Pro Stock to have 8 car fields............... (1 Viewer)

ironpony

Nitro Member
NHRA apparently has distributed a letter to their Pro Stock teams informing them of changes to their division for 2018. The factory hot rods will still race 24 races, but in nine of those events, the traditional 16-car ladder will reduce to 8-car fields. Right now, our understanding is that Houston, Topeka, Epping, Englishtown, Bristol, Denver, Sonoma, Seattle and Brainerd will run the abbreviated fields.

Play death march here...............

I like the idea, for now. If and when the class gets stronger they can put it back.
Hopefully they will add some money back to the purse...looks like 40k will be available for losing spots 9-16

Hopefully they will add some money back to the purse...looks like 40k will be available for losing spots 9-16

my bet is, the only place that money will be going, is the executive bonus packages!! the same people responsible for allowing the class to get to its current status..... well deserved!!!

Only 9 cars in the class have attend all 21 races so far (Anderson, Line, Butner, Enders, Coughlin, Allen Johnson, T. Gray, Skillman, Prusiensky), Nobile (who recently bailed) with 20 and McGaha and Laughlin with 17 a piece. I get the 8 car field at some races. No A.J. in 2018. So what happens to all the local racers who have come out and filled out the field? E-Town and probably Epping can surely get Delco, Smeland and Gaydosh to show up. Why only 8 cars there? At Topeka and Brainerd, River and Hogan will show. And what about Pomona? 2 races, but only 2 cars on the Left Coast, Steve Graham and Tom Huggins? Pro Stock isn't even a big thing there. Why should those races have 16 cars? Why not less races, rather than shorter fields? Sorry, I'm a little wound up. Just finished my second fantasy hockey draft. Carry on.

I'm not exactly sure what cutting the fields at select races is going to do to help the situation....:cool:

I think the old saying "The handwriting is on the wall" applies here.

Hope I am wrong about this one.
The times are changing and drag racing will be forced to change with them or become obsolete!

Change is inevitable but it still hurts to see it happening.

Jim Hill
www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

The whole damn show needs to be dropped to 8 car fields. Watching a handful of tire smoking, blowing up, part time top fuel or funny car racers is a waste of time as well. John Force, Don Schumacher and Connie Kalitta have created this mess. I hate watching what this sport has become since I fell in love with it back in 1985 when I went to my first National event.

The whole damn show needs to be dropped to 8 car fields. Watching a handful of tire smoking, blowing up, part time top fuel or funny car racers is a waste of time as well. John Force, Don Schumacher and Connie Kalitta have created this mess. I hate watching what this sport has become since I fell in love with it back in 1985 when I went to my first National event.
I think you'll find that many part time teams have really upped their game, and are going fast without constant carnage. The big teams have been helping the smaller teams and it show. There's no shortage of blow-ups and tire smoke among the big teams. No matter what, it's nitro and it's going to happen. Nothing stays the same, drag racing is not the same as it was in 1985, but, is anything? And as I posted before, just this past weekend I enjoyed what I thought to be a very entertaining race.

Just a matter of time, boys and girls. The Factory Shootout cars are on their way in the door as the new Pro Stock.

Sean D

They look like what is parked in the parking lot and people can relate to them. Better yet you do not need a decal on the windshield to know what car it is.
How many diehard fans even realized JFR ran the Ford bodies labeled as Chevy's??
AJ was pushing for this a year ago, his opinion was they would be almost as quick in a season of development and all "factory" parts.

Just heard a piece on Fox, The recent hire of CEO Ford Motor Jim Hacket say that Ford will be putting all future development on Trucks, Electric and self driving vehicles to help stop downward slide of company stock. Sounds like Volvo eliminating gas powered vehicles in 2 years. From what I see and hear Ford won't be investing in motorsports.
I don't undertand there thinking, just priced a 2018 F450 crew cab dually loaded $ 100,000. .How do they expect average people to buy there product, hell electric cars are expensive too. Guess i will be restoring my 99 F350.

Connie does it for LOVE. :)

Hate to say it but sounds like nhra is slowing fading out ps. To bad,like watching that class,boo nhra boo

They look like what is parked in the parking lot and people can relate to them. Better yet you do not need a decal on the windshield to know what car it is.
How many diehard fans even realized JFR ran the Ford bodies labeled as Chevy's??
AJ was pushing for this a year ago, his opinion was they would be almost as quick in a season of development and all "factory" parts.

I couldn't agree more. This is the direction to head, from a number of standpoints. I hope it happens.

Sean D

Hate to say it but sounds like nhra is slowing fading out ps. To bad,like watching that class,boo nhra boo
You're likely correct about the phasing out. They don't want to just drop the class and have another Pro Stock Truck debacle.

FSS is closer to where PS began, and having seen them run at a national event they are really fun to watch. Don't get me wrong, I've loved Pro Stock since its inception and hate to see it go, but it has gotten way too far from stock to be interesting, and has lost the excitement it once had.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back