NHRA will allow any engine in any chassis for 2018 (1 Viewer)

ironpony

Nitro Member
perhaps someone can link the story here.
The official end of PS
Obvious why AJ retired this year.

https://www.nhra.com/news/2017/nhra-allow-any-accepted-enginebody-combination-pro-stock-2018

The final nail in the PS coffin. Why would anyone want to race or watch a Mopar/ Ford/ Whatever powered by a Chevy? Unless they lift the 10,500 RPM limit, the Chevy is the only motor currently competitive and being developed. And why would anyone running a Chevy motor build anything other than a Camaro? That makes no sense and frankly, if I was a Chevy racer I would be insulted to have some clown telling me they beat me with their "Mopar," "Ford" or "Kia" that's powered by a Chevy. Just put the class into Comp Elim where all the other misfit combos live. (No disrespect to Comp - it's a great class with some really smart guys.)

Last edited:
Yet another reason for me to continue recording the races. That way I can fast forward past both Pro Stock classes.
What a stupid decision by NHRA.
It’s bad enough to put a GM engine into a Ford. It’s total sacrilege to put a GM engine into a Mopar.
Just drop the class, and use the money to fight the teams in court; just like PS Truck.

let's say someone comes along with a lot of knowledge in setting up a particular toyota chassis....maybe he ran in comp.
maybe he ran overseas. maybe he ran in whatever doorslammer class. no way does he have enough money to develop a
500 c.i. toyota engine to compete against the 3 engine bldrs. in the class.......now, maybe a door opens and he can compete
in nhra PS......maybe he's so good at chassis setup that he starts winning.....IMO that would be interesting.

Whatever interest I had left in Pro Stock has been destroyed with this announcement. For Round 1 of Pro Stock eliminations at the Winternationals, all fans should turn their backs to the track and not watch.

Whatever interest I had left in Pro Stock has been destroyed with this announcement. For Round 1 of Pro Stock eliminations at the Winternationals, all fans should turn their backs to the track and not watch.
I hope that every fan in attendance vacates their seat as soon as the fuel cars finish running. Seeing completely empty bleachers while the cross-breed pro stocks are playing with each other would be hilarious.

Most people if not told of the new rule wouldn’t even notice. Those engines are so far from what they are called it’s scary. These are purpose built N/A race engines plain and simple. Zero in common with what anyone can buy off the showroom floor. At Least you should see something other than 16 Camaro’s.

Last edited:
I just don’t see how this will benefit anything. If your handful of non GM runners wanted to run GM, wouldn’t they already be in Camaro’s?

Most people if not told of the new rule wouldn’t even notice. Those engines are so far from what they are called it’s scary. These are purpose built N/A race engines plain and simple. Zero in common with what anyone can buy off the showroom floor. At Least you should see something other than 16 Camaro’s.

I think its hilarious people on here whining about a Chevy engine in a Dodge. Jerry Haas stated there are people interested in purchasing and running a Mustang in PS including Ford so how is this a bad thing? “The NHRA Technical Department worked very closely with the Pro Stock teams and the vehicle manufacturers in finalizing this rule change,” said NHRA Vice President-Technical Operations Glen Gray. “The cooperation from all of those involved in the process was very encouraging and we look forward to the 2018 Pro Stock season.” If AJ retired because of this(and i really doubt this was the reason) then so what.
And the only fans who will vacate because of this are the ones stuck in 60's and 70's who really thought PS cars of today are running a Chevy/Ford/Dodge engine.

Doing this would be to insult the drivers and crews that have to play by the stupid rules NHRA imposes. It won't offend the NHRA suits as they couldn't care less about PS.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back