Chuck Beal (1 Viewer)

Nunz

Nitro Member
I read on FB that Chuck Beal passed away. Chuck was a real hitter in TAFC years ago, and then gave fuel racing a try. In recent years he returned to FC with his grandson Brandon Welch driving. Condolences to Brandon and the whole family. RIP Chuck

Chuck Beal and his entire family took this knucklehead drag racing fan in off the street and treated me and my family as their own while we were stationed in San Diego. I actually connected with him via Brandon on this very message board! Loved hanging out and working at the shop, learning from such a knowledgeable guy and just generally shootin' the breeze and bench racing with the entire team. Though I've been on the east coast for a while now, I kept in touch and we chatted in some form or another during or immediately following very event they entered last season. He was such a down to earth, genuinely nice guy and I will miss him.

Side note: For weeks I've been meaning to give him a ring to see how he was doing and catch up on where the team is, etc. Time kept getting away from me and now it's too late and I'm heartbroken. A lesson we all seem to learn far too often. #crushed

Last edited:
Rest in peace Chuck and John, Gordon, Thanks for your service and sharing about what kind of man he was

I had the chance to work on a nitro team thanks to Chuck. Jeff Prock introduced us and Chuck made me part of his crew in '94 when he was building his first nitro funny car.

We went to several tracks for licensing runs, and then Topeka was our first race in '95. We qualified at that race, went to the second round at our second race (Sonoma) and went to the semi finals at our third race (Seattle). Fourth race was indy and we went to the second round there. The only person on that team with any experience was Chuck, he was impressive to say the least.

My last race with the team was at Pomona with Jeff Diehl driving the car. I would see Chuck periodically when I was in San Diego and it was always a great time hanging out with him.

He took me under his wing in the 90's and always took an interest in what I was doing.

I laughed a lot around him, he had some amazingly funny stories. I will miss him, thanks for everything Chuck.

I had the chance to work on a nitro team thanks to Chuck. Jeff Prock introduced us and Chuck made me part of his crew in '94 when he was building his first nitro funny car.

We went to several tracks for licensing runs, and then Topeka was our first race in '95. We qualified at that race, went to the second round at our second race (Sonoma) and went to the semi finals at our third race (Seattle). Fourth race was indy and we went to the second round there. The only person on that team with any experience was Chuck, he was impressive to say the least.

My last race with the team was at Pomona with Jeff Diehl driving the car. I would see Chuck periodically when I was in San Diego and it was always a great time hanging out with him.

He took me under his wing in the 90's and always took an interest in what I was doing.

I laughed a lot around him, he had some amazingly funny stories. I will miss him, thanks for everything Chuck.
And you put me in the seat the night we all met. Miss ya, Steve. Good times with wonderful people.

Sad news. Being from the NorthEast I never got to see Chuck race, but would see him in the mags throughout the years. I was on business in Sacramento and was flying out of San Fran, so I could swing by Friday qualifying in Sonoma '97. I got to meet Chuck, I don't believe he was driving, but he took the time to chat for probably 15-20 minutes. When I told him how I admired him from afar, he wanted to talk about Epping, Etown, Hofmann, Lagana, Caminito, Etchells and all of the match races I grew up with. It felt great to see that he had such a passion for racing...unfortunately about a half hour later Carrie Neal lost her life and it was a sobering reminder of the danger. Rest In Peace Chuck and thank you for that short window into your heart.

RIP. One of the nicest folks, and a tough racer. Any of his cars could also win the Best Engineered or Best Appearing awards. A true gentleman. Condolences to his family and friends.

Hey everybody I am Chuck's grandson, I'm looking for the footage from the 1999 sonoma autolight nationals E1 Beal Vs Force. Chuck blew the body off the car at the finish line (also took the win light. Because they only raced heads up the one time, he's one of the only drivers to have a winning record against Force) but i am looking for the tv footage if anybody has it they interviewed him after the run and I was hoping to find that. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Chuck Beal VS Brad Anderson. Wow, talk about some good racin'!! You never knew who would win when they raced.

Hey everybody I am Chuck's grandson, I'm looking for the footage from the 1999 sonoma autolight nationals E1 Beal Vs Force. Chuck blew the body off the car at the finish line (also took the win light. Because they only raced heads up the one time, he's one of the only drivers to have a winning record against Force) but i am looking for the tv footage if anybody has it they interviewed him after the run and I was hoping to find that. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

this is all I could find so far (last run in segment)

this is all I could find so far (last run in segment)
Thank you for this. I was able to find this as well on youtube. unfortunately it does not show the run from round 1 only a replay from round 2 and no interview after the blow up. Thanks for posting that though.

My condolences to the Beal family.

I had the pleasure, and it was a pleasure, to talk with Chuck a number of times in the staging lanes at tracks on the west coast from Seattle to Pomona. Seeing the "Bealmobile" roll through the water box was always a treat.

Will miss him....

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back