RIP Al.............. (2 Viewers)

Geez, this stinks. His battles with Force were epic and something I'll never forget. He was a tough, true racer who you just couldn't help but like. RIP, Al. :(

Very shocking news! I didn't care for him initially but then we ran into him at a streetcar race in Orlando one year and had the priviledge of talking to him for a while. I then realized I was wrong about him, what a solid guy with a genuine love of performance in any kind of car.

Godspeed Al Hofmann and thanks for the memories.

Bummer,
Al brought to the table a personality like no other. Some people didn't like him, I thought he was great. I like many others was hoping for the day he would pop back up in drag racing. Thanks for the memories Al Godspeed.

IMHO he is the only one who has "truely" given Force a run for his money since force started being dominate back in 1990..Ya cruz won one,but Al was on his butt year after year there in the 90's.. He will be missed. RIP Al!

Jesus I just went cold. So long boss.

We had some great times. It was a helluva run.

A lot of memories of the team of nomads, misfits, and outcasts that worked as a team, lived as a team and fought as a team.

You were one hell of a wheelman.

You were one ornery sum*****. But we could get you to smile.

You were a good friend.

I am going to do right now what you would want us all to do. Go get a glass of Crown and raise a toast. (Sorry I never did like that CC Ginger crap you drank)

Oh and I am real sorry about that whole greasing of the windshield wipers deal when you had to drive Gay Rich's car.

God speed old friend god speed.

GoodHelp

Dang.

I don't know what to say.

I LOVED watching that guy. I have always hoped for the day he would come back and give them hell again.

What a sad day......

Al always had the reputation of being a BAS Azzzz... Truth he was one helluva nice guy once you knew him..

Back in the 90's I used the take photos at some of the National Events... NHRA was running at Maple Grove.. and there was a real bad oil down, and he was about the 2nd or 3rd car in line to run...

I had a pass to go to the starting line, & saw him get out of his car during the clean up...

I had spoke to him a few times, and I asked him if he would sign a "Slick 50" hat that I had.. (they were one of his sponsors) ...he knew I was a cop at the time & did the photos on the side... so he says to me... after I run meet me at my trailer & if you can get me a "Get Out Of Jail For Free Card" I'll do better ...

I went to his trailer later that Fri. and gave him a PBA card from Stamford PD...

He signed my hat, & GAVE me a Piston & Rod with a clock on the big end of the rod... Its not chrome.. and its all banged up just the way it came out of his car... Now those pistons and rod clocks sell for $75.00 +

I won't sell the one I have for $1,000 now !! its like gold to me!! Al would always say This "F***in" card BETTER WORK if I get stopped... :) We always got a laugh out of that...

BTW I'm looking at it as I type this....

As a PS I lost my son in 96 in a car accident, and he sent a basket of fruit and card.... That Is The Kind Of Person He Was

God Bless Al & his Family...

Last edited:
This is what I use to love in the 90s Hofmann beating up on Force!

THANK YOU for this link MIchael. It was wonderful to watch and listen to. Al, John Force, Steve Evans, tipped nitro cans, man. That was wonderful.

I've been digesting this since I first read about it at 5:30. Man, I'm still in shock. I'm really gonna miss him.:(:(

I am really saddened to hear this. I spoke with his son at the Divisional race in Bradenton and he said his dad was pretty much retired and starting to enjoy it. Al was in the process of moving back to a house he lived in for years - the person who bought the house from him had defaulted - and his son said Al would probably show up at a few of the Division 2 events later this year.

I didn't read all the comments in this thread, but the sheer number in the short time since we found out speaks to the feeling the fans had for Al Hofmann - he was the perfect foil for his rivalry with John Force and the two of them made a lot of match race money off of that rivalry. He had a rough exterior and he didn't pull any punches.

A classic Al Hofmann story: back when a speed of 280 was still a speed barrier not yet broken in Funny Car, a fan with a somewhat large wife, eating a hot dog, showed up at the ropes at Hofmann's pit area. The fan asked Al, "Think she'll go 280 today?" Without pausing, Al replied, "If she keeps eating like that, she will!"

