RIP Al.............. (1 Viewer)

Helen & entire Hofmann family,

I hope that yesterday's Memorial service went well, and that many racers and fans could make it. Wish I could have been there to meet some of the family and to hear more of the stories. Mt Dora is not that far from where I live, but unless I took the day off or at least taken several hours off, then I could not have made it there. Would love to have you or someone that attended send us an update on the memorial. RIP and Godspeed to Al, but I wish for comfort & peace for you all while you grieve the loss.

~ Kurt

I'll second that emotion Kurt. I felt like I wanted to be there too. I spent a few minutes going thru my photo box and dug out every photo I ever took of Al or his cars. I guess you could count me as one of those who still hoped one day he'd be back.

My Sister had a baby 6 weeks before the World Finals in 1998. She was really bummed out because she thought she would not be able to go to the races with me and my Dad. We towed a travel trailer down to Pomona from Vegas and we decided that my Sister and her husband would join us and we would all take turns in the travel trailer with the baby (this was during the time you could camp right by the front gate .. before they moved you up the hill where you have to take the tram service). On Saturday after qualifying was over, we all walked thru the pits together, baby in tow. During our travels around the pit Jeg Coughlin held the baby and we took a picture. This gave us an idea ... we would see how many drivers would get a picture taken with the baby. Sure enough, we eventually get to Al Hofmann's trailer and he is out signing autographs. My Sister presented the baby, and without hesitation he took the baby and we got the picture you see below. Well, we went back to the Winternationals in '99 and took all of the pictures with us and got them autographed. When we go to Al and presented him the picture to autograph his eyes got real big and he clutched the photo to his chest and said "You guys can NEVER show this picture to anyone ... I have a reputation to protect." We all had a good laugh and Al graciously signed the picture. He was one of a kind, and my Dad wanted me to pass along his condolences to all of Al's friends and family. I hope you guys get as good a laugh out of this picture as Al did ....

Thats cool Chris. Al was a good guy and for some reason seeing that picture makes me feel good, maybe it's some type of poetry kind of thing. This bad-ass Nitro warrior holding a beautiful little baby. Nice picture, thanks for sharing.

Dave

That`s a great story Chris! I`m still having a hard time realizing that Big Al is actually gone. I used to just camp at their pit in Pomona and Phoenix in the early/mid `90s watching Al, Helen, Tom Anderson and Jimbo do their thing. Lots of good memories!

Last edited:
My Sister had a baby 6 weeks before the World Finals in 1998. She was really bummed out because she thought she would not be able to go to the races with me and my Dad. We towed a travel trailer down to Pomona from Vegas and we decided that my Sister and her husband would join us and we would all take turns in the travel trailer with the baby (this was during the time you could camp right by the front gate .. before they moved you up the hill where you have to take the tram service). On Saturday after qualifying was over, we all walked thru the pits together, baby in tow. During our travels around the pit Jeg Coughlin held the baby and we took a picture. This gave us an idea ... we would see how many drivers would get a picture taken with the baby. Sure enough, we eventually get to Al Hofmann's trailer and he is out signing autographs. My Sister presented the baby, and without hesitation he took the baby and we got the picture you see below. Well, we went back to the Winternationals in '99 and took all of the pictures with us and got them autographed. When we go to Al and presented him the picture to autograph his eyes got real big and he clutched the photo to his chest and said "You guys can NEVER show this picture to anyone ... I have a reputation to protect." We all had a good laugh and Al graciously signed the picture. He was one of a kind, and my Dad wanted me to pass along his condolences to all of Al's friends and family. I hope you guys get as good a laugh out of this picture as Al did ....

someone said earlier this thread is showing what the 'mater can be. This is great Chris really brought a smile to my face.

What a great story. It's cool how we all think of Al as a real bad-a$$, and a pure hard-core racer. But all these stories have really been enlightening as to just what a genuinely nice, funny guy he was. Godspeed Al.

He was a true racer. I've been missing him at the track, and I was very sad to learn of his passing. There won't ever be another Al Hofmann.

Last edited:
I was on YouTube tonight, going from video to video, and came upon the clip for the 1997 Gainesville final round. That sent me looking for this old thread. The stories here still make me laugh and still bring a tear to my eye. I still miss Al and likely always will.

1994 Brainerd
4880661347_1b87e7e981_b.jpg

Last edited:
I was fortunate enough to become friends with Al in his last few years. Great man with a great family. One of those drivers who told it like it was in all his interviews. I remember talking to him back in 2001, he predicted that it wouldn't be very long till they hit the "E.T. limits". I never thought about it till he said that, but I think we hit that point sometime in the past few years.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back