NHRA will allow any engine in any chassis for 2018 (2 Viewers)

Man I can’t believe the overreaction to this. Ever thought of giving it a chance? When are we going to realize it’s not 1970,80, or 90 anymore? Yeah just like in the Fuel classes, NHRA let things get out of hand. But lets face it, Racing is its own worst enemy. PS is 48 years old! It’s never going to be like it was, but it doesn’t mean it should go away. Maybe the coolness of the engine matching the body is gone forever, but the coolness of seeing what can be done with a fuel injected, 500inch engine on gas is still there. Oh and by the way, we DO get to enjoy the huge crop of factory race cars out there in the Stock and SS classes as well!

Man I can’t believe the overreaction to this. Ever thought of giving it a chance? When are we going to realize it’s not 1970,80, or 90 anymore? Yeah just like in the Fuel classes, NHRA let things get out of hand. But lets face it, Racing is its own worst enemy. PS is 48 years old! It’s never going to be like it was, but it doesn’t mean it should go away. Maybe the coolness of the engine matching the body is gone forever, but the coolness of seeing what can be done with a fuel injected, 500inch engine on gas is still there. Oh and by the way, we DO get to enjoy the huge crop of factory race cars out there in the Stock and SS classes as well!

Speaking for myself, the fact that it's not 1970, 80 or 90 anymore has nothing to do with it. Pro Stock was a factory based class, that's why it's called what it's called. And it doesn't need to be 1970, 80 or 90 anymore to get it back those roots and keep it that way. The factories have some pretty cool sh!t running in Super Stock that would be tailor-made for Pro Stock to return to its roots. I won't argue that the class may never be like it was, and while you say that it doesn't mean it should go away, I say it also doesn't mean that the less than handful of wealthy playmates should be continually catered to.

There is no part of me that will believe in the least that the factories welcomed this change, and I don't care if Moses himself beamed down and told me that's how it was.

Sean D

I think this is a good decision, and obviously the racers do also. I want to see some other body styles instead of just the Camaro. It's a step in the right direction. The class is too far gone to be what it once was, it's time to try something.

I have to agree with Sean....I don't expect the class to be like it was in the 70s, 80s, or 90s, but I do expect it to live up to its namesake and be in some manner Stock. Yeah they've strayed a long ways from stock, but keeping brand integrity - which apparently doesn't matter to the owners - DOES matter to the fans. You know, the people who pay to watch them.

Pro stock was the last bastion of brand integrity in the pro classes since the fuel classes were already all Hemis (mostly out of necessity because the Hemi handled the load of nitro best). Without brand purity PS is either fast Super Gas or slow Pro Mod.

If NHRA wants to allow this small group of racers a place to play, fine. But it shouldn't be called "Stock" anything, and it shouldn't be a pro class that we are forced to watch (or FF through on DVR ;)). If this was a move to appease Pro Stock owners it may be a win...... but if it was intended to increase fan appeal I'm calling it an epic fail. Watch the stands this year.....

Last edited:
A poll of current drivers holds no importance for me. I’d like to see what long time fans (you know, the people who pay to watch the races) have to say about this latest brainfart.

From what I've read the current teams were the ones that wanted this. NHRA gave them what they wanted so how can they be the bad guys. The (insert first letter)DRA associations have huge attendance and car counts and there is no telling what motor is under the hood of those cars. PS as we knew it was dying. If it gives good close racing and bigger car counts as well as saving the newer guys some cash its a win win. Still the pinnacle of a NA race car. And yes I miss the old days that I grew up with as much as anyone.

Let’s look at the few interviewed:

1) Drew Skillman – already runs a Chevy
2) Shane Gray – already runs a Chevy, and has a huge Chevy engine rental business
3) Vincent Nobile – already runs a Chevy
4) Deric Kramer (whose father I spoke with at Pomona and revealed that this was coming) may from anecdotal evidence deduce that most fans don’t know what's under the hood. He may be right, but it's because the majority of fans are neither regulars at the drags, nor knowledgeable about the technology. Most of the folks here ARE knowledgeable - or at least aware - of what's under the hood, and by responses I'm seeing they absolutely care about brand integrity. And for the record, Deric too will be in a Camaro in 2018.

Are you seeing a pattern here? Bottom line is we all complained about the "all Chevrolet Camaro" class, so NHRA in their infinite wisdom made it officially an all Chevrolet class – no matter what skin the car wears.

My understanding is that any "accepted" engine can be ran in any "accepted" body style. So in other words, a Camaro, Mustang, or Dart. Why not open it to any body style that fits the rules? The 400" NMCA stuff allows any body style and it is interesting to watch.

Its apparently obvious that NHRA is not bring stock body back to PS. So now that they are allowing any motor as long as it is 500 in or less in any make PS body let them use any type of forced air flow, it is used in all manufactured cars in * stock * configuration already. Then you will see the LS, Ford Design and Mopar come back with factory style motors. They are already making huge horse power out of 400 in motors so lets open it up and you will see exciting racing and fans will love it.

