Pro Stock to have 8 car fields............... (1 Viewer)

Just food for thought, to at least get away from a total Camaro field, what about using a single engine platform? Obviously the Nitro and Alky ranks use a morphed hemi and Pro Mod engines dont match the body style, why wouldn't it work for Pro Stock? Sure, it would defeat the original intention of the class, but there has not been any real or proper factory support for years. Obviously the GM based power plants have the most available parts, technology and engine builders familiar with the platform. Ford has been gone for the past 20+ years outside of a failed attempted a few years ago with Larry Morgan and it looks like Mopar is out, leaving no real options for multiple engine platforms. Not to mention, with how competitive PS is in this era, I dont think we would ever see complete level playing field with multiple brands, even with factory support. Just a thought, while not ideal, I am trying to figure out how to get my fix of heads up, naturally aspirated, 5-speed racing! It would at least add some variety to the class.

Blasphemy, put a GM power plant in a MOPAR? talk about pissing of car guys.
I know a guy who put an LS in a 2010 Challenger for Dragweek, he received death threats at the event.

Blasphemy, put a GM power plant in a MOPAR? talk about pissing of car guys.
I know a guy who put an LS in a 2010 Challenger for Dragweek, he received death threats at the event.

While I don’t agree with the death threats, I am one who thinks the engine should be the same make as the car.
Especially a non-Mopar engine in any Mopar.
As far as a spec engine in PS, that will certainly kill the class.
But, without manufacturer involvement, the class is going to wither away anyway.

Yeah and NHRA said no way, great idea from long time racer, that explains NHRA direction for PS. PS has been around a long time and they need support from the other Pro classes we're a family.

Problem with the common engine platform idea is that the manufacturers would never go for it. And it seems manufacturer's involvement is important (at least from the letter).

What??? Lol!

Get your wallet out, homie. The handwriting is on the wall. The only difference, if they're smart (they, being the NHRA), is that it won't happen overnight like the stunt they pulled with the other dumbass rules. FSS, or some form of it will be the new Pro Stock in the near future. It's the only thing that makes ANY sort of sense from the standpoint of factory involvement, cost control and the subsequent effects those two factors will have on overall participation.

Sean D

Not at national events but a divisional would be more like it!

Problem with the common engine platform idea is that the manufacturers would never go for it. And it seems manufacturer's involvement is important (at least from the letter).
There's no manufacturer support now, which is why I was thinking along these lines. The average fan in the stands isn't going to know or care what's under the hood, but will identify with a recognizable body style.

If the NHRA is waiting for the manufactures to come back and help save Pro Stock I think they might be in for a long wait!
The day's of counting on the manufacturers for support for either the class or by the racers I think is over for the most part.

Just my opinion Jim Hill
www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

It would be cool to see a "pro version" of the FSS with tube frame chassis but with cars that have all the correct factory dimensions and a variation of a stock block under the hood with maybe a turbo or supercharger. Now if we can only get full manufacturer support....

It would be cool to see a "pro version" of the FSS with tube frame chassis but with cars that have all the correct factory dimensions and a variation of a stock block under the hood with maybe a turbo or supercharger. Now if we can only get full manufacturer support....
I like what you're saying but these teams invested millions the last 2 years into NHRA's idea and now it looks like they're trying to drop the class. Just wonder if other pro classes are supporting PS ?

Bore spread.
Runner length.
RPM chip revision.

Let every mfg find what works for them, and turn them loose.

I think a VIN and tin car, like a "Pro FSS" would be awesome. The Candies car in the video a couple of pages back is a very cool car and there are a couple of more Super Stockers that are similar. My main concern about going that route is parity and factory support. Over time one setup would be dominate and there would need to be adjustments made to keep an even playing field. Not that it cant be done, but right now GM is setting the pace in FSS. Either way, Pro Stock as we know it appears to be gone. On a side note, while the single platform engine might be as polarizing as Politics and Religion, it would open the doors to a new manufactures that have never been in the class. While it might a horrible thought to some, it would allow Ford, Mopar, Toyota and other makes to have a presence in the class. Kind of like Funny Car bodies, it would be a lot easier to get factory support for a Five Star body as apposed to full on engine R&D program.

For those that suggest a "spec" engine, maybe just limit it to a "spec" shortblock and have each manufacturer responsible for internals, heads, EFI, etc.

in a class with "stock" in the name, none of the factories are going to run a spec engine based on something they did not develop.
Toyota wins on Sunday, driver interview.....
Well this LS powered Toyota really ran well this weekend...................:p
IMO the deciding factor is factory sheet metal that people can recognize what model car it is.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back