RIP Al.............. (1 Viewer)

I was shocked by the news. Keep the Hofmann's in your prayers. I sponsor Wayne, Al's son and I know it will be tough on them.

God Speed Al.

:( :( :(

Like Buzz said "wow" I can't believe it. Al was one of my favourite Funny Car drivers as a kid growing up, he came up from the bottom to becoming a serious threat. From the China Syndrome, to his BDS cars (Also running in Australia in the Team U.S.A F/C Daytona) to getting the Western Auto Deal, to then going back out on his own, Al just raced and earnt everything he got. A pure racer and a character.

R.I.P Al, you were a champ!!

Michael

al was a great guy, close to my house we have the dover drag strip reunion once a year, that day i happened to wear my mooneyes t shirt, at the time al was sponsored by mooneyes, and it was a rained out maple grove ( go figure) and al was in town to visit relatives in connecticut, well al just stopped buy unannounced to check out the cars. when i hear this guy yell- hey nice shirt! i turned around and it was al, we talked for a few minutes , what a great and freindly guy! r.i.p al you will be sadly missed! :(

I'll never forget this comment Al made. He was about to face Cruz Pedgregon in the final, and was being interviewed after his semifinal win. After Cruz's semi win, he had said something about knowing he was one of the best drivers in the world; he'd been thru a rough spell and I don't think he meant it to sound the way it did, but when Al was asked about his chances, he said something to the effect that it would be tough since he was going to be facing 'one of the best drivers in the world'

I just about fell off the couch at that one.
This feels eerie to me. Saturday at the gators I could have swore I saw Al sitting on the roof of the suite down at the 1000ft mark. I just wasn't sure so I didn't say anything. Now I wish I had asked.

A sad day!

What a colorfull, tho somewhat gruff guy.

When Al raced he went for the throat!

They broke the mold with him - except for my personal hero Big Jim Dunn!

Where are those coming up that have that LOVE/HATE ability with the fans?

I remember seeing him race in the late 80 out here on the swing. Couldn't believe he came all this way from Florida. This was back in the BDS blower days before he had any real funding. And there was Helen to with he cowboy hat. Later they got Western Auto and made a pretty good run for a while. RIP!

That's sad.
There is a whole era of professional drag racing that was personified by Al.

My thoughts are with Al's family and the family of racers who loved him.
God speed Al.

Sad news. I remember he had a BDS blower on the dually they used to haul thier trailer, and at some race he blew up his funny car, AND the motor in the truck. I remember Steve Evans commenting about all the work he had to do just to leave that track that day. We will never for get him.

This just sucks, Hofmann was awesome!! Loved that BDS car! Can`t count how many times I stood at their rope in Pomona and watched those guys thrash between rounds. Tommy Anderson had that cig hanging out of his mouth, Helen was doing the clutch and Al was usually kicking it in the lounge. Man, when they did their warmup, there was the biggest friggin` yellow nitro cloud I`d ever seen. Great racer who did things his way! RIP Al....you will be missed!

I had never heard of Al Hoffman when he showed up on the shores of Australia to take the place of Paul Smith who was booked to drive the Team USA Funny Car in 1985/6. Not only did Al put on a good show he rattled of a few 5's which were few and far between in Australia at the time with a best of 5.84. From then on I was a fan.

RIP Al!

I am stunned right now hearing about Al.

I have a quick story from a matchrace back in 1991 at New England Dragway. Al was having his best season ever, in fact I think it was right after winning the Winston Invitational...anyway, they warmed up in the pits before Rd1 and it was a typical loud, eye burning "yellow" clouded Hofmann style warn-up. When they shutdown, the crowd booed (jokingly). Al was getting out of the seat, stopped, looked at Anderson and said "lets do it!". The crowd cheered as they fired it back up and whacked the throttle 3-4 times....best performance of the evening, seeing it got rained out 30 minutes later.

Rest in peace Al and thank you for all the wonderful memories!

Al was a driver who always spoke his mind. I will never forget the day back at the 1991 Summernationals (I am pretty sure, I was young) when Al was parked next to Ed McCulloch's Otter Pops Funny Car and apparently the door on Al's trailer facing Ed's trailer opened and slammed into Ed's trailer (actually Larry Minors). Ed came into Al's pit fuming wanting to know what happened and I seem to recall Al telling Ed he didn't want any of him and he better go back to his pit to cool down. I never heard of anyone standing up to Ace until I saw that. I will also never forget Al running 306 under the Friday night lights at E-Town and I think that was a national record at the time (94 or 95 I think). Who will ever forget the rivalry with Force, so many memories. Thanks for the memories Al, RIP.

:( :( :(

Like Buzz said "wow" I can't believe it. Al was one of my favourite Funny Car drivers as a kid growing up, he came up from the bottom to becoming a serious threat. From the China Syndrome, to his BDS cars (Also running in Australia in the Team U.S.A F/C Daytona) to getting the Western Auto Deal, to then going back out on his own, Al just raced and earnt everything he got. A pure racer and a character.

R.I.P Al, you were a champ!!

Michael
He also drove door cars. Shoed a mean m/p Camaro called "Sundays Child" At Ct. Dragway.
Anyone remember his dig at the NHRA during the awards banquet (in the Winston days) about not being smoke at a Winston event?

Godspeed Al.......

alhofmann-1.jpg

This is the day I met Al Hofmann at Maple Grove (92). Everyone said don't go over there, he's mean and nasty. Never one to back down, I walked over and said "Mr. Hofmann, do you mind if I take your picture?" He looked up and responded, "My name is Al, and if you wait a second, I'll be ready"...If you look closely, you will even see a bit of a smile:)
Always been a favorite of mine.

RIP Al...and prayers and condolences to the Hofmann family

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back