Going to Pomona for the first time, any tips? (1 Viewer)

Chili

Nitro Member
After years of wanting to go, finally going to go to Pomona for the Winternationals. Unfortunately flying into LAX which I hear can be horrible. Only cost $82 round trip so I really can't complain.
Is the traffic getting into the track any worse than any other track?
Do they let you bring anything into the track? Cooler, snacks etc. ?
Which lot is the best to park in?
Is there a specific side or section which sit in? I considered TE but have a hard time coughing up the dough.
Anything else I need to visit or eat it while in town?

Thanks for the advice!

You can bring in a small cooler with snacks and drinks. No glass.
You will be forced to park where they direct you. Bring $12 cash to park.
If you have general admission you will sit about 3/4 track. Not the best and you get the rowdy people who stand up to block your view every single run (in my experience). I like the pit side stands because everything is close (bathrooms, food, beer and pits).
BRING SUN BLOCK and ear protection, you don't want to have to buy that stuff there.
Breakfast at Bravo Burgers (1215 N. White Ave. Pomona) is a must.
Have Fun!

I agree with the pit side seat recommendation. It's been a few years since I've stayed at Ontario Airport Inn, but it was a good deal then. And the food and drinks at El Pescador (636 N Euclid Ave, Ontario, a couple miles west of the Inn), were delicious!

At Bravo Burger I recommend the Colossal Burger (Burger with a pile of Pastrami mixed in) with a bag of Onion rings and an order of Fried Zucchini on the side with Ranch Dressing for dipping.

Their breakfast plates are plentiful and good.

The Mexican place behind the starting line have a good breakfast also, but their combination burritos are the best.

Pinnacle Peak's on Foothill in San Dimas for steaks or the Northwoods Inn on Azusa Ave in Covina for a bountiful great meal.

The Mexican place behind the starting line have a good breakfast also, but their combination burritos are the best.

El Merendero Restaurant  

$$ · Mexican Restaurant · Bonita
Walk-up Mexican eatery with outdoor tables & a menu of classics like enchiladas & burritos.
Address: 1910 Fairplex Dr, La Verne, CA 91750
Phone: (909) 593-7078
Hours:
Open today · 8AM–8PM
Directions: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/''/...ved=0ahUKEwi9k5TO0MzRAhVN9GMKHbNNCHUQ9RcICjAA

El Merendero is good for breakfast burritos. Lots of drivers and crew guys there. My buddy and I had breakfast with Jon O and Nicky Boninfante couple yrs ago. Plenty of In-N-Outs on the way from LAX to Pomona too. Fun to drive into Hollywood after Sat qualifying. Sunset Strip on Sat night can be fun!

I considered TE but have a hard time coughing up the dough.

Personally, I think the TEC is great value. I like the startline viewing and the fact that people stay seated in front of you. If Formula 1 was your thing, you could get their two-day Paddock Club hospitality package for the US Grand Prix at Austin TX for a mere $4,350 plus tax per person.

How long are you in town for?

Many good suggestions and may I add that a Lions Drag Museum (private collection) recently opened up in Long Beach too.

After years of wanting to go, finally going to go to Pomona for the Winternationals. Unfortunately flying into LAX which I hear can be horrible. Only cost $82 round trip so I really can't complain.
Is there a specific side or section which sit in? I considered TE but have a hard time coughing up the dough.

Thanks for the advice!
I've haven't had to many problems flying in and out of LAX, but I always fly in on Thursday night and fly the redeye back to Chicago. The 10 was backed up a couple times on the way to the airport on Sunday night, but that has been it.

Awesome.

For the Winters, you should not have too much traffic problems; it is not as heavy in recent times. I kinda depends where you're staying and coming in from. The drive from the 10 fwy to the Fairplex entrance is where it would get thick. Not too terrible tho, especially if you are there by 9am.
Pomona parking.jpg

In the foreground is what is the typical wait at the toll booths(the yellow and red canopies).
The lot workers will direct you to your parking area. On the left is the more expensive spots (approx $25) and pitside parking is even more than that; those are next to the ticket booth area.
The green lines are the long Pomona walk. It's a rite of passage. Gotta do it.

Hellz yes to El Merendero. You might see a few maters in there in the mornings.

