Looking for advice (1 Viewer)

bing

Nitro Member
Hi all, I have pretty much locked in 3 events for 2013, New England, Chicago and Norwalk but after making some mistakes with my first trip I thought I'd put it out there this time and get some much needed advise.

My plan is that I arrive at JFK at 10pm on 19 June and then head up to NH overnite then 4 days at the track and then back to NY for 3 days of sight seeing then fly to Chicago on the 27th and pick up a car and 4 days at the track then drive to Norwalk on July 1 and spend a couple of days at Cedar Point as my 2nd love is coasters and I have wanted to go to CP for a long time then the race and then drive back to JFK and fly home on the 9th at 9pm.

How does this sound? I made alot of mistakes with Pomona and Phoenix this year and dont want to make them again!

How do I get from JFK to NH? I will not sleep on the flight so will be pretty stuffed so dont really want to drive and if I do I will get there in the early AM and cannot check in til later so am I better getting a hotel around JFK and get some sleep and drive the next morning or is there an o/nite bus or train that will get me there? I am not real sure how I will go driving on the wrong side of the road, especially after 24 hours on a plane and being in a place like New York.

Once in NH where should I stay keeping in mind I want to be close to the track? Will I need a car or is there other ways to get to the track?

Then where should I stay in NY? I want to do as much as I can with the main things being ground zero, times square and a helicopter ride to see everything from above. I looked at staying near times square but the rates are just crazy.

then where should I stay at Chicago? Again I am just there for the race but I have 4 days to get to Norwalk and do CP so if there is any 'cant miss' things I should see in Chicago I could hang back a day or so to do them.

I figure for Norwalk I should just stay at one of the CP resorts as it seems pretty close to the track also.

I am open to suggestions but I want to lock it all in and book pretty soon as they have pretty good deals on flights from Australia right now.

I would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Wish I could do Thunder Valley the week before but I dont think the budget will stretch that far and the main reason I picked this time of year is to go to CP and also be there for 4th July which will be amazing.

Hi all, I have pretty much locked in 3 events for 2013, New England, Chicago and Norwalk but after making some mistakes with my first trip I thought I'd put it out there this time and get some much needed advise.

My plan is that I arrive at JFK at 10pm on 19 June and then head up to NH overnite then 4 days at the track and then back to NY for 3 days of sight seeing then fly to Chicago on the 27th and pick up a car and 4 days at the track then drive to Norwalk on July 1 and spend a couple of days at Cedar Point as my 2nd love is coasters and I have wanted to go to CP for a long time then the race and then drive back to JFK and fly home on the 9th at 9pm.

How does this sound? I made alot of mistakes with Pomona and Phoenix this year and dont want to make them again!

How do I get from JFK to NH? I will not sleep on the flight so will be pretty stuffed so dont really want to drive and if I do I will get there in the early AM and cannot check in til later so am I better getting a hotel around JFK and get some sleep and drive the next morning or is there an o/nite bus or train that will get me there? I am not real sure how I will go driving on the wrong side of the road, especially after 24 hours on a plane and being in a place like New York.

Once in NH where should I stay keeping in mind I want to be close to the track? Will I need a car or is there other ways to get to the track?

Then where should I stay in NY? I want to do as much as I can with the main things being ground zero, times square and a helicopter ride to see everything from above. I looked at staying near times square but the rates are just crazy.

then where should I stay at Chicago? Again I am just there for the race but I have 4 days to get to Norwalk and do CP so if there is any 'cant miss' things I should see in Chicago I could hang back a day or so to do them.

I figure for Norwalk I should just stay at one of the CP resorts as it seems pretty close to the track also.

I am open to suggestions but I want to lock it all in and book pretty soon as they have pretty good deals on flights from Australia right now.

I would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Wish I could do Thunder Valley the week before but I dont think the budget will stretch that far and the main reason I picked this time of year is to go to CP and also be there for 4th July which will be amazing.

Manchester NH would be the best and logical place to stay. Its about 20minutes west of Epping and they are basically on the same road (rt101).
If you don't want to drive from NY, there is a regional airport that has shuttle flights to the three NY area airports and they have rentals there. It's also a lot quicker to get there than 4hrs of driving.

Good luck!

