NHRA TO REMAIN 16-CAR FIELDS FOR 24 RACES IN 2018 (1 Viewer)

So, by their own decision they will have 8 car fields shortly...................pay to play, or 16 races per year

I heard a little bit of SEMA coverage on Facebook, and Erica said that while NHRA was pleased with how the competitors pulled together and caused NHRA to keep 16 car fields, they also pulled $500k out of the purse for 2018. That was the first I had heard of it. PS may end up going to s “pay to play” model like Pro Mod eventually.

I was talking with a well-known Pro Stock racer at SEMA who confirmed this is true, and the $500K is going to the fuel classes. He was less than pleased and thinks the whole "cut events, no make it 8-car fields at some events" thing was a power play to take away money.

Well the fuel racers obviously need more money, but every class does. Cannibalizing within the existing classes isn't the way to do it IMO. In fairness to the NHRA, it's tough having enough the money to throw at 4 pro classes. And of course, that is a whole different conversation... I do wonder if NHRA will promote the fact that they have increased purses for the fuel cars? My guess is no, because I'm sure they'll get called out for taking it from PS. After listening to Erica, it feels like the path is leading toward NHRA treating PS more like Pro Mod, and putting more responsibility upon the racers themselves to find funding for their class.

I heard a little bit of SEMA coverage on Facebook, and Erica said that while NHRA was pleased with how the competitors pulled together and caused NHRA to keep 16 car fields, they also pulled $500k out of the purse for 2018. That was the first I had heard of it. PS may end up going to s “pay to play” model like Pro Mod eventually.

I bet the salary for the newly created President comes in at $500k +/-.

Which begs the question of why a non-profit needs both a president and CEO.

I bet the salary for the newly created President comes in at $500k +/-.

Which begs the question of why a non-profit needs both a president and CEO.

That's a good question. I tried wading through the IRS tax code for how an organization needs to be structured to get a 501(c)(3) tax exempt status (which is what I think the NHRA is), but egads, what a PITA. Good thing I am not a tax accountant/lawyer - I'd go nuts.

From ProPublica. The NHRA is a 501(c)(6) organization, and this link gives their tax filing for 2015: http://bit.ly/2hb0iXm

In this, it tells us what the compensation is for key members of the NHRA. Peter Clifford, for instance, made a seven figure salary.

From ProPublica. The NHRA is a 501(c)(6) organization, and this link gives their tax filing for 2015: http://bit.ly/2hb0iXm

In this, it tells us what the compensation is for key members of the NHRA. Peter Clifford, for instance, made a seven figure salary.

this is how it is a non PROFIT, their expenses have their income come out to zero PROFIT. Left over money, big bonuses

I cant think of 1 reason NHRA would need a President and a CEO. Next there probably will need a COO.

And that's probably simply a matter of economics. When manufacturers can no longer justify producing parts at low volume, they cease to do so. There have always been more competitors in PS running GM parts, so the demand remains steady. GM parts are always available - and less expensive. As a Mopar racer I know this all too well :(

Regarding Derek Kramer, does anyone know if he's switching brands, or switching to a different class? Doesn't appear to have an engine shortage from the pics here (but what do I know?): https://www.racingjunk.com/Pro-Stoc...&page=2&categoryId=26&offset=13&from=category

Spoke to Derek at Vegas-he anticipates racing around 14 Pro Stock events next year with a Chevy and KB power.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back