H!

I think that now, more than ever, would be the time for a change like this.

It would slow the cars down so that the racing can go back to 1/4 mile.

It would make it easier for some of the A Fuel cars to step up to TF racing and that would solve another problem on the horizon.

It would cut the costs of TF racing which is becoming more and more of an issue by the day.

Pros T/F and F/C= Unblown 100% nitro, unlimited clutch

BAD/TAFC= Blown Alcohol with current clutch rules.

Hasn't Pulde already tried the slower pump, 1 mag thing a couple of years ago? As I recall, they couldn't really get the thing to run.

Apples to apples, Puldes tune up is fast and reliable. The problem was, they were trying it against the "standard NHRA tune up". On the nostagia scene, he and Plueger are more than competitive.

I believe they were running a big pump on the NHRA car.

Thanks for the post Mr. Hartman.

Question: It seems like back in the 70's, 80's, and 90's when any nitro percentage was allowed - that the fuel cars sounded awsome at an idle. They were loud and seemed to have a great sounding crackle to them - compared to the modern era blower/fuel pump/compression ratio/85-90% combinations. Is that an accurate statement Mr. Hartman? - or am I just dreaming of the good ol' days when the cars had "names". Ya know - "the Blue Max", "the War Eagle", "Jungle Jim", "the Chitown Hustler", "Candies & Hughes" etc etc. Am I just letting my imagination get carried away? I sure loved that era. :rolleyes:

Thanks - Dale

maybe it is time to try and turning the a-fuel cars loose 100% nitro as a
jump start to top fuel if the fields are not full, thinking outside the box a little, dare the suits to do that to easy!!! and yes we could see some independents other tha the same ole names and faces:cool:

Bama Boyz:eek:

I was laying in bed last night thinking the same thing.

Top fuel and Funny cars without Blowers?? God I hope not!!!!:confused:

Why not, Joe? Tradition? Remember there was a Nitro ban in our sport. I personally would rather hear a 100% unblown car vrs a Alcohol or gas anything. Neither the small pump cars or 85/90 percenters are that great sounding/flame belching.
I think if you take a TAFC poll, most would JUMP at the opportunity to run unblown fuel at a pro level and the Dragsters already exist (just need a clutch tweak). The current A/Fuel Dragsters with 100% and current T/F clutch technology will run some numbers, for sure.
Personally, I could handle a FULL field of these.

......... They were loud and seemed to have a great sounding crackle to them ...... compared to the modern era........

They now have roughly double the amount of fuel flow at idle, with 44amp mags, than what we flowed in the '80s with 5 amp magnetos.
The richness kills the sound at idle.
Plus the 97+ % Nitro that some teams ran back then definitively picks up the "cackle" quality.
The big sound now comes from the airflow improvements & pump size, with the welder mags.

On the tune-up topic,
I would prefer to also cut the blower speed down to save the maintenance / replacement costs. Same theory as the less clutch parts used by a 4-disc.
If you slow the blower to say 25% maximum, then the pumps will have to be smaller to match.

Taking one mag out gives the teams more spare parts, plus it's an easy tech !
Do it first , announce now for testing in Jan '09. Fifty Nitro teams run a single mag now , nothing new to buy.....
Well okay, new valve covers, but a lot fewer plugs and wires!
And then after testing runs with one mag ,start reducing the blower inlet size or overdrive.
After they start testing around 300 mph in the quarter , then allow the tuners up to 95% Nitro, and start racing again.

That way we get the lean cackle sound , and over 300 mph in 1320'............ ( as the Nitro gods intended)

Unblown nitro as the top fuel dragster and funny car classs....Thanks but I'll go park beside the Interstate and watch traffic. Nothing against the AFD's but that has NO appeal to me as a national event. Just would not travel across town to a national meet and pay the ticket price for that. I'm not alone in that thinking, How large are the crowds at a Div race?

Don't mind the 1000 foot, but limit them to 8 plugs, one mag and a smaller volume fuel pump. Let them run 100% or what ever they want but if you decrease the volume of fuel that it will/can burn the performance will come back to reasonable levels. Actually if you limit to one mag and 8 spark plugs you don't have to worry about fuel pumps or blower overdrive because they can't use burn a greater volume of fuel than one pump will produce. JMO

Why not, Joe? Tradition? Remember there was a Nitro ban in our sport. I personally would rather hear a 100% unblown car vrs a Alcohol or gas anything. Neither the small pump cars or 85/90 percenters are that great sounding/flame belching.
I think if you take a TAFC poll, most would JUMP at the opportunity to run unblown fuel at a pro level and the Dragsters already exist (just need a clutch tweak). The current A/Fuel Dragsters with 100% and current T/F clutch technology will run some numbers, for sure.
Personally, I could handle a FULL field of these.

John, if you think that A-Fuelers have anywhere near the adrenaline rush the Fuels have than I don't know what your thinking... Stand behind the bleachers whether your grabbing a burger, beer, whatever when the A-Fuel cars run vs the Fuel Cars. It's about a 20-30 db difference! I've done this experiment more times then I can count, it's not even close!

sounds more and more like a aa/dale tuneup. didn't mr. armstrong say it wouldn't cost anymore and had less parts breakage. the white shirts in glendora should take acouple high dollar teams , help with the cost and do some immediate testing. it's never to late.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back