NHRA TO REMAIN 16-CAR FIELDS FOR 24 RACES IN 2018 (1 Viewer)

The biggest way IMO to "revive" Pro Stock would be to switch to a pro version of the Factory Stock showdown: "factory correct" dimensions, tube frame, carbon fiber body panels, and a "pro" version of whatever engines they are using now for the COPOs, Cobrajets, Drag Paks, etc. Of course, owners would balk as it would make their current inventory useless.
This is what needs to happen but I can't believe it will. I can't see the pro stock guys even changing from 500 cid motors. Do you think they are going to obsolete their own inventory? Until that happens, I just think it is small talk to keep 16 cars on Sunday.

The biggest way IMO to "revive" Pro Stock would be to switch to a pro version of the Factory Stock showdown: "factory correct" dimensions, tube frame, carbon fiber body panels, and a "pro" version of whatever engines they are using now for the COPOs, Cobrajets, Drag Paks, etc. Of course, owners would balk as it would make their current inventory useless.

If you look back to the beginning at what made the class great - and popular with the fans - this is it in a nutshell. The cars looked like their production counterparts and used an engine platform anyone could buy. It was within reach for a group of guys to pool their money and go pro racing. I personally know guys who did this and were quite successful until the need for a megabucks budget took over. Now it looks so far from stock and so special-special that the casually interested have no interest because it's completely out of reach.

I agree with David because i knew guys that did the same as well. I think that going to stock apearing body w/ tube chassis and 400 to 450 cuin would be cool they would slow down a little but that would be ok. As far as currant inventory, if they phase in new program like for 2019 there inventory would be depleted it dont last long not at rpm they're running

How could there be a big inventory of parts when so many are saying the class is dead because of participation? Plenty of sportsman racers would be interested in purchasing the "obsolete" parts. It's money put into R&D that would make them unhappy.

How could there be a big inventory of parts when so many are saying the class is dead because of participation? Plenty of sportsman racers would be interested in purchasing the "obsolete" parts. It's money put into R&D that would make them unhappy.
The only sportsman class that would use them maybe would be Comp. eliminator and it's dying a slow death too.

There are no MOPAR parts available, hence AJ leaving, Roy told me at Norwlk they would be luck y to finish out the year Kramer selling off all his stuff......Ford has not been around for years. Only GM has stuck it out, which leads us to where we are now.

There are no MOPAR parts available, hence AJ leaving, Roy told me at Norwlk they would be luck y to finish out the year Kramer selling off all his stuff......Ford has not been around for years. Only GM has stuck it out, which leads us to where we are now.
All three have plenty of parts for all the copo motors. It would be interesting to see what Nick and the other engine geeks could do with them I hope it happens !

only issue is AJ and Mopar proposed this and NHRA shot it down, but it would be the revival of PS to me, that and factory sheet metal

There are no MOPAR parts available, hence AJ leaving, Roy told me at Norwalk they would be lucky to finish out the year Kramer selling off all his stuff......Ford has not been around for years. Only GM has stuck it out, which leads us to where we are now.
And that's probably simply a matter of economics. When manufacturers can no longer justify producing parts at low volume, they cease to do so. There have always been more competitors in PS running GM parts, so the demand remains steady. GM parts are always available - and less expensive. As a Mopar racer I know this all too well :(

Regarding Derek Kramer, does anyone know if he's switching brands, or switching to a different class? Doesn't appear to have an engine shortage from the pics here (but what do I know?): https://www.racingjunk.com/Pro-Stoc...&page=2&categoryId=26&offset=13&from=category

Last edited:

While this could reduce costs for competitors, I can't imagine this helping the class as far as fan appeal goes. I think the fans - at least those who are "car" people rather than "circus watchers" are more brand-loyal than some of the competitors. To me knowing that what's under the hood matches the body is paramount - in Pro Stock anyway. Many people already think the class has become too much like funny car with functioning doors, and this certainly goes a long way toward making their perception correct. It's bad enough we have the basic Mopar Hemi design being labeled as "Boss 500" "Chevy 500" or Toyota in the fuel classes. But in those classes or Pro Mod there's no presumption of "stock" implied. Do we want Pro Stock to go there? I think I'd shake my head and walk away from bogusly labeled powerplants.

Last edited:
Do you honestly believe a MOPAR racer will put a GM power plant in a Dodge car............I know the answer

NEVER..................

Now the Ford guys put LS's in the Mustangs all the time

If NHRA opens the bodies to all manufacturers it may help, but factory sheet metal.

"Dominator" on Street Outlaws runs a BBC in his '70 Dart, and I want him to lose every time. I mean, the car looks good but I cannot get past the sacrilege of using non-Mopar power in any Mopar.

"Dominator" on Street Outlaws runs a BBC in his '70 Dart, and I want him to lose every time. I mean, the car looks good but I cannot get past the sacrilege of using non-Mopar power in any Mopar.

I did not realize that is that a recent switch? no more rooting for him

I did not realize that is that a recent switch? no more rooting for him
It’s not recent. I believe that’s what he has been running ever since the show started.
And, I am wrong about the year of the car. It’s a ‘67 Dart.

Well, if nothing else, all of this conjecture has at least created some buzz for the class. That's more than it had a couple of months ago.

Engine switching is nothing new. GM has been at it for 40 years, starting in 1977 when they started installing 350 Chevy's in the hot selling '77 Cutlass Supremes because they couldn't make enough Olds 350s to cover the demand. It's what enabled GM NASCAR racers to use Olds Cutlass fastback bodies on the high speed tracks like Talladega and Daytona.

I heard a little bit of SEMA coverage on Facebook, and Erica said that while NHRA was pleased with how the competitors pulled together and caused NHRA to keep 16 car fields, they also pulled $500k out of the purse for 2018. That was the first I had heard of it. PS may end up going to s “pay to play” model like Pro Mod eventually.

Then they would be on par with the funny cars since the Toyota’s, fords and chevys all run Chrysler hemp block motors!
I think it will be the stupidest move in the history of the class! So basically Chevy is cheap horse power! I guess that’s what it would take to finally add different manufacturers bodies instead of it being the Camaro Nationals!
How about giving back the innovation side of it instead of over regulating it to the point of boredom!
I bet you the fans still leave in droves after the fuel cars run! LOL

I heard a little bit of SEMA coverage on Facebook, and Erica said that while NHRA was pleased with how the competitors pulled together and caused NHRA to keep 16 car fields, they also pulled $500k out of the purse for 2018. That was the first I had heard of it. PS may end up going to s “pay to play” model like Pro Mod eventually.

Not surprising at all, and likely, not a big deal to many of the teams. From the sounds of things, the major players are trying to work something out for an affordable leasing solution to the lesser funded teams, and if this statement about the purse cut is true, that tells you all you need to know about how important money is to them. They're just a bunch of rich folks that want to keep playing.

Sean D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back