RIP Al.............. (1 Viewer)

onfire

Nitro Member
Just read on Comp Plus that Al Hofmann passed away today. Thoughts and prayers for sure. Helluva racer and all around good guy.

Late...............Mitch

Last edited:
Wow. All I can say is wow.

I never knew the guy, but really liked having personalities like that in our sport. Pepper to spice up the meal. We are going to miss you Al.

Thanks for the memories Al!
His personality came out in his driving and he was as entertaining as a racer can get. I'll never forget the Funny cars VS Dragsters a while back where Big Al dry hopped right into the lights to psych his dragster opponent. It was awesome to say the least. Truly a racers legacy has been left in the wake of Mr. Hoffman's passing. We'll miss you!

Yeah, almost forgot about that dry hop. By far my favorite all time drag racing moment. Thanks for that one Al.

Holy Cow! Al was cool! What a character. What a racer. True to the word. Weird: I just got done watching the majority of the 1998 season on VHS. Toward the end of his career he truly did a lot, with less. God Bless Al.
I remember one year he loaned a body to a driver (can't remember who) so they could possibly take out Force.

An outstanding Funny Car Driver...a great Personality...and one FUNNY DUDE when you got to talk to him!!! My 1st year working at the Mile High's, I was like a deer in the headlights. Kind of "STAR STRUCK"! Right before round 1, i was sitting on the wall in the right lane, and ol' Hofmann comes up and sits right next to me and just starts YAPPIN about how freakin hot it was. I really didn't know what to say, but every year since that 5 min chat, every time I saw him I'd say..."HEY AL HOT ENOUGH FOR YA?"...Funny thing is, he'd stop what he was doing, come over and shake my hand and say..."IT WAS "F#%KIN" hot that day man, wasn't it!" That's the image I'll always have of the guy! I was hoping that just once before he passed he'd come out of Retirement to match race JOHN FORCE!!! RIP AL!!! Look's like Eric has got somebody to race now. Rest in Peace Mr. AL!

Last edited:
They said it was a massive heart attack at his home in Florida. I hope it was quick and he didn't suffer......Man.....I can't beleive it ! Sad news indeed.

RIP Al Hofmann

OMG,this is sad. He wasnt really that old either. RIP Al. you will be missed alot.

An outstanding Funny Car Driver...a great Personality...and one FUNNY DUDE when you got to talk to him!!! My 1st year working at the Mile High's, I was like a deer in the headlights. Kind of "STAR STRUCK"! Right before round 1, i was sitting on the wall in the right lane, and ol' Hoffman comes up and sits right next to me and just starts YAPPIN about how freakin hot it was. I really didn't know what to say, but every year since that 5 min chat, every time I saw him I'd say..."HEY AL HOT ENOUGH FOR YA?"...Funny thing is, he'd stop what he was doing, come over and shake my hand and say..."IT WAS "F#%KIN" hot that day man, wasn't it!" That's the image I'll always have of the guy! I was hoping that just once before he passed he'd come out of Retirement to match race JOHN FORCE!!! RIP AL!!! Look's like Eric has got somebody to race now. Rest in Peace Mr. Hoffman!

Thats classic Al Hofmann Tim !

I remember waiting in the staging lanes waiting to run with the "Spiderman" and Al would always come up to say hi to Larry and tell him "how F__king crazy he was to ride that thing" he thought Larry was nuts....in a good way ...LOL !

Al was a genuine "Car Guy". He just loved hot rods, from his Funny Cars to his '67, 427 tri-power Corvette. He was as hard core of a racer as there has ever been and once you got past his gruff exterior, he was a really good guy.

RIP Al,

Alan

:(
Sad.
Thanks for so many great memories Al.
Absolutely loved the Hoffman / Force rivalry.
Tremedous loss for drag racing today.

Rest in Peace, Al. You were a delight to watch and listen to!

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends. What a sad shock.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back