Pro Stock Inspection (1 Viewer)

jpee

Nitro Member
I posted this question in the "Old Mater" but it was shut down before I ever saw any replys...

My question is... does NHRA still do complete engine tear downs at National Events.. I ask this because I remember 2-3 yrs ago (I Think it was Anderson) had a run DQ'd because the wrist pins were too light...

Can a Pro Stock driver/Owner protest another cars engine & have it torn down at that event..? I remember NHRA pulling Comp Cars apart.. But on a Pro Stock how far will they (NHRA) go at the track.. will they get into weighing wrist pins, rods, valves.. etc... Sure it can be done but what if there is a protest filed on Sat.. Will NHRA let the car run that weekend & inspect it on Monday? Sure thats fine if the car is found to be legal, but what if its illegal & he won..That would be tough on the guys he took out ...especially if they were in the top 3 or so..

I know its easy to P&G a car, but in PS they are WAY to sophisticated to be over the CI it would be something very tough i.e. Wrist pin weight..

John,

I can't speak for NHRA or any P/S Team in regards to teardowns and when they happen and why, but your reference to an incident with light wrist pins was not Greg Anderson, but Mike Edwards at the Winternationals 2005. They tore his engine down after that race was over as I understand, and thats when they found the light wrist pins, so they took away his points for qualifying and for one or two round wins, and fined the team a good bit of money too. It really sucked too as the light wrist pins did not help them, since the combined weight of the rod, piston and wrist pins was underweight for the total assembly, but not in pieces. Mike was in a big hole points wise after that race and never really got on track that year. Was such a shame too, as the Young Life team, of all teams, would NEVER intentionally cheat to win. You can take that statement to the BANK! I understood that rules are rules, and they have to apply equally to all teams, so that's the breaks, but there are always exceptions to the rules, and I thought the fine was punitive and un-called for. Just my .02c and the same went for alot of other 'Maters.

Kurt

I'm in 100% agreement.... & I think you answered my question, basically they (NHRA) won't tear an engine down until AFTER the race on Sunday...

As I recall the wrist pin was light by 3 grams but with the rod and piston was 5-10 grams heavy as an assembly. Is this the same race where the illegal wheel tubs were allowed in?

As I recall the wrist pin was light by 3 grams but with the rod and piston was 5-10 grams heavy as an assembly. Is this the same race where the illegal wheel tubs were allowed in?

Good point.... I'm not sure.. I don't think so...but am NOT sure..

John & Ian,

I believe the illegal wheel tubs incident you are referring to was WJ's car at a prior years Winternationals. Actually I'm not sure it was wheel tubs, but rather the wheel well or body/quarter panel in that area was not to spec, and they let it slide for that race but not the next race in Phoenix. This occurred during qualifying, and they let WJ run on Sunday. That sounds like preferential treatment to me, and I'm a fan of both WJ & KJ, so it didn't make me feel good when it came out in the press.

John & Ian,

I believe the illegal wheel tubs incident you are referring to was WJ's car at a prior years Winternationals. Actually I'm not sure it was wheel tubs, but rather the wheel well or body/quarter panel in that area was not to spec, and they let it slide for that race but not the next race in Phoenix. This occurred during qualifying, and they let WJ run on Sunday. That sounds like preferential treatment to me, and I'm a fan of both WJ & KJ, so it didn't make me feel good when it came out in the press.

No, I seem to remember WJ, madder than a wet hen, furiously reshaping the rear quarters on his car before they'd let him run on race day. He was complaining that NHRA was changing the rules from race to race or something like that.

No, I seem to remember WJ, madder than a wet hen, furiously reshaping the rear quarters on his car before they'd let him run on race day. He was complaining that NHRA was changing the rules from race to race or something like that.

David, right you are. I foggily remember he did attempt to make the necessary changes, just wasn't sure that it was enough. I don't doubt that WJ was madder than heck either.

As I recall the wrist pin was light by 3 grams but with the rod and piston was 5-10 grams heavy as an assembly.

It was 2 gms. When Frankie calibrated his scale, it was off by 2 gms. As far as I know, nothing was ever said about NHRA's scales being checked.

That was a darned shame for everyone involved. No one involved with that car and team would knowingly do anything wrong. Considering that the rest of the assembly was over, one would think they could have taken that into consideration. Surely there was no performance advantage gained by the wrist pin being light by 2 grams when over all the assembly was heavy. But hey! We don't get to make the rules.
:(

The rear quarter panel deal is interesting. It was EVERY Rick Jones car that was made of that body style. Every one failed the inspection, but people only remember WJ. And blamed WJ for purposely cheating. Even though it was every RJ car. WJ took a sledge hammer to the quarter pannel and MADE IT FIT THE TEMPLATE!! It did pass, and so they let him run. Lots of colored duct tape and all! It was fixed properly by RJ after that.
The dimpled and taped sheet-metal was even called an aerodynamic advantage at that event. P-lease!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back