John Force (1 Viewer)

Mooseman

Nitro Member
I just thought I would start a thread on John Force . Like him or not he has come from winning no races and going years trying his best , to winning 14 world championships . He is one of my heroes thats for sure . Hopfully oneday I will have the honour of meeting him and sitting down and talking with him .

John Force???? ??? Who is he? Is he a driver? Crew Chief? Owner ?????
Doesn't ring a bell. That's a cool last name though:D

If you're one of those that doesn't like him, all you have to do is sit down and talk to him (if you can get him to sit down) at you will change your mind. I've had the chance a few times, everytime I walked away laughing.

John Force? You mean the guy that sent his crew chiefs over to help Kenny Bernstein straighten out his funny car so he could get his license? One hell of a great guy in my opinion.

The John Force who, after winning the NHRA race at Firebird about ten years ago, took the time after the race to stop and talk to a 6 year old boy, even while his ride to the airport was waiting and yelling for him to "get in the car, we're late"? The boy was my son and has loved John Force ever since. I mean, we stopped John on his way from the beer cooler, with 2 cold beers in his hand, to his rental car to go to the airport and he not only stopped to sign an autograph, but stopped and talked to my son. It was actually funny watching him ignore the guys in the rental car (I think Coil was driving) to take time with just one little fan. He coulda cared less if he was late, he had a new friend to make.

If you mean that John Force, he's just a good man in my book.

Who would ever have funked it?

Do you mean the John Force who was runner up about 11 times before he won a Wally?

The John Force who cried after beating for the first time the then three time Funny Car Champion Kenny Bernstine?

The John Force who has just signed Berstine's Funny Car Licence!?! How ironic!:eek: :eek: :eek:

The John Force who gave me £50 when he was visiting London, England, so I could get home? - I didn't need it! I later spent it on the import tax on buying his 4 videos from his website!

I could go on and on!

What an incredible guy!

I watched him in one of these 1987 races, and his demeaner was exactly the same 20 years later when testing this year!

Cheers

James

I'm still waiting to hear more stories about his very early days on the So. Cal. match race circuit. I've heard he used to convoy on the freeway with the band Motley Crue on the weekends. The promoters would have both him racing, and Motley playing a concert at the tracks to get people in. I've heard this from members of the band, and mentioned a few times in ND.

It's OBVIOUSLY a stage name!!!

Yeah I think there's a VH1 Behind Racing special on him coming out..real name Johanis Forskionovich from Belgrad... actually was a medical student before he found out about the effects of Nitro in a hemi and migrated to Californina... well, I guess you all know the rest ;)

T :D

I have few stories of John, but I will share a couple favorites....

#1 We were eating at the BlackBear lodge by BIR, probably around 99 or so, and Force of course was lighting up the room with stories and carrying on.... he came over to us and apoligized for kinda being loud, and hoped he was not disturbing our dinner.. My grandmother, who was about 75 or so at the time, and confined to a wheelchair, said "Absoloutly not John, we are having a good time,I think you are the greatest..." The look on his face when she said that.. I don't think he expected her to even know who he was. He said thanks, and went on back to his table. Johns group got done with dinner, and got up to leave, and on his way out, he took off his Castrol winner circle hat, signed it, put it on her head, took her by the hand and said, "You and your family have a great night." She kept that hat in her room the rest of her days, and I now have it in my room.

#2 We were in Houston, and again, out eating, and Force is carrying on, and entertaining his sponsors/guests.. This was about the time Tony Pedregon was running the Selena body..Anyways.. Johns getting pretty into the conversation----Imagine this is John speaking, LOL--"Ok, let me tell you about this %%$% body.. first we get it all done, and it looks great. Then Medlen decides he wants to run a new different injector.. So.. They cut the injector hole opening bigger so it would fit, and gave Selena a %$^&& flat top.. Ok.. Can't run it like that.. take the decal off, put a new one on, lower, good to go... Went to go get it, and of course they put her face over the body support bracket, so it looks like she has zits and $%^&$ all over her face... Ok.. take that one off change it up so it fits right, and put it on... By now we are in a hurry to get it done, so they got it put on, and set it out in the sun to help get it to lay down, and let the air bubbles out..... wouldn't ya know the $$%%&&& thing got so hot sitting out there, the $%#$#&^ decal split right down the %%^^&& middle.. So they had to do it AGAIN!!!"

By this time, everybody in that section was pretty much laughing so hard they could hardly speak.. John went on for quite a while, but man it was funny. I don't know.. maybe you had to be there.. but it was funny to us.

1 car, 4 cars, 10 cars, I will always be a John Force fan.

Last edited:
Suzie...I just got on here and do have a story and I decided that this chat board is only for you fans so I will keep it on the positive side as to not hurt feelings:

In 92 I was doing clutch maintenance for a flopper and Force would always give us (cash talks w/ him) his used floaters/disc and one-run spark plugs, oil-rings....Well the owner of the car sent me and a 'lil radio flyer' to retrieve these used parts. I am good friends w/ Bob Fischer, who was his clutch guy, and Kevin M, who still works for him, who I beat @ bowling the previous night and he (Bob) never paid up (we had small bet on high score) so when I went to hand Force a couple hunskies for the parts he told me to put the cash in my pocket.....thats the good side of Force....he is very dedicated to racing...

Thank you Terry for a positive story. We all certainly do appreciate it! That was classic John Force, he is very generous.

I am looking to come over there next year to vegas purely for the race and a bit of time elsewhere. My one and only goal is to get a pic with Force, get him to sign some stuff I have had for years and just to shoot the $hit with him for a couple of minutes. He was the 1st guy I really knew about in American drag racing and his olds was the 1st model I ever built, his was the 1st poster in my shed when it went up and his will be the 1st NHRA tattoo on my arm when I save the $$$ up again and not decide to blow more money on another car.

That guy is a legend and I cant wait. I am trying to fiddle a way in so we have an excuse to spend more time in Cal so I can get out to his shop and see the operation. Doesnt he have a gig ion Indy as well because if thats the case then the budget is going to stretch to include this as well much to the wifes disgust.

cant wait.

Cheers
jason

When they had the Warm up in Bakersfield, John had come up to the stands to watch some racing. He held court for about 1/2 hour talking to everyone and taking pictures and autographs. His crew was looking for him and he was ducking behind people. Finally, they made an announcement over the p.a. that Coil wanted him back to his pit so they can warm the car. He smiled and said save a cold one for me, I'll be back after we're done for the day.
What really impressed me about him, was that he really looked like he was enjoying taking the time to sign autographs and take pictures with everyone, but he made a special effort to take a few extra minutes with kids.

On Sunday I took my son and daughter to Firebird to see the test session. Mason wanted to see Ashee (Ashley in adult language). John came riding up on his scooter and when he hoped off he instantly had a little boy hugging his legs. John was very cordial and rubbed his head. He then called my daughter over for a picture. It was great, and even though he didn't meet Ashley, he did meet Ashley's dad who coincidently just happens to race a funny car too! Here are the pics.

Mason with Force

I'll never forget all those Rivalries he had with Bob Glidden and WJ, That's when Pro stock was Great!:p

I'll never forget all those Rivalries he had with Bob Glidden and WJ, That's when Pro stock was Great!:p

Why was that so funny? :D

I think it is the unspoken fan rule in drag racing.
No matter who your favorite driver is - everyone likes John Force. (Even if they hate him). Haha.

Heck, Baze even likes him.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back