Some will hate me (1 Viewer)

I don't hate you. That would be a waste of emotion on my part. I think you're obnoxious for telling other people what they "really think". Does Kurt have a history of "whining"?

Maybe I'll get the free psychoanalysis bit, too! :D

Here! Let ME take a crack at it! Kurt was "complaining" and you're the one doing the "whining"? I think YOU hate you! :D

lol-1.gif

Kurt WAS whining, but they never should have sent the first pair of stockers down the lanes. Reminds me of Anderson *****ing along with everybody else about a race.....correct me.........2 years ago when they flipped a couple of cars.

Should have postponed the whole deal. Great way to start the year.

While listening to the audiocast, it sounded like it was "when" and not "if" a cars was going to crash. All four pro stockers had problems. Fortunately it started to rain. NHRA would of continued to send cars down the track until someone crashed. Similar situation in Vegas 2 last year when they ran Comp eliminator late on Saturday. Second or third pair down Alan Freese totaled his car and then they pulled the plug for the night.

I do not see why it is the tracks fault or the NHRA's fault if someone wrecks their car.
Abort the run, simple as that or finesse it on down there.
Not everyone likes it but I really enjoy seing cars slipping and sliding w/ the drivers having to drive the cars..

Abort the run? Easier to say when not in competition with a lot at stake like potential sponsors, championship points, money, etc.

I think it would be fair if NHRA forgets that they ran those two pairs and start fresh tomorrow with all 16 cars again.

NHRA needs to re-run the first two pairs when racing resumes. It wasn't KJ's fault or any of the others either,I'm not even blaming NHRA but they need to re-run them.

Well he didn't lie but two things , Eh three things well maybe four!

The weather , blame global warming or Al Gore !

Racing , you can always quit and go play tennis !

The Safari worked their butts off just to get the race in.

I understand it but I hate it when one lane handicaps the race but a little secret there.
Getting down that RIGHT lane separated the men from the boys !
It was made really obvious when Ron Capps and company read the lane so well he gave it a quick peddle at a hundred feet or so right when it started hazing and before it lost traction and he blasted that thing straight down the track for a first round win against John Force .

THAT'S DRAG RACING !

Last edited:
The Fords would have won had they been in the field. Not enough HP to spin the tires! lol Just kidding, I'm a Ford guy, but that was too big an opening to let go by. :)

I do not see why it is the tracks fault or the NHRA's fault if someone wrecks their car.
Abort the run, simple as that or finesse it on down there.
Not everyone likes it but I really enjoy seing cars slipping and sliding w/ the drivers having to drive the cars..

Terry, its not NHRA's fault that the track was unsafe. Its a combination of the weather and not having any car ran down it. It was highly unsafe for fast doorcars to be going down that track. Personally, if it was me, I'd elected to lose the round and stay in the trailer. Oh well. No need in demolishing a half million dollar investment. If they finished that round, we'd have several wrecked race cars.

While its not NHRA's fault for the track being unsafe, it is there fault for not calling the race and trying to make them run on a unsafe racetrack. If I'm not mistaken, wasnt the whole purpose of the NHRA being started to provide a SAFE place for drag racing to happen? Thats what I thought.

My dad took his dragster out to HRP last night. Track sucked, no rubber down, it was cool and slick and he started skating around about 1/8th mile, he lifted, drove it back to the trailer and loaded it up and we went home.

Well whoops, Yea feel like an idiot, apparently yea idk what happend........thanks for everyone's opinions, sorry for runnin my mouth guess I should watch things closer lol. thanks for pointin that out wayne.

Dang Matt, I think you've managed to embarrass the Ford guys around here as well. Kurt was right on with his comments, they had no business running those cars in those conditions.
NHRA needs to re-run the first two pairs when racing resumes. It wasn't KJ's fault or any of the others either,I'm not even blaming NHRA but they need to re-run them.
I agree Mike, the conditions will obviously be better for the other 6 pair of cars, they should all get to compete under the same conditions.

I agree with several of the last posts, that those 2 sets of Pro Stock cars that ran should be given do-overs today as none of those cars got down the track safely. The left lane was horrible and the right lane was slippery and we could have lost a couple cars. I have NEVER seen a Pro Stock car wad up the tires as bad as KJ did at the hit. And 2 or 3 times when he tried to dump the clutch. That was a joke and Kurt was just stating the truth. I'm sure NHRA will not re-run the Pro Stock cars as then the Top Fuel and Funny Car teams will complain as well and say it was unfair to them to have to run on the same unsafe track. Bummer for everyone, racers and fans.

