RIP Al.............. (1 Viewer)

I wrote a personal rememberance to Al over at ESPN.com's NHRA page. I hope everyone takes a moment to read it. Al really was the last of his kind.

Bill
Your articles are wonderful. May I copy them for the memorial service?

Susie would have been Al's 4th wife, had they married.

He is survived by 1 long time girl friend, 1 brother, 1 sister, 3 ex wives, 1 son, (now racing in Top Dragster) 3 daughters, 8 grandchildren and 2 great grandchildren.:)

Thanks for the update, Helen. By all means, use the articles with my best wishes. If there's ever anything else I can do for you and the family, please let me know.

It's a crying shame it's taken something as tragic as losing Al Hoffman to show it, but in my humble opinion, this thread represents EVERYTHING that is right about this message board.

My story is quaint, but here goes: I took a friend to the last national event held in Baton Rouge and the only driver he remembers by name is... Al Hoffman. Conrad even invited him under the ropes into his pit area, but Al was his guy. He fell in love with him (and Helen) watching them work on the BDS car between rounds and rooted for him every time he pulled to the starting line. He still asks me about him... I was saddened to inform him of his passing.

My favorite Al moment was his throttle whack while staging against Vandergriff in Bristol - it didn't work, but it took a gigantic set o' 'nads - it was a perfect representation of his strong competitive nature!

Rest in peace, Al, you'l be forever missed.

Bill...."HOLLYWOOD" and Helen:

Thank you very much for your additions here on the 'mater' today, in remembering Al Hofmann! Bill, I totally agree with you that he was a 'throwback' Driver, but when you got to know him...he was a very good person with a great heart, and the Image of 'the man in black' made me root for him over the years!

Helen, I can truly say that you are an amazing mechanic, and a very passionate person. The days when you, Tom and Jimbo would tune that hot rod with 1/3rd the budget of the "BIG TEAM" gave us "LITTLE GUYS" hope, and gives this "little guy" inspiration to follow my goals too! Plus on a personal note, the Red hair and the cowboy hat drove me NUTS!;)

KC: I have to agree with you as well, as Al being one of the best "DRIVERS" in Drag Racing! He just had an amazing "touch" with that funny car over the years. I loved how he'd "SQUEEZE" into the throttle to do his burnout, very similar to Big Jim Dunn in that aspect. As a matter of fact, I do the same thing in the cars that I drive. It just Feels "COOL"!

I am looking to do a video tribute for Jodi and Wayne's My Space page tribute for Al. If you have any photo's that you'd like me to add to that, please feel free to Email them to me @ [email protected]

Thanks for your additions over the years in making our sport the great one it is! I for one, would love to see all of you back out at the track soon!

Tim Charlet
Charlet Motorsports:cool:

IMG_6500.jpg

IMG_6501.jpg

IMG_6504.jpg

I posted this on another site and will share it here as well

Ok story time.

I am saving "the flying rentals" for a day or two...have to ensure statute of limitations is up.

Teaser rental story.

Anyway we had a T-shirt printer promo guy named Rich. Well he was renamed Gay Rich by our diver. He was a big fan of Beavis and Butthead and that was one of the lines so Gay Rich it was.

We messed with Rich and messed with him. I have no idea why he ever came back but he did. And if anyone ever asked if he was really gay we just shrugged and went on. Basic rules apply, never ever confirm nor deny a good rumor.

Oh the little things we did to bug him.
We greased his rental car everywhere with of course a combo of never-sieze and grease.
We put more wheel weights on one wheel then it could possibly hold.
Set it up on blocks one day locked up the trailer and left.
Took off lug nuts on front wheels left in hub cap.
Greased wiper blades.
Fart smell liquid in a ziplock placed in sun on rear deck...

We used to just plain mess with his rentals bad.

So we decided to do it up right one day like we were doing it wrong before LOL.

We had to drain the nitro out of the car due to a cracked fuel tank. Nitro was contaminated and full of crap so it had to go. I was pissed now we have 8-10 gallons of crap to get rid of and I was not putting it in my drain barrels as we usually filled them up and I needed all of the space. Remember this was Indy possible 8-10 rounds of running.

