Pro Stock Rumor (1 Viewer)

I too wish for the old days, but I'll bet Bruce Allen was glad to have a tube chassis and all the safety equipment paid for in blood by the likes of Lee Shepherd, Don Carlton and others....

Without getting overly dramatic, the wrecks of Shepherd and Carlton were in testing at separate locations and on single runs.
Shepherd’s belts ripped from the chassis and he was ejected after his car rolled.
Carlton’s wreck was possibly due to a medical condition.
Obviously, nobody expects anything other than the best safety equipment be mandated. But, the only way drag racing will be 100% safe is by keeping the cars in the shop.

I’ve heard that rumor as well.
But, I have a hard time believing Shepherd would not wear his safety belts.
And, I don’t believe his crew would have let him fire the car for a run unless he was strapped in.

ARDMORE, Okla. -- " A new race car went airborne in 'awfully windy' conditions and crashed, ripping Lee Shepherd from his harness and killing the five-time national drag racing champion, authorities said today.
Shepherd was ripped from his five-point racing harness and ejected 163 feet.
'The car was virtually destroyed,' Kinslow said. 'Had the harness not broke he probably would have lived."
'What killed Lee was that the seatbelts and shoulder harness all came undone. He was thrown out of the car. His helmet came off, with the straps still together. Of course, the main concerns are to find out why the seatbelts gave way and why he was thrown out of the car.'

ARDMORE, Okla. -- " A new race car went airborne in 'awfully windy' conditions and crashed, ripping Lee Shepherd from his harness and killing the five-time national drag racing champion, authorities said today.
Shepherd was ripped from his five-point racing harness and ejected 163 feet.
'The car was virtually destroyed,' Kinslow said. 'Had the harness not broke he probably would have lived."
'What killed Lee was that the seatbelts and shoulder harness all came undone. He was thrown out of the car. His helmet came off, with the straps still together. Of course, the main concerns are to find out why the seatbelts gave way and why he was thrown out of the car.'

Thanks Bob! Never heard anyone say any different even right after it happened. In the description they gave I wonder how they know he had the stuff on in the first place though. Regardless I always wonder what could have been if he was still with us today.

You do know that they presented NHRA with a scaled down version of the Challenger to compete with the current makes in PS. It was the only way for the Challenger to be competitive due to the poor aerodynamics.

Yes NHRA has a very specific set of parameters that the car must fit into. Even the scaled down Challenger did not fit into this "box" NHRA requires.
As AJ told me in Gainesville...she isa big girl and we could not shrink her down enough.

Yes NHRA has a very specific set of parameters that the car must fit into. Even the scaled down Challenger did not fit into this "box" NHRA requires.
As AJ told me in Gainesville...she isa big girl and we could not shrink her down enough.

Yes so true the specific set of parameters that NHRA pro stock must fit is called Camaro parameters. What should NHRA care if the body is larger or smaller as long as it’s stock, which they aren’t anymore. True stock bodies may not be as fast but it would make it fun again. They easily could make other makes competitive if they adjust the weights for the class, but they tried that once when the Chryslers and Fords were winning they added weight. It is very simple to fix. I understand teams have invested greatly in the Camaro tech and engines, and it appeared they would rather let the Pro Camaro class die a natural death. Sad I would rather watch the FSS class with Demons, Camaros and Mustangs. Maybe they could alow the FSS class to make a few mods on their car and we will be back to the glory days of Pro Stock. Instead of a Camaro parade.

You do know that they presented NHRA with a scaled down version of the Challenger to compete with the current makes in PS. It was the only way for the Challenger to be competitive due to the poor aerodynamics.

Does anyone remember the Gapp Rouse Tijuana Taxi four door Maverick he built to get around the rules. What a hoot talk about variety in car bodies.

Yes I remember that car. Had a longer wheelbase than the 2 door cars & that gave them the advantage. Those guys were tough! Gapp VS Glidden.... that was a race.

Pintos and Colts sure made for ugly PS cars back then but that was the era.
Still better looking than a jello mold Camaro! And there are other interesting cars from the time!
6e17977a2753fb8a0a0d681451fd014f.jpg
6e17977a2753fb8a0a0d681451fd014f.jpg

All the others are to scale?

I had always heard Shepard did not have the belts on during that run.
I heard from reliable source it was suppose to be a 60 hit and it must have felt good and ran it out w/no seat belts. I know if race cars move seat belts should be latched.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back