First time to Pomona (1 Viewer)

Mark

Nitro Member
So it's my first time going to Pomona...checking my oldest kid out of school Wednesday afternoon and flying cross country. I've got the tickets, hotel, etc, but I'm looking for suggestions on some other practical matters, like parking at the event, etc. Any and all help would be appreciated!

El Merendero for lunch, right next to the track it's a Pomona tradition.

Alan

I went once in 2003 to the Finals and it wasn't that expensive to park. I think it was like $15 per day. I am sure it has gone up, but I doubt it is crazy high.

Don't forget to buy a $12 beer in the commemorative Fairplex collector mug and find the grandstand intersection of Aisle 24 and Row 24. ;)

El Merendero for lunch, right next to the track it's a Pomona tradition.

Alan

Alan is SPOT ON for lunch
Seriously pay the extra for Pitside parking at least one day and feel like royalty, the rest of the days just walk with the masses from the stables.
Darr is court #2424 with Judge Couch presiding going to be in session this year on Saturday? I won't be back from SEMA until then.

so, uh, how bad are we talking?

Pitside preferred is $25-30 per day, and while that seems really high. Consider preferred is $15 and is about a 10 minute walk to the gate give or take. Pit side preferred is next door to the entrance and has its own exit, and if you have ever fought the traffic out of the Fairplex you won't park there again!

Where else on the planet can you eat real deal carne asada and listen to Alan call superstock qualifying. It doesn't get any better than that.

Parking can run as high as $40 and that puts you right at the gate. Like everyones said, El Merendero is pretty good. They should haul a$$ next weekend looking at the weather forecast. We moved out of SoCal in 97, but still manage to get down there for the two races.

Last edited:
Sneak off and go over to the rail museum. The Union Pacific Big Boy is the "top fueler" of the trians.

Also plan some time for the NHRA museum, right there at the Fairplex. Pomona is awesome, I'm jealous.

Insider tip; The last time I went to Pomona as a spectator some 5 years ago we parked at the museum for $10 and spent some time there. Then we hoped on the tram and rode right to the front gate.

Not sure if that can still be done though.

Look what I found for the Pomona World Finals (presented by whoever) next week

1454828_10151929249343350_1467365408_n.jpg

Pomona is where my heart is. It's hallowed ground.

I don't doubt parking has gone up to $15 for the furthest spots away. However, the Pomona-parking-lot-walk pilgrimage is part of the experience. It's a rite of passage. You must do it. :D

Once you are in the parking lot, you are in. They won't let you out and back in on the original fee I don't think. So.... El Merendero is 1st stop in the morning before going in. Breakfast burritos with chips and salsa are so good there. You might see some big time NHRA stars in there with you! I've seen lots of em in there.

On Friday night, they have "Night of Champions" at the museum. You might have to sacrifice sportsmen racing (alcohol classes) because they are usually scheduled atthe same time. It's a panel of about 6 or 7 NHRA drivers answering questions and telling stories for a good hour. The tram is free and so is admission. Well worth it.

On Sunday night, either be one of the first ones out the grandstands when the last pair of fuelers cross the finish line or wait out the massive traffic jam by going to the winner's circle celebration. The pits are usually pretty lively on that night with live bands and shenanigans going on as crews finish up the year.

The Snake and Mongoose movie might be playing nearby, so that would be something to look into. It's a good flick.

Last edited:
In-N-Out sometime during the trip is a must. Lock your vehicle so you don't lose it or anything else. Track food has improved greatly there might be a Fatburger stand or a Calbi food truck on the grounds. Take a jacket, its So Cal in November which means it could be gorgeous or rainy/chilly or both at some point during the day. Have fun.:D

S/F
D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back