NHRA will allow any engine in any chassis for 2018 (1 Viewer)

The traditional HEMI is better suited for blown alky/Nitro. The version AJ was running is based on the new generation Hemi. WJ talks about it in his interview that is in another thread here.

The traditional HEMI is better suited for blown alky/Nitro. The version AJ was running is based on the new generation Hemi. WJ talks about it in his interview that is in another thread here.

A twisted wedge, very comparable to the DRCE, need more money to get it to optimum performance. If I heard WJ correctly he said the HEMI should run better than the GM

A twisted wedge, very comparable to the DRCE, need more money to get it to optimum performance. If I heard WJ correctly he said the HEMI should run better than the GM
The problems with running a hemi are #1 the 10,500 rpm limit and #2 parts availability. Mopar is no longer making parts.

I think it stinks like a catalytic convertor :(
It will guarantee I lose all interest at 12:00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 am 1/1/18.
~
I've always liked Pro Stock right from the second Jenkins launched at the first PS at the Winters looooooooooooooooong ago.

Maybe this move will change Mopar's (and Fiat's) minds and, seeing an opportunity, they will pour lots of $$$ into a capable engine builder, perhaps a newly retired one with lots of time on their hands. Maybe they team up with a "professor" who sees some promise in the new engine program. Sort of a "Yates/ Roush" kind of partnership.
Then an affordable wedge or new Hemi that can win appears for sale and to many's surprise, starts displacing GM and Ford powerplants.
Hey, why not....happened already in a couple of other, popular classes....

Then the NHRA will have to figure out how to explain all this to GM and how it saved the class.....

Pro Stock Fiat 500? With a Hemi.... No, wait, it's not on the approved list. I think a car like that would go straight for, oh, at least the first 60 feet... :rolleyes: Wait, didn't the SEMA show have a Prius with a Hemi? Now that would make a cool "Pro Stock" car.

No Fiats, just thinking about how a field of Hemi or Mopar wedge powered Camaros , Darts and Mustangs would piss off GM ;)

Prior to to rule change why were there only 3 or 4 Mopar teams and really only one competitive team? If Mopar was serious about PS and there were more teams dedicated to racing a Mopar you would see more. I think this is a good move allowing more body styles not just GM, Ford and mopar but also Honda or Toyota. Who knows maybe the Manufactures will slowly come back and participate again. I doubt you will ever see them pour money into an engine program though at least not for 500 cube one.

A good move allowing more body styles? You're obviously confused. There were no new body styles approved, nor any new engines. Only that any currently approved engine can be put in any currently approved body.

What exactly are you talking about? Where did you read anything about them allowing new body styles in Pro Stock?

A good move allowing more body styles? You're obviously confused. There were no new body styles approved, nor any new engines. Only that any currently approved engine can be put in any currently approved body.

What exactly are you talking about? Where did you read anything about them allowing new body styles in Pro Stock?

I think it is you thats confused. Read what Jerry Haas said and you will understand.

I think it is you thats confused. Read what Jerry Haas said and you will understand.

In a history-making decision made at the request of the teams, NHRA will allow Pro Stock racers to run any currently approved engine combination in any currently approved body, regardless of the manufacturer, during the 2018 NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series season.

Does not really matter what anyone say's except NHRA, Camaro Mustang Dart

In a history-making decision made at the request of the teams, NHRA will allow Pro Stock racers to run any currently approved engine combination in any currently approved body, regardless of the manufacturer, during the 2018 NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series season.

Does not really matter what anyone say's except NHRA, Camaro Mustang Dart

I have no idea what your point is?!? Where are you guys reading that NHRA will not approve any new design if Corvette or another manufacturer wanted to get involved PS? Are they really going to turn a manufacturer away? I thought that was the whole purpose for the rule was to have more body styles as long as they are approved. Maybe I misunderstood something.

"Even before this announcement I’ve had some interest from people wanting to run Mustangs, and I’m sure that as soon as the announcement gets out there, I’ll get more calls and interest in the Dodges, too” said Jerry Haas, who has been building Pro Stock chassis for four decades. “All three of the bodystyles – Ford, Chevy, and Dodge – are so close aerodynamically that there’s no advantage or penalty for choosing your favorite. They’re all so close its unreal.”

“The new Mustang is a very pretty car,” opined Haas. “It’s been ready for over a year and I think a lot of people, including Ford, are eager to see it out on the track.”

I have no idea what your point is?!? Where are you guys reading that NHRA will not approve any new design if Corvette or another manufacturer wanted to get involved PS? Are they really going to turn a manufacturer away? I thought that was the whole purpose for the rule was to have more body styles as long as they are approved. Maybe I misunderstood something.

"Even before this announcement I’ve had some interest from people wanting to run Mustangs, and I’m sure that as soon as the announcement gets out there, I’ll get more calls and interest in the Dodges, too” said Jerry Haas, who has been building Pro Stock chassis for four decades. “All three of the bodystyles – Ford, Chevy, and Dodge – are so close aerodynamically that there’s no advantage or penalty for choosing your favorite. They’re all so close its unreal.”

“The new Mustang is a very pretty car,” opined Haas. “It’s been ready for over a year and I think a lot of people, including Ford, are eager to see it out on the track.”

the catch for me is the word "currently" not "any" approved. What if Toyota comes in with a super slick aero package on one of their cars, then runs a KB lease motor and dominates the class?? Right now the "current" cars are fairly similar aerodynamically, I believe the Mustang is slightly better. So my guess would be before a new car gets approved the big 3 teams would have a say in it

I've never heard the reason for not accepting the Corvette body. I know at one time it was because the Corvette was fiberglass, maybe someone can chim in that might know more about that.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back