Pomona Advice (1 Viewer)

John Smillie

Nitro Member
Hi everyone!

Thinking about making the trip to Pomona from Canada in November. Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations regarding hotels really close to the track? I’ve heard it’s best to fly into Ontario Airport, is that right?

Would love to get to Pomona on Thursday and visit the NHRA Museum and then catch Fri and Sat qualifying before flying back on Sunday.

Any insight is much appreciated! Thanks!!

Hi everyone!

Thinking about making the trip to Pomona from Canada in November. Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations regarding hotels really close to the track? I’ve heard it’s best to fly into Ontario Airport, is that right?

Would love to get to Pomona on Thursday and visit the NHRA Museum and then catch Fri and Sat qualifying before flying back on Sunday.

We went in 2014. Flew from Prince George to Vancouver, then to LAX. We got a good deal at that time. We never looked into Ontario. We rented a car at the LAX rental area. My GPS said it was 30 minutes to our hotel, but the famous LA traffic made it a 2 hour drive in rush hour. Same on the way back.
We stayed in SanDimas which is awesome. I would highly recommend that town as it was always a really quick drive to the track, and back to the hotel. Several good restaurants there too. We stayed at the Motel 6, but there are several better choices in the same area. I also went in 1986 and stayed in SanDimas.
And yes, make sure you go to the museum. And it used to be free if you have race tickets.
Also, there was a sports pub through a gate from the Pro Pits (the Derby Room ?) that is excellent to go to after a race day (but check on the gate hours so you can get back in to go to your car).
Have fun. It is a great event and well worth the trip, even at the present currency exchange!

Hi everyone!

Went in 2018. Got some great advice from Slow Bob. Flew into Ontario. Super easy. Rented a car and stayed at Quality Inn on N Vinyard there in Ontario. It is right across the street from an In N Out burger shop. Easy drive to track and back. Loved every minute of it.

Attachments

• 2018.jpg
    2018.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 26
Speaking as a local, fly into Ontario, get your car there. Lots of eating and hotel options around the airport and across the freeway at Ontario Mills. North and northwest of the track on the towns of LaVerne and San Dimas. Cool little towns with many options for eating and sleeping. Cruise down Rt. 66 to Glendora for more good eats and an amazing donut shop. (Mr. Donut and strawberry filled glazed donuts.)Less likely to be big crowds in NHRA's old headquarters town and tons of options to eat and sleep. Get real deal taco stand food at El Merendero (about 70' from the tower). In N Out is now available at the track. You HAVE to go to the museum. It is startlingly cool to walk in the front door and see what is on display. The main parking lot is a total rip off, but no other easy option exists. Make sure and walk the sportsman pits. Best car show on the planet.

Hi everyone!

How close? Really close? The $heraton is a few feet away.
The Lemon Tree Motel is down the street. But I cannot vouch for it's *ahem* comfort, cleanliness, security, or reputation. There are some other ones a few exits east in Montclair.
We went in 2014. Flew from Prince George to Vancouver, then to LAX. We got a good deal at that time. We never looked into Ontario. We rented a car at the LAX rental area. My GPS said it was 30 minutes to our hotel, but the famous LA traffic made it a 2 hour drive in rush hour. Same on the way back.
We stayed in SanDimas which is awesome. I would highly recommend that town as it was always a really quick drive to the track, and back to the hotel. Several good restaurants there too. We stayed at the Motel 6, but there are several better choices in the same area. I also went in 1986 and stayed in SanDimas.
And yes, make sure you go to the museum. And it used to be free if you have race tickets.
Also, there was a sports pub through a gate from the Pro Pits (the Derby Room ?) that is excellent to go to after a race day (but check on the gate hours so you can get back in to go to your car).
Have fun. It is a great event and well worth the trip, even at the present currency exchange!

