On any given Sunday (1 Viewer)

clwill

Nitro Member
So, all you armchair crew chiefs, I'm looking for some race analysis / opinions on Phoenix. Why do you think three people who are not "the usual suspects" won this weekend?

After all, it wasn't a Force car in F/C, or Tony Schumacher in T/F, or the Greggy/Jeggy show in P/S. Sure Jack could be considered part of a major team, but he's certainly not the lead dog in that hunt... So why? I can think of a bunch of possible reasons:

- It was a tricky track (as usual there) and they didn't have but two shots to get used to it
- Too many rule changes what with 90%, and the new chassis, and...
- Some of the King Tuners (AJ, Austin, Prock) just "off their game"

Or is it what they used to call in the NFL the "on any given Sunday" effect. That is, is the parity in NHRA is so matched, and the variables that go into winning so many, that on any given Sunday, any team can beat any other team?

What do you think?

1) V's hooking the HP he has and was chopping down the tree all day.
2) Can't call Jack a surprise winner, nor can you call Dixon jr a surprise. Grubby in the T/F final also wasn't a surprise, when you look at testing times last month.
3) Spread in flopper is about a tenth top to bottom, T/F is about the same, P/S is even tighter (.63 to .70 in qual)
4) No one is running away and hiding.
5) If you're in, you can win.

just my buck ninety five worth

d'kid

I wouldn't exactly say that Jimmy Prock is off his game right now!:cool:

As far as Jeggie, let's just say that V. Gaines is now as good as his crew!;)

So, all you armchair crew chiefs, I'm looking for some race analysis / opinions on Phoenix. Why do you think three people who are not "the usual suspects" won this weekend?

After all, it wasn't a Force car in F/C, or Tony Schumacher in T/F, or the Greggy/Jeggy show in P/S. Sure Jack could be considered part of a major team, but he's certainly not the lead dog in that hunt... So why? I can think of a bunch of possible reasons:

- It was a tricky track (as usual there) and they didn't have but two shots to get used to it
- Too many rule changes what with 90%, and the new chassis, and...
- Some of the King Tuners (AJ, Austin, Prock) just "off their game"

Or is it what they used to call in the NFL the "on any given Sunday" effect. That is, is the parity in NHRA is so matched, and the variables that go into winning so many, that on any given Sunday, any team can beat any other team?

What do you think?

Track was a bit tricky, it seemed some could not move 10 feet, while others ran real well.

Shoe ran good, .54 then had a boomer, but came right back and ran .52 but lost to a .53. Nothing wrong there, just didnt win.

Force ran good, made 3 solid passes, and ran good enough to win half the rounds, just not the one he was in. He was in it untill the motor gave up the ghost. How often does Kalitta run 2nd best ET of first round?

V Gaines deal was great, I think he just ran the right car at the right time. He ran good, but paired with his lights, he was as good as anybody. It looked to me the cars ethier ran good, or didnt at all. Narrow window. Look at KJ.

Prock/Hight had low ET of every round leading up to the final, Hight left on every body, and I would have bet the farm they would have won the final. Beckman knew they probably could not run a .76 or even an .80 as Hight did, but they played the right cards, set it up the same, and if Robert runs better, they can have it, or they slip up, it's ours. I cant imagine the AAA group was trying to run any better then what they did in the semi's, but things just didn't go their way. Still learing.

I was pleased with the weekend - except for the poor fans who may have gotten screwed on Friday by the weather. It's kind of refreshing to see some "new" names deep into eliminations. "Any Given Sunday" couldn't be a more true addage. Even after just 2 miles of racing in the books, nobody out there is giving an inch, and nobody is underestimating anyone or assuming anything. When you start doing that, that's a surefire way to have your pit area cleaned & all packed up on Sunday afternoon.

Track was a bit tricky, it seemed some could not move 10 feet, while others ran real well.

Shoe ran good, .54 then had a boomer, but came right back and ran .52 but lost to a .53. Nothing wrong there, just didnt win.

Force ran good, made 3 solid passes, and ran good enough to win half the rounds, just not the one he was in. He was in it untill the motor gave up the ghost. How often does Kalitta run 2nd best ET of first round?

V Gaines deal was great, I think he just ran the right car at the right time. He ran good, but paired with his lights, he was as good as anybody. It looked to me the cars ethier ran good, or didnt at all. Narrow window. Look at KJ.

Prock/Hight had low ET of every round leading up to the final, Hight left on every body, and I would have bet the farm they would have won the final. Beckman knew they probably could not run a .76 or even an .80 as Hight did, but they played the right cards, set it up the same, and if Robert runs better, they can have it, or they slip up, it's ours. I cant imagine the AAA group was trying to run any better then what they did in the semi's, but things just didn't go their way. Still learing.

What he said. The Sarge/Dixon semis and the Jeggy/V semis could have went either way really.

Those three made the fewest mistakes. With so many good racers out there it can go either way on every run. A little luck now and then doesn't hurt either.

I think the changes in nitro have leveled the playing field there for now...everyone is still experimenting and nobody has it totally figured out. Sometimes the usual suspects look brilliant, and sometimes they miss which makes for exciting racing. I'm not sure how long this will last but I think we'll see this cycle repeat once they get into the warm weather.

In P/S it was V's day. And it was heartwarming to watch unfold. But I also wouldn't say it was something totally unexpected. I think everyone in the pits looks at him as someone who could win at anytime.

Those three made the fewest mistakes. With so many good racers out there it can go either way on every run. A little luck now and then doesn't hurt either.

Bingo!! I could not have said it better! How are you doing Reinhard I haven't seen you online lately? I hope you and the family are doing well.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back