Spec Fuel Pump in the future? (1 Viewer)

I do like the idea of only one change (the pump) instead of the spec engine.
To much to adjust to at once. I hope nhra lifts the test ban so the teams can figure it out over the winter. If they don't the fist few races will be a bust.

I see several say they hope this brings back 1320. Forget it gang, not gonna happen. Just like the count down, they're both here to stay.

So i hear rumor has it smaller pumps for top fuel & funnycar in 6 months. I think well, its about time. In 2004 after the wreck for our team i pleaded with NHRA on several occasions to somehow reduce the fuel volume in these cars to some degree. Even with a big suggestion on a realy cheap way to do it an control it. For them NHRA would be by the size of line OD & ID from the tank to the fuel pump. I dont care how big or small of pump you have.!!!!LOL. With a rule already enforced of no pressurization allowed of fuel tank. No brainer!!!LOL. (Cheap) $200.00

I do like the idea of only one change (the pump) instead of the spec engine.
To much to adjust to at once. I hope nhra lifts the test ban so the teams can figure it out over the winter. If they don't the fist few races will be a bust.

I see several say they hope this brings back 1320. Forget it gang, not gonna happen. Just like the count down, they're both here to stay.

Paul,
I thought the testing ban was only during the season, and they are allowed to test at will during the off season.
Did I misunderstand the rule?

Paul,
I thought the testing ban was only during the season, and they are allowed to test at will during the off season.
Did I misunderstand the rule?
Brian, testing is allowed in the off season, between the world finals, and the winternationals.

Last edited:
...next year fuel pumps will be limited to between 50 and 60 GPM for Top Fuel with the Funny Car engines getting a smaller pump...
The e-mail from NHRA stated maybe 55 gal.for T/F and 65 gals.for F/C...
Waterman built two 60 gal. pumps for Monday testing...

Last edited:
Can anyone explain why two different size pumps???
nhra standardizes everything else, tires, blowers, ect why not pumps??

Probably the body on the funny cars loads the engine more needing more fuel. Not that I have any experiance with one of those things but a body sure would load one of those things with that much downforce and with the way a mechanical fuel injection system works if the engine slowed down then you would not get as much fuel. I am probably wrong though.

Wow, If I want to see a nostalgia race, I'll go to an actual nostalgia race. No wonder NHRA hypes Pedregon v. Force and the like.

Can anyone explain why two different size pumps
This is early in the process, starting with testing 60 gallons on the F/C's...
I think by Indy the final rule will be made public...
The pump manufactures need time to make gears for everyone...
The heavier cars need more fuel, but five gallons on either side of sixty isn't a big deal after coming down from the current 100+...
I still have the tune-up data from when 65 gals. was the norm , times were 4.80s with a F/C in the good old 1320' ...

Will be interesting to see how the additional fuel management items (BDK, AJ, slide, etc) effect the output and efficiency of the low volume fuel pumps.

This is early in the process, starting with testing 60 gallons on the F/C's...
I think by Indy the final rule will be made public...
The pump manufactures need time to make gears for everyone...
The heavier cars need more fuel, but five gallons on either side of sixty isn't a big deal after coming down from the current 100+...
I still have the tune-up data from when 65 gals. was the norm , times were 4.80s with a F/C in the good old 1320' ...

Are you sure they were "Only" running 65 GPM at 4.80's????

Great article, thanks fort posting it.

I could live with 4.60s @ 318 and 1320....
What were they running for a final gear ration back then?

What else has changed to slow the cars down since then?

There were running 62GPM pumps.

I also could live with that type of performance. If this new pump would limit the chances for major explosions, than have at it. I still think at certain tracks you can not go back to 1/4 mile racing due to track length, Pomona and E-Town come to mind. The new sand trap containment systems have not been tested with a heavy Fuel car entering the trap at a high rate of speed, so the extra 320ft could be helpful at the shorter tracks.

Great article, thanks fort posting it.

I could live with 4.60s @ 318 and 1320....
What were they running for a final gear ration back then?

What else has changed to slow the cars down since then?

There were running 62GPM pumps.

NHRA changed the gear ratio from 2.90 to 3.20 beginning in 1990. At the end of the '89 season the top fuel records were 4.91 @ 294.88. Top fuelers weren't running in the 4.60s until about 1995.

Here is a cool article from Popular Mechanics from Jan. 1990 about top fuel.
Popular Mechanics - Google Books

I am sure that's what I was running then, that's the advantage of keeping my data from the "old days"...
My tune-ups from 86 work great for the nostalgia funny cars today...
Probably my notes from '67 won't come back...

Wow...Hard to believe that it took another 30-40 GPM to get in the 4.60's!

DRO is reporting that Jeff Arend went 5.06 @ 274 and change on the pump to the quarter mile on Monday. Low 4.90's @ 295 can't be far off with time and tuning.

Talked to a fuel pump manufacturer over the weekend. They are ready to produce the units should the rule be handed down.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back