So looky over there...no over there...Gay Rich's Z-28 rental. Well let's fill it up. I am sorry but if you were...well...dumb enough to buy a used Z-28 rental in Indy shame on you and stop reading here.

I was enlisted to add some drain oil, old clutch fluid, and some old tranny fluid (like we ever used that much? LOL).

Well ok I proceeded to literally fill er up. Well we had more room and found some more 70 wt nitro drain oil to add to the cocktail.

Nice rental car...check. 95 Z-28 convert.
Full tank of ga...well full tank anyway.
Sunny day...check.
Tell Al whatever you do DO NOT ride with Gay Rich tonight...check.

End of day Rich starts car to get it cool with air on to drive Al to dinner. Kind of smoking just a whisp...so we wait. Rich waiting for Al....waiting...Al stalling....wait...Al comes out of lounge announces he is riding with PR guy come on Rich follow us...Rich had the huh look then runs to his car ahh oh ok...end of wait.

Now the pits in Indy were tight and we were parked next to Force which was way to the inside close to stands. So Rich has to drive around and all the way down the pit lane so we all get to watch from the ropes as he fogs his way off into the sunset.

That car had over 12 gallons of crap in it now and 8 plus gallons was Nitro. God Bless America she smelled great. Smokey but great none the less.

That thing bucked and stalled. Smoked and ran like crap for the rest of the weekend. He fogged an intersection out so bad people had to stop and wait for the next light.

It took a while for him to figure out the tank was magically full and oh ohh they might have messed with the car...again.

I never did find out where Rich ended up he kind of faded away over time and I am sure I/we all had something to do with it.

Gay Rich wherever you are make sure you check that car over real good! If your still out there I will get you. I still have some fart in a bag for you.

Al again thanks.
Helen (the real boss) thank you.
Teammates before, during, and after, thanks it was one helluva ride. Proud to have been a part of it.

But like I said many times as a crew we fit in no where else and we were a team of misfits and outkasts (sp is right in this case). We took no prisoners hell you have to feed prisoners and treat em well.

We were a team. We raced as a team. We won as a team. And we lost as a team. But God help you we were always a team. Good, bad, or ugly we were always a team.

I told Bill Stephens I would add this part in a post from a side note we were having on his great article.

"Thanks and if anyone asks the best way to honor him on Tuesday is with a drink at 11:00 AM if you can or a bag of peanut M&M’s. And think of a laugh and a good Al story."

"Thanks again. Also if you remember you were doing a deal on the crew when I worked at Del’s in Brainerd on year 98 I think and you called us hoodlums. We all laughed at you and Del said well hell half of them used to work for Hofmann’s."

“It is kind of like the movie American Graffiti in some ways there was a parallel of personalities in John Milner and Al Hofmann. At the end of the movie….Milner’s car going over the hill. In this case it is Al and Deoge walking away from the truck and trailer at the track….fade to black”

I can only hope someday each and every one of you get the opportunity to be a part of something in life that makes you smile whenever you think of it.

From another board I frequent:

Username: Ronmcc

Post Number: 1

Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 12:49 am:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had a chance to meet Al Hoffman at Southern Oregon dragstrip.I was selling diecast and he was doing a personal appearance.I had 24 1:24 Mooneyes cars to unload.To say the least they werent selling like wildfire.Al came over and said he would sign them if people purchased them.We sat up a card table and the PA announcer announce that Al would sign the cars.It took 3 hours to sell the 24 but Al waited till they were all gone and he had signed them all.Al left for Sonoma the next morning.We saw him Friday night and we talked for about 15 minutes.Hard core racer with a heart of gold.He will be missed.

Back in 94, I was the track operator at the Medford Ore. track, and put on a show we called Top Fuel Tuesday. We invited Gary Densham,Del Worsham, Jim Epler,Tom Hoover, and others for a best of 2 type show. A couple days before the event, I received a call from Al, asking why he hadn't been asked to participate. I told him that I didn't bother because I didn't feel we could afford what his asking price would be. He didn't hesitate to respond with "How about FREE". After my lengthy silence, thinking he was kidding, he said that he needed to test a new clutch, and would make a few pass's. He was not included in the pre-race promo, so when he showed up, and made his half track burnouts, and low ET runs, the place went nuts.
The following year, I of course called him to participate, and he put on another great show, along with the same group from the year prior. In fact Tom Anderson almost quit as crew chief, due to Al insisting on staying on the loud pedal even though he was blazing the tires at 300 feet out.
Toward the end of the evening, Al came into the tower office, and said he could tell by the crowd size, that the race was not going to end up in the green, and told me that only half of his fee would be fair payment, and that he would make up the difference selling t-shirts and hats. Unbelievable, but that was the Al Hofman I will always remember.

