NHRA ~Is doing all they can~ Yea Right (2 Viewers)

jpee

Nitro Member
Look at the following article.. look at haw bad NHRA is trying to screw Eddie Krawiec, and Andrew Hines...

NHRA

NHRA has announced changes to the Pro Stock Motorcycle category. For 2013, Harley-Davidson and Buell will both be allowed a maximum 160-cubic-inch displacement (cid) for a 60-degree, two-valve, pushrod engine. Minimum weight for both motorcycles will be set at 625 pounds.

They (NHRA) added 10 lb to the Harley's. Also wont let them run the 4 valve head.. So the engines the they (Hines) has been using all yr won't be allowed to run in the "COUNTDOWN" :mad:

Does this mean Hines has to figure out how to get his 2 valve motor to be competitive in the "Countdown" + the added weight!!

NHRA

The four-valve Harley-Davidson engine combination will no longer be allowed. Suzuki will still have a maximum of 107 cid for a two-valve engine. Minimum weight on the Suzuki will be 595 pounds.

In the interim, NHRA announced a minimum weight increase of 10 pounds for Harley-Davidson competitors in the Pro Stock Motorcycle class.

The new minimum weight for Harley-Davidson motorcycles will be 670 pounds.

It sure looks like NHRA is doing their best to SCREW the Harleys... Imagine having an engine all year, and the 1st week of the "Countdown" your told we're adding weight to your bike... ( OK I can understand that) BUT also they (NHRA) also tells you oh BTW you CANT use the 4 valve heads you have been using ALL YR! .. so now the HD have to deal with added weight, a new engine comb...

Another person ignorant of the rules of the class. :rolleyes:

John, can you please explain to me how the following engine combinations are equal:

1) 160 cubic inches, overhead cams with 4 valves per cylinder
2) 160 cubic inches, pushrods and 2 valves per cylinder

Any moron knows that for the same displacement a 4 valve engine will make a lot more power than a 2 valve engine. Throw in the added weight of the valvetrain components (pushrods, rockers) and it's even more of a difference. Yet, that is exactly what the Buell's have been handicapped with for the past few years since NHRA allowed V&H to run a 4 valve head. How is that even remotely fair?

NHRA never should have approved the 4 valve heads for the Hardley's in the first place. It's blatantly obvious they have a big HP advantage if they can still run those kind of ETs and MPH even with the weight that's been tacked on to their bikes over the past 2 years.

The new engine combos won't take effect until NEXT YEAR. The weight thing is effective right now.

Thanks for correcting me... I'm glad to see that they will be able to run their "current" engine...I suppose the added 10 lb is fair... It will be interesting to see how they (HD) run next yr with the 2 valve engine...

Thanks for correcting me... I'm glad to see that they will be able to run their "current" engine...I suppose the added 10 lb is fair... It will be interesting to see how they (HD) run next yr with the 2 valve engine...
Their 2 valve engines will run just as good as they did a few years ago, before they were given the 4 valve heads: pretty damn good. There was no reason or need for them to be allowed 4 valve heads in the first place, they were already competitive.

IIRC, Harley wanted them to run the 4-valve OHC motors because they wanted the race team to run something similar to what John Q Public can buy at his local Harley dealer. At least that's my understanding of it....

HMMMMMMMMMMM so if Boss Hoss lobbied the NHRA to allow them as a manufactor would they be allowed to run a small or big block chevy. Since John Q public can walk in and order and purchase one ?
:)

HMMMMMMMMMMM so if Boss Hoss lobbied the NHRA to allow them as a manufactor would they be allowed to run a small or big block chevy. Since John Q public can walk in and order and purchase one ?
:)

You know what, that actually sounds pretty neat. :D ;) A Pro Stock boss hoss? Sign me up!

I had to look at the date of John's original post... How was your visit to the Twilight Zone this week JP, as the H-D weight and c.i. thing has been all the blah-blah-blah around here all week? ;)

I had to look at the date of John's original post... How was your visit to the Twilight Zone this week JP, as the H-D weight and c.i. thing has been all the blah-blah-blah around here all week? ;)

:( Yea I've been out of the loop, I just finished putting a new converter in my C6 and went to E Town to test & tune it...

I've been just trying to sort my car out, & most likely posted here too soon without doing my "homework' :(

I'll try to do my homework before I post on something like this....

The good news is my 05 Vette (almost stock) ran 11.75 @ 117 mph :)

John, do you still have your red C4?

You don't know it, but that red C4 of yours as well as Mackey's red C4 had a direct impact on me all the way out here on the West coast.

John, do you still have your red C4?

You don't know it, but that red C4 of yours as well as Mackey's red C4 had a direct impact on me all the way out here on the West coast.

Nope... I was offered deal I "couldn't" refuse back in 2008 for my C4.. he had the $$CA$H in hand... I sold it "On the spot" and started to look for a newer Vette..

Saw an 05 at Kerbeck in NJ .. I called them and was ready to go and buy it right then on the spot.... "BUT"..............

I "asked" the sales man if he would work with me a "little" on the posted price.. & he said Nope the price you see is the price you pay :(

I started to look on the INTERNET, & found the C6 I now have.. it was less expensive than Kerbeck, less miles on it (5600 vs 24,000 at Kerbeck) The one I bought had the Z51 option, and was like new...

I asked the salesman on the phone the same question "Will you work with me a little on the price?"

His reply was.... "I'm here to sell cars, & of course I'll work with you.. I went to Prestige Motors in NJ & bought my car on the spot... & never looked back :)

John, 11.75 is impressive for a C5, or any street car for that matter. How much have you done to it? I had a C4 years ago, I'm chomping at the bit to get a newer one.

John, 11.75 is impressive for a C5, or any street car for that matter. How much have you done to it? I had a C4 years ago, I'm chomping at the bit to get a newer one.

Its a C6 2005 (A4) All that's been done to it is Kooks Headers, Vararam CAI, 2800 Converter, & a Tune by Cartek... I'm planning on a few more "little Tweaks" to see if I can get it to run in the 11.5 Index races...I love racing off a Pro Tree!! :)

4 valves aren't necessarily better. Depends on how much flow you can obtain with 2 valves. PSM Suzukis are allowed a 4-valve combination which none of them are currently running. And I understand NHRA did away with 4 valves, period, for 2013.

For what it's worth, Arana's 2-valve pushrod Buells are qualified 1-2 going into tomorrow's eliminations in Dallas....and the Harleys are still running the 4 valve, OHC engines.

4 valves aren't necessarily better. Depends on how much flow you can obtain with 2 valves. PSM Suzukis are allowed a 4-valve combination which none of them are currently running.
The reason nobody is running a 4 valve is because they'd have to run smaller displacement. If they could run a 4 valve head at the same displacement as as a 2 valve you could bet every team would be running one.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back