Should John Force retire?

• yes, to run Force Racing

Votes: 53 26.4%
  • NO he should keep driving.

Votes: 148 73.6%

• Total voters

handsome

Nitro Member
John Force has created an empire second to none. In my opinion this would be the best time for him to retire so he can spend more time overseeing it as it continues to grow. I think the 4 drivers he had at pomona are some of the best in the buisness and along with the brain trust behind them, any one could win the championship. also the rumors are out there that the other 2 daughters will run a-fuel to prepare them for a future in top fuel. I also don't think anyone will ever be able to match or beat the records in wins and championships that he has. The other thing to think about is if you look at what Dale Earnhart started before is death, which is DEI, and what has happened since his death, DEI crumbling due to the fact of the man himself not there, Force needs to keep smiling and shaking hands to insure that Force Racing continues to stay at the top. lets face it, for him to completly heal from the accident ,he will probably need to sit out next year.

sorry, i was bored and thought i would see what everone else thought.

Last edited:
Racers race, that's what they do. If he did retire, it probably wouldn't last as long as Kenny Bernstein's.

Its in his blood. I don't see him stepping away from the drivers seat. Case in point...just look at Kenny.

DEI is not crumbling, Dale Jr. is leaving but DEI will still be around, Dale Sr would have done things differantly but He wouldn't have turned over controlling intrest to Jr either, just like Teresa didn't. That said, John Force is still too good to hang it up, besides what would He do on race weekends? He would drive EVERYONE nuts.

DEI John Force is still too good to hang it up, besides what would He do on race weekends? He would drive EVERYONE nuts.

That is a HUGE understatement -:D John is an integral part of our sport and NHRA needs him back. I hope his rehabilitation proceeds quickly - 2008 testing will begin in about 9 weeks! :eek:

I have been thinking about this myself. This is a tough one and it might ruffle some feathers. I have a lot of confidence in JFR to design and build a safer car. I would like to think that 2007 was just one of those freak horrible years for the Force group, God I hope so. In one respect, I would like Johnny to retire from driving. He has nothing left to prove, he's done it all. However, if he quit driving I think he would have a tough time just watching. On the other hand though, I do want him to keep driving until he can't do it anymore. John is John, but part of his personality comes from kickn' ass with his ol' Hound Dog. He has said "Drag Racing is all I know." I like everyone else dreads the possibilty of the next "Dallas" and will he be as lucky as the last one. I pray there isn't another accident and that everybody will be safe every time they strap in. I do take comfort in knowing that a person is safer on the Drag Strip than on the street. I want to see John Force back in a Funny Car doing what he does best. As hard as it is for me to say, you go when it's your time and there is only one guy that knows when that time is. Don't worry, do what you love, enjoy your life, never give up.

Dave

Think of it like this, how many passes has John made? and how many bad accidents has He had? what are the chances He will have another accident like He had in Ennis? very slim. He would not be able to stand it on race weekends watching from the starting line, or at the shop. He will race probally untill the NHRA won't re-new His F/C liscense, "Never give up, Never lift" JFR motto. Like Coil once told Him "just drive it till' she quits, then park it next to the wall, We'll come get it" same with John. I figure He has a Title or Two left in Him:)

Hell no he shouldn't retire, unless he thinks it's time.
Big Daddy was banged up worse than John and he kept going.
Age should have nothing to do with it.
The only way I see John Force retireing is when his jaws lock up, but my them Forrest Lucas will have a cure for that.

Last edited:
When John retires, let it be on his terms, he is not finished with what he has started, the guy is a racer from the tip of his toe, to the top of his head.

Wow some good comments . Ii know that John will know when it is time to retire > I hit the big 61 years of age this past Nov (I have been racing since 1963 ) and am thinking will i know when to past the Super Stocker to My daughter or her Husband who is one of the best drivers in the sportsman world , I think (not for sure )that there will be a point when I will know > one thing for sure it is getting close i think > LOL:);):D:rolleyes:

Based on how good he was running before his accident, no way should John hang it up. After winning Bristol, John had the baddest hot rod on the tour and he was a shoo in for one of the final four Countdown spots. Not sure how long he`ll keep driving if/when the other two girls move up....he`s gonna be a friggin` basket then! I think that you`re going to see a lot of people stop going to the races when Force does call it quits though. A lot of fans only come out because of him. He`s got the biggest fan base by a mile.

Last edited:
This is like asking if Luigi Novelli should retire? Heck no! Let him decide when to pass the reigns. For the record, this was his worst year in over a decade and had he not been injured, he was mathmatically capable of winning it all. Why on earth should he quit before he feels like quitting?

only a force hater would want him to retire. john force has the most killer and winning instinct in him as anyone ive ever seen. he really loves driving no matter his age, everyone has to admit , the last 2 races werent the same without him. i pray for a force round win everytime just for the interviews. hell be around for a while, im betting this accident will only make him more hungry for another title because there will be people that will bring up this subject about should he retire. hopefully he reads this thread subject so he will be more determained than ever to win # 15!

Should? That's between him, GOD, and his family.
Can? He has contracts in place for him in a car until 201X-plus a day... He's got this Addiction and being out of a Car would not be a good thing for him and all those around him... Just for the sanity of the 100 plus people at JFR, not a good idea...

Bottom Line; just the photos of Papa John in his pick-up at Pomona a few days ago, show it ain't gonna happen. Maybe after he gets his 20th ring or 200th win?

But it's not our call, for all we know, maybe he'll take a couple of squirts in testing and say screw it... or run a .67 and smile that goofy grin and say "I'm Back!!!!"

The Sport will survive when John hangs it up, the real question is, will the rest of us?

d'kid

only a force hater would want him to retire. john force has the most killer and winning instinct in him as anyone ive ever seen. he really loves driving no matter his age, everyone has to admit , the last 2 races werent the same without him. i pray for a force round win everytime just for the interviews. hell be around for a while, im betting this accident will only make him more hungry for another title because there will be people that will bring up this subject about should he retire. hopefully he reads this thread subject so he will be more determained than ever to win # 15!

I'm not a Force hater. i just thought i would start this thread to see what other people thought. i just don't think he has anything else to prove. and with his team expanding in many ways just mabey he should think abut running it. everyone likes to mention kenny bernstein , but kenny didn't have 4 teams and the complete in house operations that john has.

If its a vote ...... NO He is one of the last of the old Legends still running.
Its not the same to just be around like Don the Snake. Watching him kick butt against guys half his age is great. Aways a good showing. Even when he loses.

John is not going to retire. You know he's not going to let that run in Ennis be his last. No way. Should that be his last ride in a funny car? no way. No way.

and I voted yes on this poll. Hey I changed my mind.

I think John would be a lot like Bernstein, not a good spectator! I think he will drive until he is physically unable to.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back