NHRA Mandates Even More SFI Spec Safety Rules For Fuel Funny Car (1 Viewer)

Triple Nickel II

Nitro Member
NHRA Tech Bulletin: Adoption of SFI Spec for FC underbody coating
5/22/2008

The NHRA Technical Department has announced that, effective July 1, 2008, in fuel Funny Cars the underside of the body, including any roof area and all the composite components such as timer boxes, etc. must be covered with SFI Spec 54.1 flame-retardant covering or coating.

And, of course, this is another SFI spec that requires annual work.

In this case, not just recertification, but complete new coating according to SFI's website guide.

Maybe NHRA and SFI should just adopt the US Army's spec for a Bradley armored transport vehicle? That should just about guarantee a safe and funny car, lol.

More expenses!
Might be time for an increase in winnings!
I found it quite embarrasing last weekend when they were going over the costs of racing on the TV broadcasts, then they showed $40,000 to win. I'm sure that any new viewer watching that must have thought, "What kind of idiot spends $100,000 in a weekend for a chance to win $40,000?":cool:

In this case, not just recertification, but complete new coating according to SFI's website guide.

Could this have come about because Of Teach's small BBQ last Friday night? Seemed to take 'forever' to put out the underside of the body, and some controls.

d'kid

I found it quite embarrasing last weekend when they were going over the costs of racing on the TV broadcasts, then they showed $40,000 to win. I'm sure that any new viewer watching that must have thought, "What kind of idiot spends $100,000 in a weekend for a chance to win $40,000?":cool:

DING! DING ! DING!!!! I would think that would be the most intelligent assesment of the entire "Professional" aspect of our sport after last weekend's eye-opening telecast.

Wally never wanted anyone to try and make a LIVING doing this- it seems that is the only thing that the heads at Glendora have continued to honor..:rolleyes:

DING! DING ! DING!!!! I would think that would be the most intelligent assesment of the entire "Professional" aspect of our sport after last weekend's eye-opening telecast.

Wally never wanted anyone to try and make a LIVING doing this- it seems that is the only thing that the heads at Glendora have continued to honor..:rolleyes:

Almost Martin...

I do believe the decision was made in the early '60's that people with office space in Glendora would make a pretty good living with "This Thing of Ours".

Think that was the biggest conflict between Parks and Tice. Jim was willing to pay Tow & Appearance Money to those that put 'buts' in the seats...

Parks was all about being 'The only one that knew what was Best for His sport'. Get kids off the Streets? Heck, I couldn't afford all the Mandatory safety equipment my 'Super Stock' needed to run at an NHRA track (OCIR in the early '70's)... (roll bar, can, ect.) That's why I kept 'Street Racing' so long. 65 Belvedere, thing had headers on it when I found it on a dealer's back lot, it even had a bench seat... friend gave me a manifold, boss gave me a holly 750, and this was while I was making $40 a week pumpin' Ethel after school...

Finally did get a can, and all the other stuff in the car... Funny that my bone stock Mustang is almost as quick and fast as that old Dodge was...:p

d'kid
oh, oh, take the money and run... opp, ou, ou... yeah, take the money and run...

Almost Martin...

I do believe the decision was made in the early '60's that people with office space in Glendora would make a pretty good living with "This Thing of Ours".

Think that was the biggest conflict between Parks and Tice. Jim was willing to pay Tow & Appearance Money to those that put 'buts' in the seats...

Parks was all about being 'The only one that knew what was Best for His sport'. Get kids off the Streets? Heck, I couldn't afford all the Mandatory safety equipment my 'Super Stock' needed to run at an NHRA track (OCIR in the early '70's)... (roll bar, can, ect.) That's why I kept 'Street Racing' so long. 65 Belvedere, thing had headers on it when I found it on a dealer's back lot, it even had a bench seat... friend gave me a manifold, boss gave me a holly 750, and this was while I was making $40 a week pumpin' Ethel after school...

Finally did get a can, and all the other stuff in the car... Funny that my bone stock Mustang is almost as quick and fast as that old Dodge was...:p

d'kid
oh, oh, take the money and run... opp, ou, ou... yeah, take the money and run...
Karl you should have kept that one, A 1965 Dodge Belvedere.Would be worth a small fortune!:rolleyes:

Talked to Corradi today at Gotham City open house - this a very simple product. Really nothing to applying it, but it is dissolved by brake cleaner, so the front "box" has to be painted occasionally.

Good one Lance! Kind of reminds me of running for President too...spend millions for a $400k a year job. lol

I can see the not being a millionare doing it, but a least a break even chance might be a good concept.

Maybe NHRA and SFI should just adopt the US Army's spec for a Bradley armored transport vehicle? That should just about guarantee a safe and funny car, lol.

Something like this ... (Photo by Norman Blake/Draglist)

Hell%20on%20Wheels%20by%20Norman%20Blake.jpg

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back