I agree with several of the last posts, that those 2 sets of Pro Stock cars that ran should be given do-overs today as none of those cars got down the track safely. The left lane was horrible and the right lane was slippery and we could have lost a couple cars. I have NEVER seen a Pro Stock car wad up the tires as bad as KJ did at the hit. And 2 or 3 times when he tried to dump the clutch. That was a joke and Kurt was just stating the truth. I'm sure NHRA will not re-run the Pro Stock cars as then the Top Fuel and Funny Car teams will complain as well and say it was unfair to them to have to run on the same unsafe track. Bummer for everyone, racers and fans.

In the first pair, David Beckly vs V. Gaines, it was easy for me to just assumed Beckly fell victim to rookie status and inexperience when his car suffered a horrible launch. I mean, he's a tyro, right? But whet Kurt, an experienced driver, did the exact same thing, in the exact same lane, it became quite obvious that if NHRA didn't pull the plug (Which they correctly did) this would get ugly.

In the first pair, David Beckly vs V. Gaines, it was easy for me to just assumed Beckly fell victim to rookie status and inexperience when his car suffered a horrible launch. I mean, he's a tyro, right? But whet Kurt, an experienced driver, did the exact same thing, in the exact same lane, it became quite obvious that if NHRA didn't pull the plug (Which they correctly did) this would get ugly.

David Beckley's car is set up by Allen Johnson's guys-somehow I don't think they are rookies. BTW, maybe it's just because I'm a comp car owner (and you know they don't come cheap), but when I hear people say that racers who complain about unsafe conditions are just whining, I'd ask you to please get out your checkbook before before you start typing.

The track was pretty cold. The Nitro cars were able to navigate it better than the Pro Stocks because they have more downforce. I wouldn't go so far as to Kurt was whinning, he was correct in his statements. A few years ago, I made a run in my Altered when the track temp was in the 50's (just like last night at Pomona). I don't have anywhere near the horsepower a Pro Stocker does, but it was still a handfull. My engine makes around 650+ HP and when I left the line, it actually smoked the tires. I pedeled it and it hooked up. It went about another hundred feet and then the car made a hard left turn. I shut it down at that point. The track was just too cold in my situation as it was last night. After hearing all the Pros talking about how they didn't have any book on conditions like that, I don't feel so dumb. I didn't have any data either. As an earlier post said, it might be fair for NHRA re-run the first few pairs of Pro Stock.

Dave

If anyone noticed, virtually every funny car was shaking the tires, so it was evident that the track wasn't up to par. When the Pro-stockers came up, it would have just been a matter of time before one of them ended up going turtle if they tried to complete the round. It was a horrendous decision by the NHRA to even let them try to run. I watched KJ try 3 or 4 times to get back on it and every time he hit the gas, the tires just spun. I just hope this was not an issue where money trumps safety, if it is then we clearly need a change in the decision makers in Glendora.

If anyone noticed, virtually every funny car was shaking the tires, so it was evident that the track wasn't up to par. When the Pro-stockers came up, it would have just been a matter of time before one of them ended up going turtle if they tried to complete the round. It was a horrendous decision by the NHRA to even let them try to run. I watched KJ try 3 or 4 times to get back on it and every time he hit the gas, the tires just spun. I just hope this was not an issue where money trumps safety, if it is then we clearly need a change in the decision makers in Glendora.

They came within 6 pair of not honoring rain checks for a future event

Pro Stock is a different animal when it comes to the cooler tracks and the tighter race tracks....they have no downforce on the rear wheels so they tend to get A LOT more loose than TF and FC with their dump truck wings on the back

Bingo!!! We have a winner! Track prep for Pro stock is way different than the Fuel cars.

Ok let me tell you guys something. Here in Europe we have raced on tracks that were 34F. The snow was next to the guard rail. That is a cool track. Looking at the track conditions on the internet the crew chief could bring all the power on the track that they have. Because they didn't put enough power in, the cars went into tyre shake. You have 2 kinds of tyre shake: Low Power and High Power. With high power tyre skake the car will start going into shake and than smoke the tyres. But I did not hear anybody who was smoking the tyres. Now you do the math.

They came within 6 pair of not honoring rain checks for a future event

Actually, we only qualify for a 50% credit for Sunday. If I am reading the rule correctly from the NHRA website: "Following the completion of one round of Pro nitro eliminations, customer will be entitled to 50 percent credit." Appears whether Pro Stock ran or not would be irrelevant. If they got that second round of nitro in we would have received no credit. This rule surprised me when I read it at the airport last night.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back