Pro Stock to have 8 car fields............... (1 Viewer)

Wasn't Erica's team working on a pro mod car awhile back. Maybe she was smart to already be planning a future without pro stock.

Used to love the class but it's blah now. Take the wheelie bars off, get WJ back out there getting mad at everyone and do something to get other brands out there.

1/8th mile, no time won't work!

What??? Lol!

It won't!

Get your wallet out, homie. The handwriting is on the wall. The only difference, if they're smart (they, being the NHRA), is that it won't happen overnight like the stunt they pulled with the other dumbass rules. FSS, or some form of it will be the new Pro Stock in the near future. It's the only thing that makes ANY sort of sense from the standpoint of factory involvement, cost control and the subsequent effects those two factors will have on overall participation.

Sean D

Why have Mopar and Ford left? NHRA rules packages.......
PS is tailored to GM
remove the rev limit and Hemi's are competitive again. The rev limiter was the final nail in the coffin. Hemi's come alive above 10,500.

It’s not the first time NHRA changed the PS rules to GM’s benefit. You’d think the powers that be would have learned from their previous mistakes.
The weight breaks killed the Hemi.
PS cars started getting out of hand when NHRA allowed Grumpy, through a very liberal interpretation of the rules, to run a tube chassis in his Vega.
Now they run shocks that cost more than many peoples’ homes.

I think Mopar knew this was coming and gave a final "middle finger" to the NHRA and their rules when they released the Demon....it goes quicker than a 9.90 car and has a VIN so it's a car you can buy and drive unlike the COPO's and other "factory stock"( yeah right ) cars.

I think mopars's last hurrah was when the elite guys couldn't make it work. I'm convinced if Erica and jeg was winning races in '16 mopar would have stuck around and to add insult to injury, the guy they dumped was faster than the new 'mega team'

if PS is going to save itself; and if elite/kb/grey really care about the class, then maybe those 3 teams should put their heads
together and decide on a cost savings approach going forward....shocks, intakes, valvetrain parts, etc.....something to minimize
the costs and make the class more attractive and remain competitive; maybe even with different engine combinations.
then the racers could approach nhra and say 'we have an answer that we're all in agreement on'......if they wait for nhra, they
get something like this 8 car deal thrown at them

If Pro Stock goes away. What will those teams do? Some may stop racing. Some may go to FFS. How long do you think it will be before those that do have the cost of a competitive engine / vehicle beyond what today's racer in that class can spend?

Let me add - Somewhat Off topic.

I believe that some of what is going is the direct reason of some years ago when there was a nitro supply problem and NHRA limited testing and said that match running was the same as a test session.

In my opinion what made these classes popular and the NHRA grow was match racing.

Match running back in the late '60-'70's is what created Pro Stock.

Stan

Last edited:
I think mopars's last hurrah was when the elite guys couldn't make it work. I'm convinced if Erica and jeg was winning races in '16 mopar would have stuck around and to add insult to injury, the guy they dumped was faster than the new 'mega team'

That was dumb, and I mean absolutely DUMB to think that was going to work in what was essentially less than one season anyway. If Mopar actually thought that was plausible to start with, then they can add that to the shame they should've felt for dumping the one team that stuck with them through thick and thin and brought them the championship to start with.

Sean D

and the fact it is basically one manufacturer, correction one model..

The 8-car fields in Pro Stock GUARANTEE there will be nothing but Camaros, since the Mopars often qualify in the bottom half. 2018 will be the last year for that class, as NOBODY will watch that except Chevy execs. "Lookie! A Camaro won! We are so awesome!" ........ As they give themselves self-congratulatory pats on the back. Sad that such a great class has come to this.

I have reading a lot of good thoughts on this topic. I am a Drag Racer from 70s and 80s to me the best time in Drag Racing. NHRA needs to look back at what built this sport rather than making off the cuff steps they've been making trying save this class..
This is what will save PS, for 2018 take rev limiter off Mopar to where they will be competitve, forget the 8 car field, then both parties get there hard heads out of there ass and fix the class. Just this first step will make sure field is full. At least there would be Chevy Mopar out there as for Ford who knows with this new CEO. I love PS and do not want to lose it.

What I find interesting about the letter NHRA sent out is they mention talking to teams, sponsors and others involved in the sport about coming up with ways to "improve and bring attention to the class". However, it does not look like there was any attempt to get input from the fans. For me personally I would be much more interested in the class if there was more participation. The days of 25-30 car fields and just getting qualified was never a given was fun to keep up with. While I am just as big of a fan of PM and FSS, there is still a void in drag racing if PS goes away. PM and FSS are unique in there own way, the pure power of PM and the stock body, current technology and oh yea a 9" tire make both classes great. However, as a fan I still want a heads up, naturally aspirated, tube chassis with a clutch door car. I have said it over and over, I think NHRA Pro Stock needs a spec head and fuel system to control cost. There are enough racers out there who would love to race PS if it went back to a millionaires class instead of a billionaires class.

In the last three + calendar years MOPAR has won three times. All three by AJ.

Before the rev limit came into play, the Dodges were not the highest revving by far. The KB guys were.

In the last 13 races AJ has qualified top half 8 times. I think Roy would be insulted to hear that he needed a rules exemption to be competitive.

