NHRA will allow any engine in any chassis for 2018 (1 Viewer)

It is "evolution" trucks are the new hot rods.................`Have you been to a diesel drag race? 8000 lb trucks running in the 10's driven to the track and then home, lay down easily over 1000hp on the dyno, over 2000 ft lbs of torque, these are the monster the kids of today want.
I live a few miles from National Trails Raceway, home of the Mopar Nationals, cruise nights have almost as many Dodge Cummins as the cars.I know I bring the truck out and the wife will bring one of the cars.
Also imo the factories with the computers on the newer cars have killed most DIY builders, they have become more like computer tuners, if you can get into the computer, heck you get the tire dia. out of the computers range it will go into limp mode. The diesels have not quite reached that point yet although they are very close, they already have space for the turbo, just make it bigger, change the injectors to bigger, much simpler more available tuning.

Face it, the class is done. This latest decision to allow any engine is basically life support. Somebody needs to just pull the plug and be done with it.

these kids are modding the trucks to spray smoke on Prius cars, protestors, bicyclists, outdoor cafes and ( in that video ) the police...although the cops may be their buddies in old cop cars
anyway, these mods are going to get the gov't to come down hard on them someday

I understand why some do not like what the class has become, however I do not understand why some are so focused on wishing its demise. Let's just leave all those good people with dream jobs unemployed. Not everyone on the "rich guy" teams are out there just playing around. If you are unhappy with the class just don't watch it. There is plenty of good racing to choose from.

I don't ever wish it's demise....I just wish that the NHRA would use some common sense when meddling with the class.

If Pro Stock is too expensive, change rules to cut back on expense like no titanium, smaller motors, run carb or EFI - whatever you can afford as long as it's competitive. Instead they made it a GM playground.

I'm surprised they didn't put stutter boxes on the faster ones and take weight off the slower ones to make it even...and boring

"We need to move to EFI because that's whats on today's engines." OK, so I can also buy a factory Dodge Dart with a GM part number on it's V8 block? A Camaro with a Hemi in it? Where does any of their changes make sense?

If the Nitro cars are going too fast, slow them down, don't shorten their run length. They don't want to, because they advertise the hell out of 300+mph runs. Pretty soon it will be 1/8 mile for them.

If they went back to less clutch and smaller cubic inch motors, they wouldn't be able to advertise "SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY ! Come see the next chapter of performance of the KINGS OF THE SPORT! 4 second runs at speeds up over 200mph!"

But I would go and watch...

Guys, at least give NHRA some credit for trying to keep interest/car counts in the class. While I am not a fan of the EFI and no hood scoops, I understand where they were coming from on the change. I can only assume EFI was an attempt to get the manufacturers more involved, but there was no real support from anyone but GM. As for favoring GM, I dont think there is any favoritism involved, GM is the only source for parts right now. Not to mention, there are not any engine shops that can make a competitive PS MOPAR or Ford right now. Another point is any engine in any body, so if you think you can make a competitive MOPAR or Ford, knock your self out. But, I would suggest talking to Larry Morgan or Elite before you start the project!

Yet, Ford, Chevy and Dodge (even Toyota and Nissan) make street V8's that can be modified into race engines instead of the total custom engine they have now. They should of went back to street engines with modifications and they would of been better off!

I don't ever wish it's demise....I just wish that the NHRA would use some common sense when meddling with the class.

If Pro Stock is too expensive, change rules to cut back on expense like no titanium, smaller motors, run carb or EFI - whatever you can afford as long as it's competitive. Instead they made it a GM playground.

I'm surprised they didn't put stutter boxes on the faster ones and take weight off the slower ones to make it even...and boring

"We need to move to EFI because that's whats on today's engines." OK, so I can also buy a factory Dodge Dart with a GM part number on it's V8 block? A Camaro with a Hemi in it? Where does any of their changes make sense?

If the Nitro cars are going too fast, slow them down, don't shorten their run length. They don't want to, because they advertise the hell out of 300+mph runs. Pretty soon it will be 1/8 mile for them.

If they went back to less clutch and smaller cubic inch motors, they wouldn't be able to advertise "SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY ! Come see the next chapter of performance of the KINGS OF THE SPORT! 4 second runs at speeds up over 200mph!"

But I would go and watch...

I agree with the above. The NHRA could easily say that titanium is no longer allowed, allow EFI or carbs, prohibit computer controlled suspensions, etc. Just as they allowed the more expensive parts and technology, they can disallow them. All in the interest of reducing the costs.

Chevy is the "official truck" of the NHRA. That couldn't have anything to do with the current rules, could it?

Just sayin'.

I would still like to see Pro Stock using factory correct appearing bodies, all lightweight materials on a tube chassis with a current factory based motor massaged by the builders. Keep the clutch and the 5 speed I bet they would run in the sixes and be a blast to watch. As for the current pro stocks being boring, to me any N/A car with ddoors and a 5 speed running 6.50's at 210 mph in 1320 feet will never be boring

and for anyone who disagrees with that, remember this http://www.arizonadrivermagazine.com/PDF_Motorcycle/AZD5-2_MA06_O_MCHDNHRA.pdf

not complaining....just is what it is

I think you're right, because when Ford was the Official truck all those years they dominated Pro Stock as well!
Oh, wait, they didn't did they?.......

Ford left Pro Stock and Funny Car deciding to spend their budget in the Sportsman ranks. Not because of rules.

MOPAR Left Pro Stock deciding to spend their money in Funny Car and the Drag Pak program. Not because of rules.

If NHRA doesn't allow swapping engine brands in Pro Stock there's no chance anyone runs anything else. At least now hopefully there will be other cars on the track.

And once again, the current rules are the same for everybody! There was not a single rule that was changed for one brand over another. In the last 20+ years MOPAR has won the Championship twice. The last time was 2013. Erica won in 2014 and 2015 so why isn't this a conspiracy against females? Or red cars? Or teams from Oklahoma? After all, Oklahoma teams won 3 times in 6 years. THEY MUST BE STOPPED!!!!!

Alan

Last edited:
This post says all that needs to be said.

Please tell me where that trail leads, because every team I know saved HUGE MONEY at 10,500 that they spent before that.
Yes, the EFI switch cost all of the teams, but please tell me who profited from 10,500.

I'll be waiting........
Alan

This is probably sacrilege (my tonge turned to fire just typing this)...but what about just using NASCAR legal engines in Pro Stock? I know they aren't optimized for drag racing, and they are stupid expensive, and a dozen other reasons, maybe hundreds of other reasons, but at least NASACR has been able to pretty much equalize the various manufactures engines. That way NHRA could let NASCAR do the heavy lifting in that regard. It would be better than an aftermarket "Chevys" powering all the factory hot rods :-/

Mr. Red Letter, which manufacturer is the official truck of NHRA?
Which engine platform is most prominent in the Pro Camaro class?
Which engine platform is everybody talking about using now?
Which engine platform was the least hurt by the 10,500 rev limit?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back