Back in 94, I was the track operator at the Medford Ore. track, and put on a show we called Top Fuel Tuesday. We invited Gary Densham,Del Worsham, Jim Epler,Tom Hoover, and others for a best of 2 type show. A couple days before the event, I received a call from Al, asking why he hadn't been asked to participate. I told him that I didn't bother because I didn't feel we could afford what his asking price would be. He didn't hesitate to respond with "How about FREE". After my lengthy silence, thinking he was kidding, he said that he needed to test a new clutch, and would make a few pass's. He was not included in the pre-race promo, so when he showed up, and made his half track burnouts, and low ET runs, the place went nuts.
The following year, I of course called him to participate, and he put on another great show, along with the same group from the year prior. In fact Tom Anderson almost quit as crew chief, due to Al insisting on staying on the loud pedal even though he was blazing the tires at 300 feet out.
Toward the end of the evening, Al came into the tower office, and said he could tell by the crowd size, that the race was not going to end up in the green, and told me that only half of his fee would be fair payment, and that he would make up the difference selling t-shirts and hats. Unbelievable, but that was the Al Hofman I will always remember.

I remember that night like it was yesterday. And we did do okay with the t-shirts. Still don't think you ended in the black but we had great times and memories. Thank you.

Great story!

I know plenty of other stories that I won't get into, but just to give a taste of how "other" people are; a regular booked racer at a local track showed, got his tow money up front (no biggie), he broke his only motor in the waterbox on the burnout. He demanded the track pay him his appearance fee. DEMANDED!? Holy crap! Thats just a pitance compared to others...

...the only reason I mention this is to add to Al's story. Al Hofmann was a legend and will always be remembered as such. For every bad story I hear about him, there are 10-15 good ones, so you be the judge. Obviously he was a man among men and a true showman in my book. He will never be duplicated. Anyone can try, but they couldn't come close.

Just wondering...

Has anyone seen if John Force has mentioned Al's passing in any blog, or on his site ?

Just wondering...

Has anyone seen if John Force has mentioned Al's passing in any blog, or on his site ?

Checked this morning John, didn't see anything that caught my eye. I'm sure he'll have plenty to say this weekend in front of a national audience. He would want a forum like that to speak of his friend and nemesis. Just my .02

Late...........Mitch

Rest in Peace Al, you really brought a lot of personality to the sport.......:D

I was at a Houston race and Al was signing hero cards at the ropes, I went up and asked him to sign one. I already had one in my hand, along with many others. He saw the John Force card I had and grabbed it instead and signed it laughing! He then told me to see if I could get Force to sign his! He was one cool character!

In the Jan 2003 issue of Drag Racer magazine there is a photo of Al on pg 71 ... its just a "head shot" not his car.. he's wearing sunglasses..
I tried contacting Drag Racer mag, and it had been sold during that time & they don't have the photo..

If anyone knows where I can buy an 8x10 of that photo I'll gladly pay the asking price + a donation to DRAW in their name...

Thanks...

I posted this on another site and will share it here as well

Ok story time.

I am saving "the flying rentals" for a day or two...have to ensure statute of limitations is up.

Teaser rental story.

Anyway we had a T-shirt printer promo guy named Rich. Well he was renamed Gay Rich by our diver. He was a big fan of Beavis and Butthead and that was one of the lines so Gay Rich it was.

We messed with Rich and messed with him. I have no idea why he ever came back but he did. And if anyone ever asked if he was really gay we just shrugged and went on. Basic rules apply, never ever confirm nor deny a good rumor.

Oh the little things we did to bug him.
We greased his rental car everywhere with of course a combo of never-sieze and grease.
We put more wheel weights on one wheel then it could possibly hold.
Set it up on blocks one day locked up the trailer and left.
Took off lug nuts on front wheels left in hub cap.
Greased wiper blades.
Fart smell liquid in a ziplock placed in sun on rear deck...

