NHRA will allow any engine in any chassis for 2018 (2 Viewers)

It is not always about the money, McGaha a GM guy who also has a HEMI program stated the 10,500 hurt the HEMI a lot more than the GM engine. Whereas the HEMI gains 40 hp above 10,500 the GM hp is flatter.

So MOPAR is supposed to develop new heads to run at the new 10,500 limit? where did that save them any money. GM stays as is because they do not see an increase above 10,500.

I am listening...............

I never meant that Harley is given special treatment....heck I'm always complaining that the NHRA throws too much weight on my favorite team in PSB.

I know that Official Vehicle of the NHRA isn't enough to sway them,but how long have I had to hear that the Dodge Boys (again my favorite team) were given special treatment because MOPAR sponsored 2 races?

In the end it's all hearsay, but I really wish the NHRA changed the PS rules to help all the teams save money by backing things down instead of what has transpired.

No Titanium
Wheelie bar rule was good, maybe go further to see some more air under them
350-429 cubic inch limit.....or go back to big blocks run one weight, small blocks get a break on that
Allow turbo V6 or even 4 cylinders against the rest with weight breaks as needed
go back to 4 speed (clutchless), Ronnie Sox vs Butch Leal vs Herb McCandless all over again
No RPM limits....sky high revs will make them sound like Modified Eliminator is back once again
If someone is wacky enough to make a Tesla electric run PS, bring it on but no special breaks...if they run as fast as PS does now, they gotta make the batteries and chassis weigh what 500" PS currently weighs
Let the carb guys run against EFI if they want to

Mr. Red Letter, which manufacturer is the official truck of NHRA?
Which engine platform is most prominent in the Pro Camaro class?
Which engine platform is everybody talking about using now?
Which engine platform was the least hurt by the 10,500 rev limit?

Mr. Ted.
Ford was the official truck of NHRA for 6 or 7 years. Why didn't they win Pro Stock?
GM has ALWAYS outnumbered the rest of the Pro Stock class.
Who else is still making parts for Pro Stock?
KB Racing was the team most hurt by the 10,500 because they were the team revving the highest that had to make the biggest adjustment.

Also KB was the team the bitched the least, because they looked at the new rules and went to work immediately, then won the next 12 races.

Any of that not clear?
Alan

Last edited:
It is not always about the money, McGaha a GM guy who also has a HEMI program stated the 10,500 hurt the HEMI a lot more than the GM engine. Whereas the HEMI gains 40 hp above 10,500 the GM hp is flatter.

So MOPAR is supposed to develop new heads to run at the new 10,500 limit? where did that save them any money. GM stays as is because they do not see an increase above 10,500.

Ken,

If KB was not seeing an advantage above 10,500 why in the world were they shifting at 12,000?

Not arguing, just discussing. Did you know that at KB racing a DYNO pull started at 9,000 RPM?
Why? Because the engine never was below that during the run. I'm an engine guy and that blows my mind.

Alan

One other piece of inside information, keep this handy for an argument in the future (whether it's with me or not) in Pro Stock, above 200 mph. 40 horsepower is 1 mph.

So if one guy is running 208 and another is at 206, that's HP. And if your favorite runs 6.62 at 208 and mine runs 6.68 at 208. My guy screwed up his run, he isn't down on power. Also your guy nailed it, for the power he has.

Alan

to keep the engine in its sweet spot and maintain down low acceleration by not having to go to lower gearing, killing et.
best of both worlds?

Mr. Red Letter, which manufacturer is the official truck of NHRA?
Which engine platform is most prominent in the Pro Camaro class?
Which engine platform is everybody talking about using now?
Which engine platform was the least hurt by the 10,500 rev limit?
Alan P.S. just became the rich guys comp class the only ones that can afford the engines required to run P.S are the well endowed and not by birth_---

Still trying to figure out why WJ never said a thing about rpm limits keeping him from running a hemi.

WJ does not run a HEMI program, McGaha does and he stated factually the HEMI was hurt by the rpm limit.
WJ did say he liked the design it was a lot like the DRCE, and if he had a blank check and parts he would run one in his GXP body.

