What Would Happen to Pro Stock If..... (1 Viewer)

jpee

Nitro Member
What would happen to Pro Stock if NHRA went to rules like they have in Comp Eliminator... i.e. Weight to CI...

Lets say xx of weight per CI.. so if you wanted a lighter car you would have to use a smaller engine, and also permit 4 valve V8 if a owner wanted.. Just keep it to weight to CI.

I remember when (was it Ken Dutweiller (sp) who had a turbo PS car that was .15 quicker than the rest of the field ? It was Illegal the next yr. They (NHRA) could implement some rules such as NO power adder (Turbo, Blower, N2O) just NA motor and weight..

It sure would give the ingenious engine builders a way to show how its done.. As it is now its very close to a "Spec" class.. weight, Ci, head design, piston and Rod weight etc...

Yes it makes for close racing, but why does NHRA factor added weight to a MC (Harley) if its running too fast... but will not remove weight from Ford (Ford is about .15 too slow to even qualify)!

If changing weight for PSM is OK why is it not fair tor PS cars?

Just a few thoughts.. I'm sure NHRA is smarter than me, but I was hoping someone could enlighten me on this just a little.

It was that way in PS from the start, with the fords , gm and chryslers running different weight breaks. Almost weekly? changes and adjustments, guys running 4 door cars, cutting two heads in half and making their own NHRA finally gave up and said 500 inches with this weight - 2300 lbs? Its been fun with GM running corporate engines with much success and now chrysler having caught up and now ford wanting to get back in.

What would happen to Pro Stock if NHRA went to rules like they have in Comp Eliminator... i.e. Weight to CI...

Lets say xx of weight per CI.. so if you wanted a lighter car you would have to use a smaller engine, and also permit 4 valve V8 if a owner wanted.. Just keep it to weight to CI.

I remember when (was it Ken Dutweiller (sp) who had a turbo PS car that was .15 quicker than the rest of the field ? It was Illegal the next yr. They (NHRA) could implement some rules such as NO power adder (Turbo, Blower, N2O) just NA motor and weight..

It sure would give the ingenious engine builders a way to show how its done.. As it is now its very close to a "Spec" class.. weight, Ci, head design, piston and Rod weight etc...

Yes it makes for close racing, but why does NHRA factor added weight to a MC (Harley) if its running too fast... but will not remove weight from Ford (Ford is about .15 too slow to even qualify)!

If changing weight for PSM is OK why is it not fair tor PS cars?

Just a few thoughts.. I'm sure NHRA is smarter than me, but I was hoping someone could enlighten me on this just a little.

You mean like it was before 1982?!?!

It was a nightmare to police as they had different weightbreaks for different makes with different car sizes etc.

I honestly believe that the format they currently have is perfect.

Everyone is on a level playing field. If the manufacturers want their brand to succeed they need to step in with some $$ or technology.

if pro stock went back to pounds per inch it would be just like the pro stock motorcycles all over again with people complaining.

I personally, I like it with the current rules. everyone is in the same boat, and if you want to succeed, get to work.

Just forget it. This didn't work the first time and wouldn't the second time despite what Obama says;) Really Pro Stock is as close to factory replica as Funny Car is. Hardly anything is done in-house. The bodies are morphed carbon fiber. This class has been so debased that stock no longer applies.

Last edited:
Than it would be Comp eliminator, not Pro stock!

OK I agree.. then why so many rules on engine configuration...would it work if it was 2300 LB car with 500" motor.. no power adder.. but if say Ford or GM did come out with 4 valve head it would be legal...

As it is now even the wrist pins have to be a certain weight... Would it cause problems, if NHRA allowed them (Car Co. or engine builders) to use any bore and stroke they wanted as long as it was 500" ?

I enjoy PS more than the Fuel classes (I guess because its such close racing) and my suggestions would only widen the gap from #1 to #16 qualifer...

It was just a thought... :(

Karl said: "PRO STOCK died the day 'someone' stuffed a 331cid mouse inside a birdcage Vega... "
I'd never really thought about it, but that's so true...

I believe that's the most profound and valid analysis of Pro Stock I have ever read!

After that, the "Stock" went out of Pro Stock in bits and pieces for years, until we have this Frankestein's Monster of a car with not a single shred of "STOCK" in it, anywhere.

A car that has a fuel system that is a well-developed antique; cars from Detroit, which this monstrosity is supposed to represent, haven't used carburetors for many a year, but our Pro Stockers soldier on with a carburetor, the basic design of which (Helley 4150) goes back to 1957.

That's FIFTY-TWO YEARS AGO!!!

Jeesh, NHRA, what's up with THAT??????

Electronic fuel injection would allow the demise of the monstrosity hood scoops... That would make them look a LITTLE more like a "real car."

I dunno; I don't understand NHRA's fixation on dictating the design specifications of different brands of motors... OK, bore center spacing, but cylinder head parameters???

Where's the "ingenuity in action"???
Wally probably wouldn't have liked this present setup.

Last edited:
I'd like to see the Pro Stock class go to Fuel Injection (no closed loop systems) but stay NA and since the factory support is barely there anymore like the older days, get the after market involved in a major role instead. The ingenuity of racers and the ability to have the aftermarket prosper from it would be a win win possibly. Just a idea...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back