We used to just plain mess with his rentals bad.

So we decided to do it up right one day like we were doing it wrong before LOL.

We had to drain the nitro out of the car due to a cracked fuel tank. Nitro was contaminated and full of crap so it had to go. I was pissed now we have 8-10 gallons of crap to get rid of and I was not putting it in my drain barrels as we usually filled them up and I needed all of the space. Remember this was Indy possible 8-10 rounds of running.

So looky over there...no over there...Gay Rich's Z-28 rental. Well let's fill it up. I am sorry but if you were...well...dumb enough to buy a used Z-28 rental in Indy shame on you and stop reading here.

I was enlisted to add some drain oil, old clutch fluid, and some old tranny fluid (like we ever used that much? LOL).

Well ok I proceeded to literally fill er up. Well we had more room and found some more 70 wt nitro drain oil to add to the cocktail.

Nice rental car...check. 95 Z-28 convert.
Full tank of ga...well full tank anyway.
Sunny day...check.
Tell Al whatever you do DO NOT ride with Gay Rich tonight...check.

End of day Rich starts car to get it cool with air on to drive Al to dinner. Kind of smoking just a whisp...so we wait. Rich waiting for Al....waiting...Al stalling....wait...Al comes out of lounge announces he is riding with PR guy come on Rich follow us...Rich had the huh look then runs to his car ahh oh ok...end of wait.

Now the pits in Indy were tight and we were parked next to Force which was way to the inside close to stands. So Rich has to drive around and all the way down the pit lane so we all get to watch from the ropes as he fogs his way off into the sunset.

That car had over 12 gallons of crap in it now and 8 plus gallons was Nitro. God Bless America she smelled great. Smokey but great none the less.

That thing bucked and stalled. Smoked and ran like crap for the rest of the weekend. He fogged an intersection out so bad people had to stop and wait for the next light.

It took a while for him to figure out the tank was magically full and oh ohh they might have messed with the car...again.

I never did find out where Rich ended up he kind of faded away over time and I am sure I/we all had something to do with it.

Gay Rich wherever you are make sure you check that car over real good! If your still out there I will get you. I still have some fart in a bag for you.

Al again thanks.
Helen (the real boss) thank you.
Teammates before, during, and after, thanks it was one helluva ride. Proud to have been a part of it.

But like I said many times as a crew we fit in no where else and we were a team of misfits and outkasts (sp is right in this case). We took no prisoners hell you have to feed prisoners and treat em well.

We were a team. We raced as a team. We won as a team. And we lost as a team. But God help you we were always a team. Good, bad, or ugly we were always a team.

I told Bill Stephens I would add this part in a post from a side note we were having on his great article.

"Thanks and if anyone asks the best way to honor him on Tuesday is with a drink at 11:00 AM if you can or a bag of peanut M&M’s. And think of a laugh and a good Al story."

"Thanks again. Also if you remember you were doing a deal on the crew when I worked at Del’s in Brainerd on year 98 I think and you called us hoodlums. We all laughed at you and Del said well hell half of them used to work for Hofmann’s."

“It is kind of like the movie American Graffiti in some ways there was a parallel of personalities in John Milner and Al Hofmann. At the end of the movie….Milner’s car going over the hill. In this case it is Al and Deoge walking away from the truck and trailer at the track….fade to black”

I can only hope someday each and every one of you get the opportunity to be a part of something in life that makes you smile whenever you think of it.

Great Story!!!!!!!!!!!
Makes me laugh everytime I read it.

Quite a few years ago (10 or 11) I saw Al at the Phoenix airport after the race. He looked a little grumpy but I approached him anyway to tell him that my two year old daughter had a Barbie doll she named Al Hofmann and that she always called it by both of his names when playing with it. He broke out in a big grin and started laughing. Then he said "That's sweet" or something like that. He thought it was pretty cool and I'll never forget how cool he was.

R.I.P.

Last edited:
Man , this is a bummer ..Al epitimized the " Blue Collar " work ethic for sure and wore it on his shoulder always ..He was a serious dude ...Thanks for the memories big Al ! You were you're own man !

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back