RUMOR MILL - IS PRO STAGING A BIG-MONEY RACE AHEAD OF 2024 NHRA SEASON OPENER? (1 Viewer)

I was at the ‘72 & ‘73 National Challenges at Tulsa.
Drove from Little Rock to Tulsa in a 1962 Ford Galaxie. I slept in my car in a Holiday Inn parking lot both times.
At the ‘73 race Dick Landy was staying at the same Holiday Inn where I was. He had the car up on jacks and the crew was working underneath the car.
They were using some kind of cleaner they were wiping on something.
Next thing you know an incandescent shop light fell to the ground and everybody scattered thinking the spark would ignite the cleaner. Thankfully the cleaner was not gasoline and nothing happened.
For some reason that event is the first thing I think of when someone mentions those two races.
I was there too. '72 was the John Wiebe/Jeb Allen crash if I remember right.

I was there too. '72 was the John Wiebe/Jeb Allen crash if I remember right.
Vaughn, that crash was at the ‘73 race.
I got a few shots while the wreck was happening.
The Ektachrome film has not held up well in the ensuing 50(!) years.
PICT0026.jpeg

Some grudge events have large payouts. Several years ago grudge bikes competed in "King of Grudge" which paid $90.000.00 to thr winner.

My guess will be Bradenton. I’m guessing Gainesville would not be hosting a rival to its own Gatornats. Orlando has limited seating and I’m not sure you could put enough people in to pay for the race. SGMP runs the risk of weather that is slightly too cold at that time of year.
Happy to be proved wrong on any of those!

Orlando has had pretty big events in the past, Doorslammer Nationals, World Street Nationals, Pro Mod races, Tom Bailey's Sick Week (where there were over 300 cars), etc. And the track has a good reputation for grip.
This is my analsis of the possible track locations.
Gainesville, Bristol and Charlotte. These locations have plenty of parking and have hosted national events. But NHRA may not want to rent either track to another organization.
The 3 other possible locations are, like you said, Orlando, Bradenton and one nobody has mentioned, South Georgia Motosports Park. If the event is held in one of these tracks in February, it could be used as a test and tune for the Gator Nationals.
As for Orlando, the only possible problem would be seating. There's not enough.
If it happens in Orlando, OMG! I could go for the warmups in the morning, come home for lunch and go back for the eliminations in the afternoon.
I live about 40 miles from Bristol, I think you can probably rule that one out. Weather just wouldn't be conducive to running high-horsepower race cars. If we're talking about a potential February date, it's usually in the 40s or 50s that time of year. We are talking about the mountains after all.

But here's a wild card for y'all... what about Rockingham? They recently got a bunch of money from the government as part of that Rescue Plan thing. The track's recently been repaved, and the new owners that took over when Earwood stepped down have been bringing quite a few upgrades/updates. There's also been talk in the NASCAR circles about the track across the street potentially hosting the All Star Race next year. And the weather should be OK, considering NASCAR went there in late February for many years.

It's definitely not the most likely candidate here. but at least in my brain, there might be a non-zero chance. Just a thought...

Anyone remembering Don Garlits and the PRO back in the 70's?
First Pro - National Challenge came off sort off OK at Tulsa in '72 & 73. Went to NY National next year and was a disaster. Can't see it as a test n tune before the season. A lot of money at stake to be "trying"something. $600K to the winners, I am assuming the rest in round money and runner ups. At the beginning of the season, how much are they willing to use up b4 the season starts?

remember CW is done after this season, so maybe somebody is potentially looking?......personally i wish they'd pick 3 races per year, other than indy, and
proclaim them 'majors' with double money for everyone, including the 17th NQ, and the first and second rnd losers.

Could SGMP handle an event that big? Not criticising, just asking.
I think so. Those Duck X races are pretty close to national event leviels in terms of cars, people, media, vendors, and general atmosphere. Looking at satelitte view, looks like they have plenty of paved parking, enough to park the pro classes anyway. It's not zMax, sure, but if they can make it work at Epping and Seattle, they can make it work there too.

Could SGMP handle an event that big?
That same question can be asked about the other possible locations, Orlando and Bradenton. Orlando has a "not enough seating" problem and Bradenton is not close enough for me to come home for lunch :(. SGMP is probably big enough, but from I've read, it has a city council/neighborhood noise problem.

I heard about this a few months ago, from what I understand Tony Stewart wants to produce an event similar to his SRX series made for TV. My guess is that TV sponsors will put up the $$.
Where the race will be held is the big question.
He did just put on $1Million to the winner winged sprint care race in Eldora

MEDIA ADVISORY
Professional Racers Owners Organization Press Conference

WHAT: The Professional Racers Owners Organization (PRO) is holding a press conference to announce a major event making its debut in early 2024. Join event officials and drivers for a press conference and media availability session via Zoom.

WHEN: Wednesday, August 2, 3 p.m. ET

WHERE: Zoom (link coming soon)

WHO:
  • Alan Johnson, President, PRO
  • Michelle Domagala, Administrator, PRO
  • Chad Head, Vice President, PRO
  • Wes Buck, Founder and Editorial Director, Drag Illustrated
  • Scott “Woody” Woodruff, Board Member, PRO
  • Courtney Enders, Drag Racing Content Creator, FloSports
  • Richard Freeman, Pro Stock Team Owner
  • Steve Torrence, Top Fuel Driver
  • Bob Tasca III, Funny Car Driver
  • Tony Stewart, Top Fuel and Funny Car Team Owner

MEDIA ADVISORY
Professional Racers Owners Organization Press Conference

WHAT: The Professional Racers Owners Organization (PRO) is holding a press conference to announce a major event making its debut in early 2024. Join event officials and drivers for a press conference and media availability session via Zoom.

WHEN: Wednesday, August 2, 3 p.m. ET

WHERE: Zoom (link coming soon)

WHO:
  • Alan Johnson, President, PRO
  • Michelle Domagala, Administrator, PRO
  • Chad Head, Vice President, PRO
  • Wes Buck, Founder and Editorial Director, Drag Illustrated
  • Scott “Woody” Woodruff, Board Member, PRO
  • Courtney Enders, Drag Racing Content Creator, FloSports
  • Richard Freeman, Pro Stock Team Owner
  • Steve Torrence, Top Fuel Driver
  • Bob Tasca III, Funny Car Driver
  • Tony Stewart, Top Fuel and Funny Car Team Owner
This looks like a Wes Buck/Drag Illustrated ran race. He was talking on his show about a month ago about the need for bigger payouts for the nitro cars. Just a hunch that this will be a 1/8 mile race.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back