Pro Stock to have 8 car fields............... (1 Viewer)

To me, the all Camaro issue is the biggest problem. The fact that most races are a car or two light is less of a problem than having the same model car in potentially all spots. Again, not sure how that gets fixed, but I'm also not sure where cutting the field in half at select events does anything to help anybody.

FSS is closer to where PS began, and having seen them run at a national event they are really fun to watch. Don't get me wrong, I've loved Pro Stock since its inception and hate to see it go, but it has gotten way too far from stock to be interesting, and has lost the excitement it once had.

I'm exactly where you are with this part of your post, word for word. I'm a GM guy through and through, but this class has gotten all but ruined by Chevrolet's dominance. I loved the true factory wars of the '70's, '80's and even a little bit in the early '90's. Loved rootin' for Shepherd to whip up on Glidden and hated it when it was the other way around. I WANT Ford back in there. I WANT Mopar back in there. FSS has a fantastic platform for that as long as the NHRA gets on top of what's going on and stays there.

I'm looking forward to it, personally, and hope that's where it's headed.

Sean D

Definitely would have made more sense to just reduce their schedule like the bikes imo.

I just don't see how that's anything other than putting a Band-Aid on the problem. Fewer races won't bring Ford back into the picture. Fewer races won't bring Mopar back into the picture. The class is so far out of control from a cost standpoint that it can't be reigned back in and because of that, it's circling the drain at a faster rate than ever before.

Start the bus, the ballgame is all but over.

Sean D

FSS is supposed to have 7 races in 2018 as a stand alone class. To me, that is pointing to FSS as replacing Pro Stock. I well remember Bill Jenkins winning the first Pro Stock race at Pomona & how the fans liked the class. Jenkins ran 9.99 in the final & the crowd loved it. FSS is as close as it gets today to the original Pro Stock.

Cutting fields to 8 cars will only cause the class participation to drop. No reason for the normal 12-16 cars in the current field to even bother to show up at the races with only 8 spots. Guys like Kramer, Delco, Prusinksy can stay home from those events. I don't have the answers to save the class but this won't help it.

lets see how this works out.....this still gives the few companies involved in PS (summit, jegs, etc.) exposure
for all 24 races, so those few sponsors won't feel the need to cut budgets......couple of good running independents show up
at the 8 field races and try to bump off one of the 8 touring regulars (this will happen)......and most importantly, this totally frees
up a lot of mello yello money that hopefully mite end up over on the nitro side; which i don't care how you slice it, nhra is
nothing without nitro fc and tf.

the events with 8 cars.....please fill in with sportsman racers allowing the same or more time between nitro
sessions; the fans at least deserve that......and while you're at it, cut the PSB field at brainerd to 8 too please.

I just don't see how that's anything other than putting a Band-Aid on the problem. Fewer races won't bring Ford back into the picture. Fewer races won't bring Mopar back into the picture. The class is so far out of control from a cost standpoint that it can't be reigned back in and because of that, it's circling the drain at a faster rate than ever before.

Start the bus, the ballgame is all but over.

Sean D
I didn’t say it would fix it but it would make more sense than what they’re doing. A 16-18 event schedule would probably get full 16 car fields. Lots of part timers only run 12-18 events, that would make it a full pull for a lot of them.

The problem with Pro Stock and most of all the sport is money. Factory support is almost nill, like i mention in earlier post like Ford not in they're furture plans, and payouts haven't kept up with the times. NHRA needs a major make over starting at the top down. The board, i seriously doubt if they have any meetings its just there for tax exempt purposes. I have said for last three years NHRA wanted to get rid of PS but did not want to fight in court like PST. Now that these PS teams have invested millions in the EFI program and now NHRA cutting there play time you can be sure that there will be arbitration in a court setting. This is really said for this sport.

The problem with Pro Stock and most of all the sport is money. Factory support is almost nill, like i mention in earlier post like Ford not in they're furture plans, and payouts haven't kept up with the times. NHRA needs a major make over starting at the top down. The board, i seriously doubt if they have any meetings its just there for tax exempt purposes. I have said for last three years NHRA wanted to get rid of PS but did not want to fight in court like PST. Now that these PS teams have invested millions in the EFI program and now NHRA cutting there play time you can be sure that there will be arbitration in a court setting. This is really said for this sport.