It is the only move that will keep any variety in body style. The only way to have matching engine/body combos is factory support and GM is the only factory involved. If you are a die hard Ford guy, no mater how much you spent you would never have a competitive Ford and with the Johnson's retiring a competitive MOPAR is pretty much out of the question moving forward. So, take your pick an all Camaro field or more Fords and MOPARs than ever. I will take the ladder. I also firmly believe this move will actually get more factory involvement. As I have mentioned before, it will be a lot easier to get a factory to help out with cost body as opposed to a full on engine program.
More factory involvement? Why would Ford or Dodge get involved w/ Chevy powered race cars. You may get Toyota Nissan or some other factory involved. I doubt Ford or Dodge would ever get into sponsoring a Chevy powered P/S car.

somebody in this thread commented about nhra not caring about pro stock, which based on nhra's orginal decision to
shorten the PS season, is most likely true......it seems like (3) gm engine builders have convinced nhra that they can attract
enough competitors to maintain status quo. i hope these (3) teams have looked at competitive fee schedules for engine leasing.
regardless of body type, they are fighting for car count in the only pro door slammer class nhra has. a class featured at
24 national events and on FS1......there is nothing stock about it and hasn't been for many years....the johnsons were the last to 'win it all' with power other than gm. no one else has been close for years; and the johnson's spent a fortune for their single championship......there are not too many out there that want to jump into this class and spend a fortune against ken black, the grays, and elite.......i'm hopeful these 3 teams have a good plan and the class can become interesting again. the future of the class is on their backs.....mike miller: i love that tune by willie nelson
The Johnsons had 2 championships one w/ Allen the other w/ Jeggie.

I still miss the weight break years but I hope this works out. Long live Pro Swap I mean Pro Stock
The "weight break years were good for Chevrolets, bad if you ran anything else. The 500 inch rules truly leveled the field. until NHRA figured out another way impose restrictions on different engine combinations.
Why did they enact the RPM limit anyway? The FI would have been more interesting w/o it.

The "weight break years were good for Chevrolets, bad if you ran anything else. The 500 inch rules truly leveled the field. until NHRA figured out another way impose restrictions on different engine combinations.
Why did they enact the RPM limit anyway? The FI would have been more interesting w/o it.

It was well intentioned and did save some huge dollars on spring replacement, but the HEMI was a casualty of this because they made more HP above 10,500 than GM did.

More factory involvement? Why would Ford or Dodge get involved w/ Chevy powered race cars. You may get Toyota Nissan or some other factory involved. I doubt Ford or Dodge would ever get into sponsoring a Chevy powered P/S car.

I am looking at from a standpoint similar to funny car bodies, all of the big team have a brand alliance and I see the same thing happening next year in PS. Why would they put $ in to a GM powered car? Cost of entry. As I have said before it will be much easier to get a factory to spend $25-$100k to run their body as appossed to a multi million dollar engine R&D program. The announcers are going to say here comes so and so in a Mustang at the track and more importantly on TV.

Alan, are the announcers going to refrain from calling them the "factory hot rods" in 2018? And Richard brings up a interesting point...with the engines being most likely GM powerplants, what will the announcers say about that?
Will it be "here comes so-and-so in his KB powered; Nick Ferri powered; or Gray Motorsports powered" .... or are they going to explain in detail what each car has and why?

If NHRA doesn't allow swapping engine brands in Pro Stock there's no chance anyone runs anything else. At least now hopefully there will be other cars on the track. Alan

That being said, what really wins the race? The Ford (or Dodge) body panels or the Chevy engine? What gets the credit for the most wins? The body or the engine?

Top end interviews should be interesting when a racer says that his Ford, no, I mean Chevy, just beat the other car.

KB Racing was the team most hurt by the 10,500 because they were the team revving the highest that had to make the biggest adjustment.

Alan

But apparently Chevy had a bigger horsepower window than the Hemi. Looks like the NHRA knew exactly what the HP windows were when they set the RPM limit (i.e., why did they pick 10,500?). But then maybe it was just a coincidence. Yeah, right.

Just thinkin' out loud.

But apparently Chevy had a bigger horsepower window than the Hemi. Looks like the NHRA knew exactly what the HP windows were when they set the RPM limit (i.e., why did they pick 10,500?). But then maybe it was just a coincidence. Yeah, right.
Just thinkin' out loud.

John,

How long have you followed Pro Stock? I'm guessing it's been a while. Go back in time a few years and when 10,500 was as fast any any Pro Stock engine was turning the Dodges were as competitive as any other brand. So, why now is it a bigger penalty for them than the others? To listen to some of you guys, the engines were never able to compete without being over 11,000 when the truth is they were very much so before the RPM climbed to where it was in 2015.

Also, speaking of 2015 (the last year before the change) Dodge won exactly two races out of 24 in the 2015 season. So please tell me what would prompt NHRA to decide they must be punished. Are you arguing that because Dodge won two races they had to be stopped?

Alan

Just thinkin' out loud.

I say adjust the rpm limit to 13,000 and let KB racing have total domination again. You could allow only the hemi to run what ever rpm they need to be competitive so MOPAR will come back and more cars will hit the track like it was back in.....wait when were there a lot of MOPARS in PS? Yeah right.

Ha, ha, a lot and competitive are two very different things. You only need one car to be dominate, MOPAR has always been competitive and won a proportional amount of races.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back