I was hoping to get a chance to say HI to him some time this year - instead, I'll have to settle for "Farewell, Al, it was a pleasure to know you."

Larry the few years I was at E Town & Maple Grove I got to know Al pretty well (see my post about 5 up from yours)...

If you knew Al.. he was a helluva nice guy.. and had a great sense of humor....& yes your post says it all that was the "REAL" Al...

God Bless

I am really saddened to hear this. I spoke with his son at the Divisional race in Bradenton and he said his dad was pretty much retired and starting to enjoy it. Al was in the process of moving back to a house he lived in for years - the person who bought the house from him had defaulted - and his son said Al would probably show up at a few of the Division 2 events later this year.

I didn't read all the comments in this thread, but the sheer number in the short time since we found out speaks to the feeling the fans had for Al Hofmann - he was the perfect foil for his rivalry with John Force and the two of them made a lot of match race money off of that rivalry. He had a rough exterior and he didn't pull any punches.

A classic Al Hofmann story: back when a speed of 280 was still a speed barrier not yet broken in Funny Car, a fan with a somewhat large wife, eating a hot dog, showed up at the ropes at Hofmann's pit area. The fan asked Al, "Think she'll go 280 today?" Without pausing, Al replied, "If she keeps eating like that, she will!"

I was hoping to get a chance to say HI to him some time this year - instead, I'll have to settle for "Farewell, Al, it was a pleasure to know you."

I wasn't going to that story Larry but I was laughing over the last few hours on that and resisted in my typing it. One of the many Al-ism's. Mr. Warmth.

I am just in shock reading this. My thoughts, prayers and condolences to the Hoffman family. Thanks Al, for all the memories. You will be missed.

:(If anybody is in contact with Susie please tell her we miss her out here in Arizona. I am so sad to hear about Al. Susie and the rest of Al's family, we are here for you. Just call if you need anything.... God speed. curt:(

I just found out about this and I don't what to do. I am one of Al's biggest fans and always will be. I've got tears in my eyes. This guy was so cool and so damn tough. A lot has been said about him being a mean guy but I have to say he was always very nice to me. I remember back in 2001 at the Fall Joliet race. This is when Al was driving for Jim Dunn and if I recall they were taken out early. Al, Jim, Jon Dunn and a couple other crew guys were just sittin' around waiting to leave. I had a Mooneyes crew shirt with me that I wanted Al and Jim to sign. Jon took me in the trailer and Al, Jim and I must have talked for a good half hour. I missed the whole semi-finals but didn't care one bit. It was wonderful time and I'm thankful I got to send that time with them. There is an item in my collection that has always meant a lot to me. Years ago, Helen sold me Al's 1994 Western Auto firesuit. It is all beat up, a bit cooked, and full of clutch dust; but it's always been special to me. Now it means so much more. I think Bill Stephens said it best in a magazine article back when Al retired from Drag Racing. Some won more, some were quicker, many were prettier, but none were tougher. I will truly miss Al Hofmann. My best to his family and friends.

Dave

Al was a true racer, his rivalry with Force was legendary. I remember Dallas in (I believe) '97 it was Force and Al in the finals, Al was out of money and Force redlit by about a second. To this day I believe it was an attempt to help Al stay on the circuit. I believe that's how much Force loved and respected the guy.
I remember his wife being incredibly upset after a fire and I asked whats wrong and she said that Al burned the car to the ground out of spite.

Another was when a drunken fan was at the ropes during that same season and threw a wadded up 5 dollar bill into the pits saying how he wanted to help Al stay out there. They pulled a case of Bud out of the trailer, had everyone sign it and gave it to the guy. ( jeez I just told that story to the guys yesterday)
You have probably guessed by now that I paid a lot of attention to what Al was up to.

I've truly missed seeing Al out there and I'm torn up knowing that now we will never see him return.
Godspeed Al...you are one of my heros.
My glasses are fogging up, what a sh*&ty way to start the day.

This is a sad day for drag racing. I had hoped that somehow Hoffman would have come back and given Force some good competition this year. Very sorry to hear that he passed away.

Godspeed, Al.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back