nhra adds weight to Harleys (1 Viewer)

NHRA needs to make the weight penalties a new system. One that can represent parity. Like any bike that leads qualifying by 500ths or more gets 5 pounds put on (about 200ths taken away.) Develop a system where there is a maximum performance advantage before a weight penalty is added. NHRA needs to be implenting a parity system that can be put into effect after any run. Bottom line, I may not know exactly what I am talking about, but I think it's easy to understand what I mean. (hold the feedback, unless it's actually contributable)

Did I really just read that right? Wow John Force would have been about 300lbs heavier than the other funny cars during the 90's. Same with WJ, Yates, Anderson, Glidden, Edwards, Schumacher, Amato, Cory Mac.... You are saying if anyone works to find an advantage, penalize them and bring them back to the rest of the class. SCCA used to do something similar where every race winner added 5lbs for the next race. Now THAT is unfair. This ain't IROC with equally prepared cars and let the best driver win. It's NHRA Championship Drag Racing. Go Hard or Go Home!

Last edited:
Did I really just read that right? Wow John Force would have been about 300lbs heavier than the other funny cars during the 90's. Same with WJ, Yates, Anderson, Glidden, Edwards, Schumacher, Amato, Cory Mac.... You are saying if anyone works to find an advantage, penalize them and bring them back to the rest of the class. SCCA used to do something similar where every race winner added 5lbs for the next race. Now THAT is unfair.

No I did not say that one bit. You cannot bring TF, FC, and PS into this what so ever. Those classes actually have a pretty equal rulebook where clear advantages come from hardwork with modified parts (that everyone does get to start with the stock version of) and talented tuners. Those classes dont have nearly the same funny issues the PSM have. Go hard or go home yes, but PSM is a class where many go home due to an allowance relaxed parity with an engine combo and bike than no one else has. At least in tf, fc, ps talent and money is the only thing holding most teams back, not an issue of exclusivity and parity

Last edited:
No I did not say that one bit. You cannot bring TF, FC, and PS into this what so ever. Those classes actually have a pretty equal rulebook where clear advantages come from hardwork with modified parts (that everyone does get to start with the stock version of) and talented tuners. Those classes dont have nearly the same funny issues the PSM have.

Okay then John Myers and Dave Schultz should have probably ran with a ton of weight back in the 90s, same with Angelle, Antron, and Matt Hines back in the 00's. You can certainly bring any class that sees one person or team dominate into this.

NHRA needs to make the weight penalties a new system. One that can represent parity. Like any bike that leads qualifying by 500ths or more gets 5 pounds put on (about 200ths taken away.) Develop a system where there is a maximum performance advantage before a weight penalty is added. NHRA needs to be implenting a parity system that can be put into effect after any run. Bottom line, I may not know exactly what I am talking about, but I think it's easy to understand what I mean. (hold the feedback, unless it's actually contributable)

face-palm-demotivational-poster-1233926135.jpg

I knew I was gonna get eaten alive for expressing an opinion once again, it's alright I learned to take it on here. 1. my numbers were an example, I cannot say they were fact and I even pointed it out. 2. 20 pounds is not the answer and will not be the end of this. 3. The NHRA needs to stop taking money from harley and either say to them make the motor and the bike available to everyone (minus the innovation that V&H has done) so it can shut up everyone or cut us a check to flat out sponsor the class and make it HD only or let us approve technology that will let others run better. End parity.

Last edited:
Okay then John Myers and Dave Schultz should have probably ran with a ton of weight back in the 90s, same with Angelle, Antron, and Matt Hines back in the 00's. You can certainly bring any class that sees one person or team dominate into this.

You can't go that far back. The class was not bought back then and that was nothing but true talent and hardwork performing. No matter what V&H accomplishes it means less not because of what they use and how they perfected it, but because there sponsor bought the class and the scales are always tilted in their favor because parity is not strict enough. Weight can't be thrown around under set circumstances, it has to be implemented and adjusted instantly. The bike and the motor are not released and that's why it's going to require the NHRA to sit on the class like a hen with eggs, until the bike and motors, or new development by other teams are approved that can run with it.

The root of the issue is not of weight. It's the whole fargin discrepancy between what HD can run and the rest of the field. It isn't that hard to figure out.

Like Matt said..Lotus vs Mustang.

I think we all agree that parity is the answer. Meanwhile the "patch" as NHRA deems necessary is to ADD weight. Would someone please tell me why you would add weight when adding pounds makes it harder to stop, causes more breakage, and is expensive? I'm thinking the patch should be to pull weight off the rest of the field. No?

It seems to me that Vance and Hines are missing out on a huge moneymaker...if they have exclusive rights to the V-rod Pro Stock Motorcycle, why not develop a leasing program? All the teams that want to race this combination could, Harley would still be the dominant bike in the class, and V-H would make money. Seems like a no brainer to me...:rolleyes:

It seems to me that Vance and Hines are missing out on a huge moneymaker...if they have exclusive rights to the V-rod Pro Stock Motorcycle, why not develop a leasing program? All the teams that want to race this combination could, Harley would still be the dominant bike in the class, and V-H would make money. Seems like a no brainer to me...:rolleyes:

That sounds like a good idea, but I doubt if someone like George Bryce is going to want to lease a motor. He wants to be allowed to flog the combination himself, not be limited by what he's given.

When, and only when, the v-rod is made available to everyone else is when we'll see the true potential of that combination.

Sean D

I think we all agree that parity is the answer. Meanwhile the "patch" as NHRA deems necessary is to ADD weight. Would someone please tell me why you would add weight when adding pounds makes it harder to stop, causes more breakage, and is expensive? I'm thinking the patch should be to pull weight off the rest of the field. No?

Lead is cheaper than unobtainium....;)

Because if it costs the other teams any $$$ at all to remove weight, then you're penalizing the other teams.

It's always easier to add than take away, and I'm sure some of these motorcycles do not have much to take away.

That sounds like a good idea, but I doubt if someone like George Bryce is going to want to lease a motor. He wants to be allowed to flog the combination himself, not be limited by what he's given.

When, and only when, the v-rod is made available to everyone else is when we'll see the true potential of that combination.

Sean D

I didn't say it would make everyone happy...lol..but it would put an end to the exclusivity argument.

Hmmm.........NHRA's solution to the problem is to add weight. Yet another band-aid approach, color me surprised.

20 lbs is 3 to 5 hundredths and maybe 1.7 mph... Guys they were outrunning everyone 6 hundredths down the last 1/8 mile alone... Thats 40 to 50 horsepower. its a slap in the face... They need 20 to 30 cubic inches taken away... Or better yet just run the same style motor we do.. They ran that from 2004 to 2008... they won the championship in 08 with that motor... Run that and if they kick everyone butt with that motor then i will shake there hand until then it like running a lotus against a mustang...

Matt, do the VH H-D run Fuel Injection while everyone else has to run Carbs? If so, would it make much of a difference if everyone was allowed F.I. in addition to NHRA adding weight to the Harleys?

Hmmm.........NHRA's solution to the problem is to add weight. Yet another band-aid approach, color me surprised.

Matt, do the VH H-D run Fuel Injection while everyone else has to run Carbs? If so, would it make much of a difference if everyone was allowed F.I. in addition to NHRA adding weight to the Harleys?

Others can use EFI

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back