RIP Chuck Etchells (1 Viewer)

Paul

Staff member
Nitro Member
Just read where Chuck has passed away. Thoughts and prayers are with this friends and family.

Just saw this, this is sad news. I got to know Chuck a bit back in the early 2000s when he drove my buddy Jim Sickle's FC. Really nice guy, and a great driver. RIP Chuck

Sad to hear, Chuck was a good guy. I was fortunate to grow up in New England and see him match race regularly at New England Dragway, and also fortunate to be at the (real) Summernationals for his first F/C win.

So strange that this news just popped up because the other day I was wondering what he was up to these days, and while searching for him I came across this cool article: http://www.draglist.com/artman2/pub..._Etchells_And_The_Fate_Of_The_Underdogs.shtml

RIP Chuck.

#ce.PNG

RIP Mr. Etchells.
If I recall correctly he would comment on the Mater and was even guest in the chat room back early Mater days.

I am shocked to hear the news. I started to really follow NHRA in 1992/1993 and that was right around the time that he, Cruz, Hofmann, and Force were going to war in Funny Car. I posted this on various groups on Facebook, but thought I'd share it here too.

In memory of Chuck Etchells, relive quite possibly his greatest weekend in drag racing. John Force clinched the title at reading and had dominated the season to date. Topeka rolled around and Force set his sights on the first 4 second funny car pass. He and sponsor Castrol even put up 12,500 each figuring he was going to be the first to do it. In came Etchells and stole all of Force's thunder with a 4.98. He further went on to win the event in a close final over Force and ran 299 mph to top it off. It was the then quickest side by side Funny Car race in history and decided by .005. The 4's, the money, the event win, most of all, whipping up on John Force. RIP Chuck.

really sad news to hear....always liked him and rooted for him even though I am a big Force fan....if Chuck was in the finals, I wasn't unhappy if Force lost to him...

I was at E-Town in 1990 when Johnny West had his big crash that overshadowed Chuck's first F/C win.
I felt bad that most of the glory of that victory was lost, but Chuck was always class act

Last edited:
Somewhere in my Dad's basement is a box full of old still photos and hero cards of the Future Force which we saw year after year at all the great FC shows at Epping and E-Town while I was growing up. Chuck and Gary were always friendly and never too busy to talk to fans in those days.

So sad, that weekend of the Sears Craftsman Nationals was on of the funniest weekends of racing I had ever been a part of. Stopped by and told him congratulations and he seemed like a good guy. Godspeed Chuck

terrible news at only 61.....way too young, same as hoffmann.....those guys raced and kicked ass during a great era.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back