It all starts with the fans lack of interest in Pro Stock! So why would NHRA and their broadcast want to spend more viewing time on a field that the fans aren't interested in.
The sponsors won't invest in a dying class it's common sense!
Dominated by basically one manufacturer doesn't help! There are no longer manufacturers Wars like the old days they obviously saw the classes direction.
Your blind if you don't see it! NHRA can't persuade fans that aren't interested no matter how hard they try!
Pro Stock Motorcycle isn't much better either!
I seriously don't think anybody could save Pro Stock which at one time was my favorite class and I've been going since the early 70's!

The whole damn show needs to be dropped to 8 car fields. Watching a handful of tire smoking, blowing up, part time top fuel or funny car racers is a waste of time as well. John Force, Don Schumacher and Connie Kalitta have created this mess. I hate watching what this sport has become since I fell in love with it back in 1985 when I went to my first National event.

Imagine how much it's changed for the guy that have been going since the early 70's!
What's really changed the sport more than anything is broadcasting it!
I believe that NHRA still pays to have their events broadcasted so no money is coming in to increase payouts to possible attracts more participants! That's not a problem for NASCAR, INDY, NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL!
That's why their team caps go up because of tv money! That's not the case for NHRA!
Unfortunately NHRA is not tv friendly!
I have NHRA ALL ACCESS and have it on all three days.
NHRA has kind of caused this dilemma buy trying to cater to newbie fans they have alienated the older hardcore fans hence the problems your seeing today!
The countdown, 1000' letting Mello Yello ( Cokacola) stop opposing drink competitors sponsor teams all hurt its appeal!
Monster Energy pulled out from sponsoring Kenny Bernstein because Coke had full throttle but now that Coke bought Monster they are now okay! Same thing happened to Jerry Toliver and Rock Star Energy drink!
Lots of reasons NHRA has problems!

It all starts with the fans lack of interest in Pro Stock! So why would NHRA and their broadcast want to spend more viewing time on a field that the fans aren't interested in.
The sponsors won't invest in a dying class it's common sense!
Dominated by basically one manufacturer doesn't help! There are no longer manufacturers Wars like the old days they obviously saw the classes direction.
Your blind if you don't see it! NHRA can't persuade fans that aren't interested no matter how hard they try!
Pro Stock Motorcycle isn't much better either!
I seriously don't think anybody could save Pro Stock which at one time was my favorite class and I've been going since the early 70's!

I cant believe i'm actually agreeing with you on a subject but you are spot on. The PS teams complain about not getting coverage and promotion but what is there to promote? You can not grow fan appeal if something is not appealing. The NHRA and PS owners/teams are both at fault for ignoring the writing on the wall and allowing PS to go stale.
Wanna know how to keeps fans in the seat and make PS more appealing? Run them between every other pair of fuel cars during qualifying and elimination WITHOUT cleaning either lane. Now I'd pay to see that!

flash forward to the 2018 Winternationals...
"The returning champ in Pro Stock ____________ pulls to the line in the first qualifying session against....hey, is he the only one here? Nobody else showed up?"
"Nope, but Pro Mod has a 32 car field waiting for ___________to make his run....."

Factory stockers are too slow for TV....Pro Mod will be the next wave....besides they can run with the same track prep as the nitro teams, right? They look like they do after half track.....(also think 1000ft for them too)

I think it's important to keep in mind something very important when we talk about the future of drag racing.
Drag racing on the local level seems to be doing fine for many drag racers who never attend at National Events or even Divisional Events.

The problems are more related to the National Events and the Divisional Events.
I have been happy to see the fan attendance numbers at many National Events up this year which is a good sign for the NHRA

The Glory Day's of Pro Stock had the manufacturers involved in a big way and that has disappeared for the most part which is a major reason for the lack of interest on the part of fans and racers.
Now it is similar to watching the old IROC day's of circle track racing with every car looking the same. Not very interesting for many fans to watch.

Watching the Pro Classes like top fuel and funny car I sometimes wonder what it might be like once a few of the big team owners decide to retire and stop racing.

As hard as it is to think about it and except could 12 car fields be in the future for all Pro Classes someday? We all know car counts are going in the wrong direction!

Just my opinion. Jim Hill
www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

Why have Mopar and Ford left? NHRA rules packages.......
PS is tailored to GM
remove the rev limit and Hemi's are competitive again. The rev limiter was the final nail in the coffin. Hemi's come alive above 10,500.

Besides all the other problems the average fan can not relate to. If you kept all the exact same rules except mandatory factory sheet metal, any car produced, the class would make a come back. The person in the stands would be like, " hey thats what I drive". My car just kicked your cars butt.

Just read NHRA's statement to "work with manufacturers to revive PS" more like how to keep GM onboard.
All GM products even GM will lose interest, developing products to beat themselves :confused:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back