Coming next week, the pro stock Car of tomorrow. Better yet, get a Camaro body and add your favorite automotive brand sticker to it.
Let's say Jerry Haas builds the slickest Mustang around that when paired with a Chevy motor, sets the record. Would we see a all Mustang body/Chevy motor class?

Let’s look at the few interviewed:

1) Drew Skillman – already runs a Chevy
2) Shane Gray – already runs a Chevy, and has a huge Chevy engine rental business
3) Vincent Nobile – already runs a Chevy
4) Deric Kramer (whose father I spoke with at Pomona and revealed that this was coming) may from anecdotal evidence deduce that most fans don’t know what's under the hood. He may be right, but it's because the majority of fans are neither regulars at the drags, nor knowledgeable about the technology. Most of the folks here ARE knowledgeable - or at least aware - of what's under the hood, and by responses I'm seeing they absolutely care about brand integrity. And for the record, Deric too will be in a Camaro in 2018. You just made there case. Only a VERY small amount of folks HERE care what is under the hood of PS car and you can tell that by how many are left in the stands when PS come to the line.

Are you seeing a pattern here? Bottom line is we all complained about the "all Chevrolet Camaro" class, so NHRA in their infinite wisdom made it officially an all Chevrolet class – no matter what skin the car wears.

There is no way for the NHRA to win here in everyone's eyes its just one last gasp to make it relevant. You have 3 manufacturers who were iinvolved for many years and 2 of the 3 no longer have any interest in playing in the NHRA sandbox. At least the NHRA is making some effort to encourage different looking cars to participate. I hve been to enough races to know tthat there are a lot of people in the stands who do not know or care whats under the hood just how the cars look. I have been around the sport long enough to remember Chevy funny cars with Chevy engines and even Ford's with Ford motors. Now evey body style of funny car runs a Chrysler developed motor despite what the decals on the valve covers say, but no one seems too overly concerned about it, its all about the show. I too would like to see the same engine and body combination still running but that ship has sailed and there ain't no return trip scheduled anytime soon. I still would like to see a hybrid version of the current factorystock cars become the new pro stock but that would make the countless millionsof dollars of current pro stock equipment and development basically worthless.

It is the only move that will keep any variety in body style. The only way to have matching engine/body combos is factory support and GM is the only factory involved. If you are a die hard Ford guy, no mater how much you spent you would never have a competitive Ford and with the Johnson's retiring a competitive MOPAR is pretty much out of the question moving forward. So, take your pick an all Camaro field or more Fords and MOPARs than ever. I will take the ladder. I also firmly believe this move will actually get more factory involvement. As I have mentioned before, it will be a lot easier to get a factory to help out with cost body as opposed to a full on engine program.

From what I've read the current teams were the ones that wanted this. NHRA gave them what they wanted so how can they be the bad guys. The (insert first letter)DRA associations have huge attendance and car counts and there is no telling what motor is under the hood of those cars. PS as we knew it was dying. If it gives good close racing and bigger car counts as well as saving the newer guys some cash its a win win. Still the pinnacle of a NA race car. And yes I miss the old days that I grew up with as much as anyone.

So all 20 GM teams wanted it, 3 Mopar teams said no and the non existent Ford teams voted how?.............

My understanding is that any "accepted" engine can be ran in any "accepted" body style. So in other words, a Camaro, Mustang, or Dart. Why not open it to any body style that fits the rules? The 400" NMCA stuff allows any body style and it is interesting to watch.

That is what NHRA is saying YOU just have to develop it and submit it for approval by NHRA, then when NHRA says NO you get to start all over. NHRA declined the Challenger submitted by MOPAR so along comes the Dart 4 door FWD wonder

GM Camaro
Ford Mustang
Dodge Challenger- DECLINED

Coming next week, the pro stock Car of tomorrow. Better yet, get a Camaro body and add your favorite automotive brand sticker to it.
Let's say Jerry Haas builds the slickest Mustang around that when paired with a Chevy motor, sets the record. Would we see a all Mustang body/Chevy motor class?

No, NHRA will make them alter the body to create an equal playing field or add weight or make them run a Focus

It is the only move that will keep any variety in body style. The only way to have matching engine/body combos is factory support and GM is the only factory involved. If you are a die hard Ford guy, no mater how much you spent you would never have a competitive Ford and with the Johnson's retiring a competitive MOPAR is pretty much out of the question moving forward. So, take your pick an all Camaro field or more Fords and MOPARs than ever. I will take the ladder. I also firmly believe this move will actually get more factory involvement. As I have mentioned before, it will be a lot easier to get a factory to help out with cost body as opposed to a full on engine program.

But if you are going to run a GM power plant just run a Camaro body, what is the advantage of a GM engine in a Ford or Dodge?
And I do not see manufacturers developing a body for a competitors engine
we will know in a few months now won't we?

Just change the windshield decal to Dodge or Ford, none of the spectators will know just like they can not tell the engines apart.

And I do not see manufacturers developing a body for a competitors engine.
That is exactly right.

This new rule was not made in hopes of enticing the return of Ford or Mopar factory involvement.
It was made to the benefit of builders of the GM PS engine platform, and nobody else.

I wonder if people would feel better if they changed the name of the class from "Pro Stock" to "Pro 500" ???

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back