RUMOR MILL - IS PRO STAGING A BIG-MONEY RACE AHEAD OF 2024 NHRA SEASON OPENER? (1 Viewer)

Well, if it IS 1/8 mile, I'd like to see some $$$ put up for the first 300 1/8 mile. I'd bet on Grubby.
I’m not sure anybody else is in that conversation. It wouldn’t shock me to see Brittany run 300 in the 1/8th if the conditions are right in Brainerd or Maple Grove.

I’m curious on how many cars in each class would run for 100k. Now if it was 300k, you might get a lot more participation. There isn’t a huge population of Nitro cars to begin with. Most likely it won’t pay good money to qualify and most of the money if not all is going to go to the winners. Doesn’t make much sense for the independent runners to travel when the chance of winning or breaking even is very slim. Most teams will not be getting extra money from their primary sponsors to run a special event. It would shock me if they were able to draw 16 cars in each of the Nitro classes.

This looks like a Wes Buck/Drag Illustrated ran race. He was talking on his show about a month ago about the need for bigger payouts for the nitro cars. Just a hunch that this will be a 1/8 mile race.
I understand the idea of 1/8 mile, see Clay Millican, but don't agree. I don't have any skin in it but IMHO 1000ft!

........It wouldn’t shock me to see Brittany run 300 in the 1/8th if the conditions are right in Brainerd or Maple Grove.
kind of forgot about that money dangling out there. yes, it would be nice to have great air and track conditions yet this year.

I’m curious on how many cars in each class would run for 100k. Now if it was 300k, you might get a lot more participation. There isn’t a huge population of Nitro cars to begin with. Most likely it won’t pay good money to qualify and most of the money if not all is going to go to the winners. Doesn’t make much sense for the independent runners to travel when the chance of winning or breaking even is very slim. Most teams will not be getting extra money from their primary sponsors to run a special event. It would shock me if they were able to draw 16 cars in each of the Nitro classes.
It may not matter. With it being a specialty only race, I'm thinking it'll be some sort of invite only all star race versus a traditional event that's open to anyone. That's how they've done it with the World Doorslammer Nationals/World Series of Pro Mod, and it seems like a lot of the same people are involved with this deal

If it is going to be eight mile and only available to FLO subscribers, seems a bit pointless.
I would prefer the season to start in Pomona with the Winternationals

From the announcement
  • February 8-10, 2024 at Bradenton Motorsports Park
  • $250,000 to win Top Fuel & Funny Car, $125,000 to win Pro Stock, other classes to be announced
  • Can be watched live exclusively on FloRacing (livestreaming only, no traditional TV broadcast)
  • Invite only field, approximately 12-13 cars in both nitro classes and 16+ in Pro Stock
  • 8 car elimination fields in nitro, 16 cars in Pro Stock
  • Chip draw to determine pairings in eliminations, only point of qualifying is to get in the field, doesn't affect who you race
  • 1 qualifying session on Thursday night, 3 sessions on Friday, eliminations on Saturday. Testing on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday afternoon

will make every effort possible to attend at least one day of this race.
i would imagine the place will be standing room only.

It's funny looking at Facebook just how negative some of the responses are...sheesh. I'm glad the comments section doesn't have responsibility for doing cool things in our sport!

This event is going to sell-out, I've got little doubt, and everyone is going to have a great time, just like the Pro Mod teams did at WSOPM earlier this year. I can't wait.

wonder what the criteria is for getting an invite to race
There probably isn't any. The World Series of Pro Mod was supposedly an invite only race, but everybody and their mother got an invite. Guys who hadn't driven a Pro Mod car in years were there at the "best of the best" race. So I'm sure anybody who's even thinking about going will get an invitation. If you know anything about Wes Buck, the guy has an ego the size of Texas, so the invite-only thing is really a publicity/advertising thing more than anything.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back