Winternationals advice (1 Viewer)

janet

Nitro Member
I am a relative newbie to watching drag racing, and have only attended a few races in person (Reading 2003-2007, Columbus 2004, Indy 2004, Vegas 2 2005). I am seriously thinking about attending the 2009 Winternationals but would like some advice. Please understand, though, I have a very limited budget and am quite used to less than the best quality.

I don't think I can afford Top Eliminator seats, so other than those, where is the best place to sit -- I tend to like high up, on the pit side, near the launch area but I am flexible. Would I have nasty sun in my eyes if I were to sit in such a location at Pomona? Are there obstructions I need to consider?

Somebody asked previously about lodgings in the area for the Finals, and I assume most of that is still valid. Somebody mentioned that the Rodeway is no good but it has some of the best prices -- what is the problem with this place? I will be accompanied by my spouse and he is also used to staying in dives so unless the place is horribly dirty or unsafe, we really don't worry about appearance or amenities. The Motel 6 in San Dimas is about $30 more per night. Is it worth it?

Do people who are not local fly into the local Ontario airport or just to LAX and then rent a car? I need to rent a car regardless, and the price differential between flying into the Ontario airport and LAX is several hundred dollars so I am leaning towards LAX. Is it a nightmare to get to and away from, or is it a reasonable option?

I would appreciate any and all input from locals and others who have gone to Pomona for the Winternationals.

Thanks

Janet

Pitside seats around the starting line would be good because if you got high enough up there are suites on the top that will provide some shade for you. I flew into Orange County/John Wayne airport in Santa Ana. it's about 30 miles from the track, but it offers a 3rd oprtion for you, and should be about the same distance as LAX, or mayber even a little closer. I can't comment on lodging, I stayed with family.

I hope that helps.

Ontario airport is just 10 miles from the track, but check flights because they sometimes don't offer much flexability on schedules. As for Tickets I get Reserved Sec. 5 but if prices are an issue you can always go Gen. Admission! Motels are everywhere and you can find some sweet deals on the internet.

Hi Jan,

yes, the Sun will be in your eyes. You can try the West side stands (on Sat or Sun only) after around 3pm for shade. Obstacle-wise, there are no pillars or anything like that. There are however chain link fences and poles to contend with if you sit next to a tunnel. Of course the other thing is people standing.
I got lucky that no one stood in the section I was in. There is a very famous chassis builder who had a buddy sitting with him.
One guy down in front stood up and of course that is what sets off the wave of everyone having to stand up. Well, the buddy yelled out to the one guy "Hey d!ckhead! Sit down! we can't see!"
We all laughed, and no one stood up after that. It was great.

I like the top end seating, which also happens to be General admission pricing.
This time, the fires kept Sunday attendance lower and it was not crowded at all! Plenty of room in spite of the overflow bleachers being closed. They won't be open as long as we're at 1000 ft. racing.
The West side and the overflow seating will not be open Thursday or Friday.

I live very near the track and drive by the Rodeway frequently. The Rodeway has a rough crowd living there. Don't go there.

If you can swing it, defintely fly into Ontario. My buddy Chris Schoen will tell you about traffic to and from the track and LAX. :D

Last edited:
You can go from Orange Airpart in about 29 mins. Get on the net and post the motels that seem good to you and we will help.

Last edited:
If you can swing it, defintely fly into Ontario. My buddy Chris Schoen will tell you about traffic to and from the track and LAX. :D
It can be a bi7ch getting to LAX, especially if you`re flying out on Sunday night, I`ve pushed it many a times trying to make my flight. I started staying Sunday nights at the LAX Courtyard and would catch one of the early Monday morning flights. I haven`t gone thru LAX for a couple years now though, Ontario is much better but there aren`t a lot flights in and out of there. Place was a ghost town Sunday about 6pm when I flew home.

Just a thought considering your limited budget...

If you really want to attend the Winternats I understand, it is a special race.

But the weather is so iffy at that time of year even in Socal, I gave up going several years ago due to getting rained out half the time.

If you just want to attend at Pomona I'd say the weather odds are more in your favor for the Finals.

Hey I just rained out the 2009 Finals! :eek:

I've never had a problem flying out of LAX, in fact I like it better because I can fly Nonstop as opposed to stopping in Phoenix/Vegas! But then again I always book an 8-9PM flight, at Ontario this year my flight was at 5:40 and I missed it! Had to wait another 2 hours for another one, didn't get home till 12:30AM!!!:mad:

At one time or another I've flown into Ontario, Orange County and Burbank, depending on what time the latest departure is. When I come for the Winters next Feb, I'm flying into Orange County since the last plane is about 8:15 P.M. Orange County can tend to be a little more expensive because of all the people who are taking the family to see THE MOUSE. The last few years Ontario had the latest departures so that is which one I chose, however another option is leaving Monday morning if there is a huge difference in prices. If the cost difference is equal to what another night is in a hotel, why not hang around for the winners circle ceremonies, and let the traffic clear up? Another airport to check is Long Beach, Jetblue just started flying daily nonstops from PDX, so I imagine that other cities might offer nonstops there too. Good luck!