San Dimas is nice because it's small. quiet, clean, and no need to get on a freeway to get to it. Short easy drive on surface streets. You will see race teams/crews having dinner in some of the restaurants there. Small town.
The sports pub mentioned is The Finish Line Sports Grill and if memory serves, Del Worsham's funny car body that flipped over in the sand trap and then over the fence is hanging on the wall in there.
Went in 2018. Got some great advice from Slow Bob. Flew into Ontario. Super easy. Rented a car and stayed at Quality Inn on N Vinyard there in Ontario. It is right across the street from an In N Out burger shop. Easy drive to track and back. Loved every minute of it.
That In N' Out was raized and it is a dirt lot under construction. That whole highway interchange/on/off ramp area is under construction and is really bad/rough road. I usually stay at that Airport Inn on Vineyard right there but it is a drive from the track!
Speaking as a local, fly into Ontario, get your car there. Lots of eating and hotel options around the airport and across the freeway at Ontario Mills. North and northwest of the track on the towns of LaVerne and San Dimas. Cool little towns with many options for eating and sleeping. Cruise down Rt. 66 to Glendora for more good eats and an amazing donut shop. (Mr. Donut and strawberry filled glazed donuts.)Less likely to be big crowds in NHRA's old headquarters town and tons of options to eat and sleep. Get real deal taco stand food at El Merendero (about 70' from the tower). In N Out is now available at the track. You HAVE to go to the museum. It is startlingly cool to walk in the front door and see what is on display. The main parking lot is a total rip off, but no other easy option exists. Make sure and walk the sportsman pits. Best car show on the planet.
Mr. Donut only has those fruit-filled donuts in Summer season.
I can vouch for El Merendero breakfast burritos.
The museum has Night Of Champions on Friday nights around 6pm or thereabouts. If you're willing to give up seeing sportsman racing, you can sit in on a cool discussion/interview with guest panelists. Well worth it.
Parking was $17 at the Fairplex last time I went. Credit card only; No cash accepted.
There are 2 sportsman pits, alcohol pits behind the pros and on the other side of the property, the rest. It really is an enjoyable stroll checking out all the comp, super stock, S/G S/C car over there.

Last edited:
As mentioned above, Fairplex Sheraton is most convenient. You can park in their lot (not free for hotel guests anymore) and then short walk to museum where you can catch free shuttle to the races. It's pricey though.

Thanks everyone! The Sheraton sounds like the easy route but it’s booked!! Should we not rent a car, is Uber and Lyft readily available in that area?

If you were to Uber, you would be dropped off and picked up at the Arrow Highway entrance. But be warned, Arrow Highway is very congested with traffic during the events because LaVerne sets up traffic cones and construction cones to route traffic to flow West to the traffic light. You can't turn left at the actual track entrance. They make you go make a U-turn at the Fairplex Dr /Arrow Hwy traffic light and come back east to the entrance. It can take a very long time to do that. It's crazy.
That's the shortest walk. I *think* you can be let in at those entrances or the entrance next to the pro-stock pits or the gate on White Avenue. I know I've seen people go in and out of those and security guards always check/scan tickets there. But I'm not sure if they are spectator tickets or participant tickets that they allow.

If you were to get dropped off at the main spectator entrance, it wouldn't be where everyone goes, it would be at the exit facing the golf course and it would be a very long walk.

For motels, I know there are a couple at Indian Hill at the 10 Fwy.

I got a good deal at the Doubletree at the Ontario airport last time I went. Rental car drop off at that airport was super-easy too. (Don’t know about rental car pickup - I had to fly into Burbank to get a low fare).

I would just rent a car at Ontario Airport. Uber will be more expensive for three days going back and forth. Turo is a great app to get a car. It's all we use now.

The San Dimas area has several decent hotels and restaurants to choose from. I flew in and out of Lax when I went. With traffic down I-10, do yourself a favor and fly into Ontario. It's a lot easier

Hi everyone!

Ontario is really close to the track, but I always had issues with flight schedule times out of Chicago to ONT. So LAX was always the better option for me. LAX is also a hub for United & American Airlines. I had very little issues with traffic when landing at LAX after 7:30pm and leaving LAX after 9pm. So shop around for what's best for you. 👍🏿

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back