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG
Pomona08WN 002.JPG

On Friday nights, the museum has "Night of Champions" where there is a panel of NHRA personalities having an hour long talk. There is a free tram that picks people up right outside the ticket booth area. They bring you right back to that spot as well. Admission has been FREE during national events but a donation box is there in the museum for appreciative visitors. Caveat: there is usually sportsman racing still going on at 6pm when the talk starts.
IMG_0227.JPG

For tickets, the booth accepts empty Mello Yello containers for an $8 dollar discount off each ticket. I gotta say, section 5 or 6 (right over the tunnel) is stout. The fuel cars shake your insides, shake your fillings, and blur your vision real nice right there. I love it. The sight lines from section 3 and 4 are slightly obstructed by the railing over that tunnel.
IMG_0081.JPG

Section 22 is right in front of the big screen. You might see maters in either of those sections! :)

But the loudest seats are on the Westside near the starting line. Holy hell my hearing was hurting over there. Loved being close to the action there.
IMG_0234.JPG

I don't think you'll have much problem with people standing up in front of you on account of areas of empty seating. You can tell where the reserved section stops and the general admission starts:

IMG_0159.JPG

On Sunday mornings, fuel cars are not allowed to fire up until 9am (I think) and then all of a sudden ALL of the cars fire up in the pits. It is awesome; clouds of nitro are everywhere. If Scott Palmer is there, it might be the only fuel car in the pits to whack the throttle.

There is an In N Out in LaVerne; there are some fancy restaurants there too; I've seen the big fuel teams in some of them.

Pomona is my favorite place. It's magical. I hope you enjoy it.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the tips. I'm so excited. I do really want to see the NHRA Museum while in town.

At Bravo Burger I recommend the Colossal Burger (Burger with a pile of Pastrami mixed in) with a bag of Onion rings and an order of Fried Zucchini on the side with Ranch Dressing for dipping.

Their breakfast plates are plentiful and good.

Pinnacle Peak's on Foothill in San Dimas for steaks or the Northwoods Inn on Azusa Ave in Covina for a bountiful great meal.

I thought drag racers live on coffee and cigarettes, at least according to Bob Glidden .....
:D

Thanks for the advice!

Hey Chris, this will be my 25th straight Winters, and with the exception of maybe 2-3 times, I've always flown into LAX simply cause the flight times are more flexible plus I can fly non-Stop

Awesome.

For the Winters, you should not have too much traffic problems; it is not as heavy in recent times. I kinda depends where you're staying and coming in from. The drive from the 10 fwy to the Fairplex entrance is where it would get thick. Not too terrible tho, especially if you are there by 9am.
View attachment 3931

In the foreground is what is the typical wait at the toll booths(the yellow and red canopies).
The lot workers will direct you to your parking area. On the left is the more expensive spots (approx $25) and pitside parking is even more than that; those are next to the ticket booth area.
The green lines are the long Pomona walk. It's a rite of passage. Gotta do it.

Hellz yes to El Merendero. You might see a few maters in there in the mornings.

View attachment 3932
View attachment 3933View attachment 3935

On Friday nights, the museum has "Night of Champions" where there is a panel of NHRA personalities having an hour long talk. There is a free tram that picks people up right outside the ticket booth area. They bring you right back to that spot as well. Admission has been FREE during national events but a donation box is there in the museum for appreciative visitors. Caveat: there is usually sportsman racing still going on at 6pm when the talk starts.
View attachment 3934

For tickets, the booth accepts empty Mello Yello containers for an $8 dollar discount off each ticket. I gotta say, section 5 or 6 (right over the tunnel) is stout. The fuel cars shake your insides, shake your fillings, and blur your vision real nice right there. I love it. The sight lines from section 3 and 4 are slightly obstructed by the railing over that tunnel. View attachment 3936

Section 22 is right in front of the big screen. You might see maters in either of those sections! :)

But the loudest seats are on the Westside near the starting line. Holy hell my hearing was hurting over there. Loved being close to the action there.
View attachment 3937

I don't think you'll have much problem with people standing up in front of you on account of areas of empty seating. You can tell where the reserved section stops and the general admission starts:

View attachment 3938

On Sunday mornings, fuel cars are not allowed to fire up until 9am (I think) and then all of a sudden ALL of the cars fire up in the pits. It is awesome; clouds of nitro are everywhere. If Scott Palmer is there, it might be the only fuel car in the pits to whack the throttle.

There is an In N Out in LaVerne; there are some fancy restaurants there too; I've seen the big fuel teams in some of them.

Pomona is my favorite place. It's magical. I hope you enjoy it.
Damn Paul, how long it take you to post all of that? Lol

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back