POMONA PARKING - this should be number two on your list. As you enter the main parking gate go to the right, turn left and go left as soon as can double back and park facing incoming traffic. You'll have to zig and zag a little but when you come to get in your car you will be out and gone in 5 minute's tops. What ever you do don't pay for premium parking. All it does is put you in the back of a long line of fans waiting to leave when racing in over.

POMONA PARKING - this should be number two on your list. As you enter the main parking gate go to the right, turn left and go left as soon as can double back and park facing incoming traffic. You'll have to zig and zag a little but when you come to get in your car you will be out and gone in 5 minute's tops. What ever you do don't pay for premium parking. All it does is put you in the back of a long line of fans waiting to leave when racing in over.

Pitside Parking ... Drive right out the back :)

Janet
Fly into Ontario (I was stationed in 29 Palms CA and flew in/out of ONT quite a bit, cheap flights, close to the track) Lots of reasonable hotels near the Ontario Mills Ontario Mills - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Simon Malls | More Choices — Ontario Mills Information, Ontario Mills Gift Cards plus you have the added benefit of restaurants and shopping (and something to to do if you get rained/snowed out). If folks say some where in the LA area is bad its BAD so stay away. The pits are a little tight compared to Vegas or Chicago and things some times grow legs there(when I was hanging out with V.Gaines we had a golf cart disappear in '98), so keep your head on a swivel, make sure you have all of your stuff and enjoy the races. Be prepared for some wide temperature swings and hit In-N-Out.

S/F
D

Last edited:
I don't know where you're located, but if you're in an area that has Jet Blue, Long Beach is another option. It's much closer than LAX and booking ahead for them is pretty cheap. They have all the essentials you need, cab, rentals, etc....

The motel 6 in San Dimas is fine, but they may already be booked, there are some teams that I know book there a year or two in advance.

As for seats, I have no advice for you, sorry. When I go to the stands, I'm at the end of the track on pit side.

Good luck!!!

Janet, didn't have time to read through all threads but I thought I just give my input. You can always just buy a general admission ticket and once inside decide where you would like to sit and got to seat upgrade and pay the extra $10 then. I recommend doing this early as seat do sell out. As for lodging, I recommend W. Covina. It's close to the track, the rooms over there are reasonable and there is plenty of resturaunts in walking distance. I usually drive down from Sac but I have flown into Ontario and it's a piece of cake. It is about 8 miles from the track (and is a direct shot up the freeway), also I have gotten the Hilton at the airport rooms through Priceline and the like for less than $100 bucks a night.

Hope this is helpful (and not redundant). How ever it works out, you be glad you went :)

Motel 6 - Los Angeles - Pomona >> #1368
SR 60/SR 71 at South Garey Avenue
2470 South Garey Avenue
Pomona, CA 91766
(909) 591-1871

Just 4 miles from the track, straight drive up Garey, turn left and you are there. Unlike the San Dimas Motel 6, this one usually has rooms available over race weekend.

Thanks for all the advice. It would appear flying into the Ontario airport is preferred, but it adds 4 hours to my trip due to a very long layover in Pittsburgh. I am in central Pennsylvania, so I am forced to take hedge hopper flights to get to some hub unless I drive down to Pittsburgh (3 hours over mountains in February is NOT appealing). Also, my choices of airlines at the local airport are limited (mostly Northwest and sometimes US air and sometimes United).

I am still looking at motels and such. Because of the tanking economy, I am sort of holding off on making final plans. I am thinking maybe a month from now airlines and hotels might be a little more desperate and give better deals. My plan would be to fly in on Thursday and fly out the next Tuesday or so (need to sightsee and do other such touristy things).

Thanks again for all advice, and maybe you'll see us in Pomona.

janet

If you can't do Ontario (I can't either, last flight is around 5:00), check LAX, Orange County or Long Beach. They are all roughly equidistant from Pomona. Yes, I know that's not strictly true, but if you consider traffic, they all have the potential to get completely hosed by Sunday night traffic if you're trying to scoot for the airport. LA traffic is so unpredictable you can get to the airport an hour early or two minutes late -- ugh.

Ideal would be to leave Monday AM. Take your time leaving the track -- if you haven't hung around a national event afterward, it can be a blast. The pressure is off, many drivers hang around while the crews load up. Great chance to chat with folks and just soak in the atmosphere. Especially at Pomona where there never is a race the next weekend in some remote town. Let the traffic clear, wander to your hotel (or stay near your airport that night -- even better), and get up for your flight the next day. Way less stress -- unless you're missing work (or maybe because you're missing work)... ;)

Jan,
Yesterday I happen to drive by the Motel 6 Robin mentions above.
It's not bad! Next to the 60 fwy, the area is good.
There is a nice Quality inn on the same street, a few blocks up also.

For the finals, subway restaurants had coupons for $8 off general admissions for all 4 days. This is what I did.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back