NHRA will allow any engine in any chassis for 2018 (1 Viewer)

Sean, my point was NHRA screwed up the class back then. Nothing they’ve done lately gives me any confidence they would do a better job today.

This just in-
KB Racing announced that they found the Dodge Dart to be a better package in which to run their GM motors.
GM retaliated by pulling all sponsorship from the team and from the NHRA........

Elsewhere, NASCAR officials sat laughing with their beers, remarking that "at least we got Toyota to run Toyota motors in their cars..."

Truth is the New Mustang body is the slickest aero package. Now imagine them dominating PS, all he!! will break loose

Wrong! They submitted a body design for the Challenger to make the shoebox aerodynamic equal to the Camaro. AJ admitted too many changes would have to be done to make it competitive. You can look at the Dart and see its hundred times more aerodynamic than the Challenger anyone can see that.

To many changes to meet NHRA's spec package, not to make it competitive. I had this conversation with AJ in Gainesville when they debuted the Dart.

If you read the latest interview with Allen Johnson, he stated that he retired because he had no fight in him to go chase another 2 million dollars to run next season. Can't say that I blame him. The rule change that NHRA came up with was a lighter schedule. This change is 100% the driver's counter proposal. The engine builders also agreed to lower the cost of leasing their engines to help fill the fields.

yes but you go to those events expecting mixed combos, the term Pro Stock implies stock configuration in NHRA, which went away many years ago.....I am arguing with myself here.......

I think this is the point some are missing....."some" including the sanctioning body. Namely that in Pro Stock there has always been at least the presumption of stock - even if in modern times that simply meant the engine castings carried a factory part number. Stock and Super Stock have always required the engine to be of the same manufacture as the body, and Pro Stock was the pinnacle of what could be done with a "stock" combination. In the other pro classes there is no presumption of stock, so the use of a universal engine design is simply the best way to get the job done.

Pro Stocks were originally referred to as Factory Hot Rods, but you can't call them either when the engine doesn't match the body! Maybe we call them Funny Stock? :)

Truth is the New Mustang body is the slickest aero package. Now imagine them dominating PS, all he!! will break loose

I can guaran-damn-tee it that by the time the bodies are "tweaked" to be NHRA Pro-Stock approved the Mustang won't be the most aerodynamic one.

I can guaran-damn-tee it that by the time the bodies are "tweaked" to be NHRA Pro-Stock approved the Mustang won't be the most aerodynamic one.

IIRC Jerry Haas was the one who made that statement about the "new" Mustang body. He said there are people waiting to put a DRCE in them.

I still miss the weight break years but I hope this works out. Long live Pro Swap I mean Pro Stock

I am pretty sure that the casual fan in the stands won't care about this change. They will just continue to root for whoever is their favorite driver.

Besides, in Funny Car you have Toyotas, Fords, Chevy's etc all using the same HEMI engine yet I don't here anyone complaining about that?

I am pretty sure that the casual fan in the stands won't care about this change. They will just continue to root for whoever is their favorite driver.

Besides, in Funny Car you have Toyotas, Fords, Chevy's etc all using the same HEMI engine yet I don't here anyone complaining about that?
I was thinking the same thing. Funny car started out as A/FX, which was for factory experimental and evolved to funny car. Some tried to stay with Ford and Chevy engines but changed over to Chrysler hemi style engines to remain competitive. Same thing is happening with Pro Stock.

I was sad when I heard Allen Johnson was retiring. Now I understand why he and Roy got out. I doubt Roy would have fielded a car w/ a Chevy powerplant. NHRA was always bending the rules to favor Chevy. Going way back to when they tacked on such a heavy weight break to make the 426 style hemis un-competitive. They did the same thing to Bob Glidden when his fords dominated the class. I thought the 500 inch rules leveled the playing field between brands. but the geniuses in Glendora found another way. RIP Pro stock. It's over.

Because Funny Car eliminator isn't referred to as the Factory Hot Rods............

I was sad when I heard Allen Johnson was retiring. Now I understand why he and Roy got out. I doubt Roy would have fielded a car w/ a Chevy powerplant. NHRA was always bending the rules to favor Chevy. Going way back to when they tacked on such a heavy weight break to make the 426 style hemis un-competitive. They did the same thing to Bob Glidden when his fords dominated the class. I thought the 500 inch rules leveled the playing field between brands. but the geniuses in Glendora found another way. RIP Pro stock. It's over.

At what point do you guys (Ford and Mopar fans) hold your manufacturer responsible? NHRA didn't go a good job with the factoring back then, but they made everything even in 1982, saying everybody has 500-inches to work with and come in at the same weight, and left it there for THIRTY FIVE YEARS. And keep in mind that after that change, a Ford from Whiteland Indiana terrorized the class without penalty, and when Wayne County ruled the roost and AJ peaked, nothing changed either.

I think all of us can agree whether we're GM, Ford or Mopar faithful that the NHRA didn't do a great job managing the class 50 years ago, but that was 50 years ago. But for the 35 years that they left the class alone, through dominant years from all 3 manufacturers. So if your brand is no longer relevant, maybe it's time to ask THEM why, and not the NHRA.

Sean D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back