Trying to Undstand Sportsman Racing (1 Viewer)

khona

Nitro Member
I've been following the NHRA for three years now. At first I was totally confused with the Sportsmen racing at the U.S. Nationals when I watched. Over the last three years I think I understand most of it but I'm still a little confused.

Could any of you take me thru a mock run of some one in the Stock category at the U.S. Nationals? Let’s say you are in G/SA. I don’t know what G/SA is tho. Pick a class. And let’s say there is more than one car in that class. How would your schedule go?

What threw me off this year were the class eliminations. Is this right - during class eliminations, the winner and the loser of each match up are still in the main competition?

Thanks!

hey derick
as far as class racing goes. each class races heads-up when they offer class at events. otherwise they race bracket style. based on a dial in. format. now as far as that goes in this format they will also race heads-up in eliminations. the difference is class is a race within a race. where all the cars in the same class race each other. for a trophy and for bragging rights. in eliminations the heads-up race is to get to the next round where as they will race whatever the other class may be. hope this makes some sense.
:confused:

Derick,
"Class Eliminations" are run for Stock and Super Stock at selected National events each year and pair cars in same class for a smaller version of the "Wally." Class Eliminations are done within qualifying and are heads up. A class winner is then crowned in each class. If there is only one car in any given class then the single run must be .500 seconds under or more than the class index to win class. Let's say there are 8 B/SA cars and 1 Q/S car then the B/SA cars will run rounds until a winner is crowned for class winner and the Q/S only runs 13.75 on a Q/S index of 13.95 then there will be no class winner in Q/S. Stock and Super Stock are supposed to be performance oriented class and thereffore they do not award class wins to a car that does not run at least .500 under their respective class index. Let's say that during qualifying though the bump spot is only .125 under then the Q/S car will still be qualified for the Eliminator race during Stock Eliminations and unless you have a car of the same exact class(Q/S let's say) then everything will be a bracket race.
This type of Stock/Superstock racing came about quite some time ago is supposed to eliminate sandbagging. Hope this helps some cause it can kinda get confusing at times. Ken did a good job of explaining it I just wanted to add a little to it. There are also some additional quirks that come from running too fast and are designed to "even" the competition according to NHRA.
You can also go to CLASS RACER NHRA/IHRA STOCK /SUPER STOCK Dragracing or Superstock Forums - powered by vBulletin for more insight.
Bye the way while the fuel classes assault your senses beyond belief and are cool as hell, spend some time in the sportsman pits and get to meet the sportsman racers, you'll get to meet some of the best people in the world.
Ronnie

Last edited:
Thanks. I think my questions were answered! My first year at Indy, 2006, I spent the whole week there. I was lost! lol. I think I understand it all know.

So, during the Hemi Challenge - when those cars face off with each other, their runs are also qualifying runs. Right?

Thanks. I think my questions were answered! My first year at Indy, 2006, I spent the whole week there. I was lost! lol. I think I understand it all know.

So, during the Hemi Challenge - when those cars face off with each other, their runs are also qualifying runs. Right?

Only the first round of class counts as a qualifying run. The other rounds do not count. Every car goes at least one round in class, it wouldn't be fair if a car have to go 3 more rounds and have them count towards qualifying.
But I think those rounds do count towards the AHFS(automatic horsepower factor system). Now that's confusing:confused:

The first time I took my wife to the Drags at Norwalk, she was like " WTF is this and why are they leaving at different times" . Now this WAS 17 years ago. So, I explained bracket racing to her as best I could. She took awhile because we raced Circle Tracks for years. Now, you can't keep her away, but with Kayla racing now that helps. It is confusing to people who are new at it, but it is our job as racers to explain all we can. I know most on here are not bracket racing fans, but, it is the best way to get started in this sport with a limited budget, or with any budget, other than the Pros.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back