I think the entire class could do much to help themselves and that they are now receptive to doing so.

Quick Quiz. Do you think a Pro Stock School (kinda like Nitro School) would help? And would you attend if you were at the event?

As always, just my opinion and my facts.
Alan

I have reading a lot of good thoughts on this topic. I am a Drag Racer from 70s and 80s to me the best time in Drag Racing. NHRA needs to look back at what built this sport rather than making off the cuff steps they've been making trying save this class..
This is what will save PS, for 2018 take rev limiter off Mopar to where they will be competitve, forget the 8 car field, then both parties get there hard heads out of there ass and fix the class. Just this first step will make sure field is full. At least there would be Chevy Mopar out there as for Ford who knows with this new CEO. I love PS and do not want to lose it.

All the good ones in Glendora ARE GONE. :(

I think it would be a huge mistake ending Pro Stock, but The NHRA needs to get Fords and Mopars in here, even if it involves a weight break to make them competitive, I personally love the new burnouts they started doing in 2016. Go back in time, let them run small blocks and weigh less, let them run 900 cubic inches and weigh more, to hell with the 500 cubic inch rule!

Last edited:
I think it would be a huge mistake ending Pro Stock, but The NHRA needs to get Fords and Mopars in here, even if it involves a weight break to make them competitive, I personally love the new burnouts they started doing in 2016. Go back in time, let them run small blocks and weigh less, let them run 900 cubic inches and weigh more, to hell with the 500 cubic inch rule!

No to weight breaks. All you’re doing is rewarding mediocrity. Go back and look at the weight breaks that were put in place in the early ‘70s.
Instead of telling the GM racers to build better engines, NHRA hammered the Hemis with weight breaks that effectively legislated them out of existence.
Once Bob Glidden began dominating with the 351 Cleveland, NHRA made his 351 Pinto weigh more than a big block Camaro.
Because Ford and Mopar, for whatever reasons, no longer support PS, you’re not not going to see them spend tons of time and money developing new engine programs for a class where fan and manufacturer interest is extremely low.

In the last three + calendar years MOPAR has won three times. All three by AJ.

Before the rev limit came into play, the Dodges were not the highest revving by far. The KB guys were.

In the last 13 races AJ has qualified top half 8 times. I think Roy would be insulted to hear that he needed a rules exemption to be competitive.

I think the entire class could do much to help themselves and that they are now receptive to doing so.

Quick Quiz. Do you think a Pro Stock School (kinda like Nitro School) would help? And would you attend if you were at the event?

As always, just my opinion and my facts.
Alan

And a championship by him and one by Jeg using RoyPower

Not the highest but hurt the most by the 2000 rpm reduction

Roy does not, but give them all back the 2000 rpm and MOPAR starts winning again

Keep everything the same and enforce factory sheetmetal, any current production model. People need to be able to relate to just went down the track. Hey I drive one of those, That looks just like my car (Challenger) in the parking lot. My car (Challenger) just whipped your cars (Camaros) butt. Look that Mustang is the same model as mine.

PS no, FSS yes, after all it is going to replace PS. :)

Just my facts.

I believe Elite did a great sales job on MOPAR, selling the fact of how big they are and could put MOPAR in the winners circle. MOPAR bit hook line and sinker, the facts are Roy Johnson is the HEMI God and MOPAR screwed the pooch and paid the price. If MOPAR would of stayed with AJ and AJ would of run 2 cars they would still be here today.

Whatever the NHRA decides to do plan on doing it without the manufactures support. in anyway because I believe those day's are over.

Start thinking out of the box and maybe even consider a class where everyone runs a sealed crate engine to get the costs under control and maybe more racers just might decide to try it.

Right now you have a class that most racers cannot effort to run without spending millions just trying to make a show.

Jim Hill
www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

Here is my take on the deal, and I've posted this before. Pro Stock has lost it's fan appeal, at least in my opinion. What made it fun for me, had to do with direct manufacturer involvement for the most part. Bob Glidden Ford vs. WJ Olds, or Reher & Morrison and later all them vs. Wayne County Mopars. That really made the show, and that was hyped on TV as well. In my mind I can still here Steve Evans talking about a "Classic Ford vs Chevrolet battle!" As the cars were staging, and it truly was. Of course we also had several other great Pro Stock drivers but I'll just use them as an example. The rivalry was a big deal between drivers and manufactures. Now days it's all Camaros, and the rivalry is which Millionaire / Billionaire kids and grand kids are pissed at whomever because of an engine lease deal gone bad, or changed hands. I still pull for Greg Anderson and Jason Line for being old school guys from my home state.

How do we get fan appeal back? I don't know. I think it's too far gone, and there's no turning back no matter how many races they run, or what rules they change. The class is too expensive, the cars don't look that much like factory cars, list goes on.

I think the factory stock showdown stuff is pretty cool. They are very much stock appearing cars. I think my next race car might just be a 5th/6th gen Camaro.
You can find a used Gen 5/6 SS V8 Camaro for $25,000. Put a nice set of Weld wheels, appropriate rubber, a nice converter, and a tune, and you will run well into the 12's if not the 11's for $30,000. You could put that car next to a FSS car and darn near not be able to tell them apart without opening the hood or looking underneath. I think that is appealing to fans, and racers alike.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back