First time to Pomona (1 Viewer)

Come by the cacklefest corral area, I'm there Friday, Saturday and Sunday running the Muldowney top fuel dragster with Dave Mandella and Family.

And hanging out at the museum Saturday night with the likes of TV Tommy Ivo, Tom The Mongoose McEwen, Corey Lee and other usual suspects.

On Parking go to the Pit parking area its 20 bucks but well worth it. if you don't do reserve seat go to the 1000 ft pit side stands, very good view, and the big TV is right across from you on the other side of the track.

Last edited:
Park at the museum spend some time there and then take the tram to the track. And then take it back after the race. This is the absolute best way to park at pomona. Ive done it twice and never saw a bit of traffic. And yes el merendero for dinner after the race. You will see many drivers and crew there. Have a great time!!!

That's fantastic Mark! Last year was my first Pomona and it was amazing. El Merendero, the Museum, planes flying over the track, Mt. Baldy, the Finish Line bar just outside the track gates, and especially In-and-Out.

Stop by the Johnny Ahten TAD pits and say hi!

Sunday after the race we do the huge cacklefest in the corral area, I will be carrying on a tradition set forth by My pal the Late Scott (Eddie Kalledy) Kalitta we will toast the season with a bottle of Hennessy cognac, stop by Mark and do a shot with Me.

two years ago I took a customer and his kids , did a tailgate for them like I do in Joliet ,BUT preferred parking and tailgate parking lot was 50 bucks . and half way through the day the parking management came and shut us down as you can't use charcoal or wood gas only so be warned , we also hung out Saturday nite and visited with the various teams we know, and it was a good experience over all will do it again. Pomona is the holy grail of California Drag racing .

Do get over to see the museum on the fairplex ground ,

Enjoy the trip

thanks for all the tips...looks like El Merendero is not far from our hotel, so it should be easy to hit up.

So here's how I made it to Pomona this year; my oldest son (11 years old) was in martial arts for several years, and I promised him that if he stuck to it and got his black belt, I'd take him to ANY drag race on the schedule (of all forms of motorsports, drag racing is by FAR his favorite...I've raised him well). Well, we live in North Carolina, zmax (yeah I know 4 wide sucks) is our home track, so I figured he'd want to go to a race within 1000 miles or so from here, like the US nationals, cause that was what he had always talked about. Labor day weekend, we could fly direct, etc. He finally gets his black belt, and he picks Pomona 2. Well, I made a promise, and I'm gonna keep it....so my bonus this year went to this little excursion (and my very understanding wife was OK with it....she said you made a promise, I have to stick to it).

So be careful what you promise. But I'm not that disappointed because.....I'm still getting to go to Pomona!

I must be spoiled here in New Mexico, cause there is an El Merendero on every corner here! Eatin there twice, good food but not the Best Mexican food Ive tasted!

I must be spoiled here in New Mexico, cause there is an El Merendero on every corner here! Eatin there twice, good food but not the Best Mexican food Ive tasted!
I spent Sat night in Albuquerque, Joe, I thought i smelled Mexican food. Now, i'm back out here in beautiful sunny southern Ca, and i still smell Mexican food.:D

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions and help, my son and I have had a blast so far. Alan, we even saw you riding around this morning, but I didn't want to bug you, you looked like you were in a hurry :).

We're on the west side stands today, man these are CLOSE to the track.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back