I had considered Epping cause it's a great market, but Airfares are STUPID expensive! Plus they aren't running the Alcohol cars, Chicago will be a much better race with the Jegs all stars! The best Sportsman racers in the Country will be there!

Darren, for the Norwalk race a good place to stay is at the Kalahari in Sandusky Oh. It's America's largest indoor Waterpark Resort. It is a short distance from the track and a lot of the teams stay there. But even if you don't stay there, you can still buy a day pass for the Waterpark. They have 2 indoor bars, and an outdoor bar by the pool, and they have a lot of good restaurants and snack bars. Make sure you stop by our trailer and say hi. Here is a link for the Kalahari.
Ohio - Kalahari Resorts

Last edited:
I agree with Eugene on staying a Kalahari. We took the rig the CP's RV park this year to hang out between two divisional races in Ohio/Michigan ... Top Thrill is great but Millennium Force is my favorite. We spent the extra dough for the multipark pass (waterpark next door to CP), but spent all our time at CP on the coasters. If you want to ride a bunch of rides, pay for the FastPass .... basically doubles the daily ticket price, but knocks the wait for rides down big time (top thrill and millennium force will each have 30 to 45 mins lines alot of the time, but the fastpass cuts that down to maybe 10 mins max)

We plan to run the Norwalk national, so if you are slumming in the sportsman pits look for a mirrored liftgate with BRNRBR as its license plate and say hi.

I would generally advise against having a rental car while you are hanging out in Manhattan proper. Paying for parking is ridiculous, and it is no place any normal person should be driving. Take cabs until you leave the city.

What is your nightly hotel budget in NYC? Given some guidance I might be able to give some suggestions.

If you drive to Epping you might also have some pretty good sightseeing on the way there. Further, there are some local B&B's that are pretty neat.

Sounds like a great trip. Do put Thunder Valley on your list one day.

NYC to Epping is longer than 4 hours-probably closer to 5 -5 1/2.
I would get your rental car + drive to Ct. on rt 95. Anywhere from 1/2hour to 2 hours (about how long you'll be going thru CT.) there will be hotels off pretty much every exit--WAY cheaper than the city.

NYC to Epping is longer than 4 hours-probably closer to 5 -5 1/2.
I would get your rental car + drive to Ct. on rt 95. Anywhere from 1/2hour to 2 hours (about how long you'll be going thru CT.) there will be hotels off pretty much every exit--WAY cheaper than the city.

I guess I just drive faster then :p

Darren:

There is a small bus (very comfortable) that leaves daily from New York Port Authority at 1:30 PM and arrives in Portsmouth NH at 6:30 PM. Portsmouth is 17 miles from New England Dragway and has a lot of hotels. Exeter NH is 5 miles from the track and has a few hotels also.

You would need a car unless you could arrange a ride to the track with other race fans or crew staying in the area of your hotel.

I am sure various forms of public transportation exist from JFK to the Port Authority.

Ed

Getting around NYC is best done with the subway. I lived there 50 years and worked in the subways for 14 years.
Forget public transportation in NH.
Public transportation from JFK stinks. Look into it BEFORE going there. You might wind up with an expensive cab ride. There was the JFK express. A bus to a subway that took you to Manhattan. The transit authority abandoned that good idea. You would be on your own getting to Howard Beach in Queens to get that train. No longer a special train, just the gritty A train.
NYC is not a civilized place in many ways.
Go to NH and Cedar Point.
NYC and Chicago can be unamusing.

Last edited:
NYC to NH is a looooong drive after getting off a plane. Especially at night when you might get lost in Queens and end up very tired and unhappy. There are hotels near the airport in Queens and brooklyn that will pick you up with a shuttle bus that will be much cheaper than staying in manhattan. If there is a bus that goes from the port authority to NH as someone has said i think that would be much cheaper than renting a car in NY. then rent your car in NH.there is a good cheap bus from the airport to port authority. i think its 12 or $15. runs every 15 mins or 1/2 hr.
New York Airport Shuttle Bus Service | JFK | LaGuardia | Newark Airport
when you are ready to stay in NYC DO NOT stay in times sq or mid town manhattan. hotels in NYC are expensive but find a small hotel in one of the neighborhoods like Murray Hill where i live. they are alot cheaper and you can easily get to Ground zero or anywhere else you want to go. also wkends are cheaper in hotel so plan for that. PM me if i can help

NYC to NH is a LONGGG bus ride. I have done it. Spending the night in NY before driving there would be a good idea. Don't stay in a Times Square or midtown hotel.Don't park a car there. Don't expect to park a car in Manhattan at all. NYC is a place of pain and paying.

Darren,

Traveling the US is a very diversified experience. Don't be in a hurry and enjoy the personalities of the people and down home flavor in each area.

In NYC, a lot of the people are like Norman, opinionated, brusque and pissed off at the world. Accept them as they are and then enjoy the ones that are happy with their lot in life. Public transportation is abundant in NYC, but I enjoyed the contest of driving there. I did make sure I was driving a fully insured rental car and then I just competed for my part of the road with the taxi's and locals. You can always rent a room from Barry and let him show you around.

If you drive to NH, on your way stop in at Brown's Lobster Pound on the water in Seabrook, NH for a great seafood experience. The family Brown who have owned it forever, are relatives of my wife. Mention my name and you may get a discount, or it could end up costing you more. Either way, the lobster and seafood are very fresh and tasty.

While in Chicago, get an invite to John Lawson's house just down the way from the track. He usually has a get together during the event which is fun, and his vast collection of memorbilia is really neat.

Cedar Point is tremendous fun, especially for roller coaster fanatics. While in the area you might check out an Amish community, just for a contrast to the big city folk in Chicago and NYC.

Put Thunder Valley on your schedule if you can. That way you will get to experience the friendly down home folk of the south. Plus it is a great racing venue.

Darren:

The bus I mentioned is at C&J: Connecting UNH/Durham, Dover, Portsmouth and Newburyport to Logan Airport, Boston South Station and New York City. I make the trip from NH to NYC about once a month and this bus is faster than I could drive it, takes about 5 hours but is very comfortable, it has a bathroom, free wi-fi, free snacks. it cost $75 each way. There are car rental agencies in Portsmouth NH that could arrange a car upon arrival.

I learned to drive in the City, but I never attempt it now, I really like roaming NYC by subway or walking but never drive anywhere near there.

I live about 12 miles from New England Dragway (and just up the road from Brown's Lobster Pound), PM me if I can be of any further help. Hope you have a great trip to the States.

Ed

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. I figure its time to break it down a bit and take it one part at a time. The flight I am looking at gets into JFK at 10 pm on the Wednesday so a night in NYC is a must and it seems like the bus will be the best option that way I can get my head around being on the other side of the planet again. Looking at the bus schedule it leaves at 1.30 and arrives at 6.30 which means I miss out on the Thursday at the track but am I right in saying the pros wont run until Friday?

So my question is can anyone recommend a hotel right where the bus leaves in NYC? I want to make it as simple as possible as if its anything like when I landed at LAX I will be jetlagged and excited and will be in a total state of confusion.

Virgil, I think I might take your recommendation as I am a sucker for some good seafood but do it on the way back to NYC as I might drive and take in some of the scenery. Also please tell me more about John Lawsons place in Chicago, it sounds like a must! how do I get an invite?

If it helps Jet Blue airlines is opening their schedule to further bookings Sunday Noon eastern US time from June 20th until Sept 3rd. As of now you can only book up until June 19. You could stay near JFK that nioght and fly in to either Boston or Portland ME the next day (makes sure you choose Portland ME, not the other Portland). Both flight are about one hour and are both about just over one hour drives to Epping. When they open their sched their flights are usually the cheapest so you should act quick. Currently on June 19th the cheapest flight is about $85 from JFK to Bos, so you can use that as a guide for the 20th.

Hope it helps

Last edited:
Living in So-Cal, we have two big show races, and the best in retro racing, as well as Sears Point big show, and Vegas within driving distance, plenty of drag racing to get involved with.

I don't envy anyone who live on the Right Coast when traveling, why not just buy a little high MPG car drive slow see the sights, not as much monkey buisness and you get to keep the new car.

We got stuck for an Hour and a Half in the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland last night. That was enough drama for me for a while.

We got stuck for an Hour and a Half in the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland last night. That was enough drama for me for a while.

Wow! While I feel your pain, all I can say was at least it wasn't "It's a Small World". I'd be suicidal after that :)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back