Chicago day trip (1 Viewer)

FC138fan

Nitro Member
I am planning on a day trip to check out the night qualifying in Chicago next weekend. We are leaving from just north of Minneapolis.

This trip will be weather based, but if there is no chance of rain, Saturday looks like the day to do it.

Google Maps predicts an 8 hour drive. Has anyone made this drive before and did it take that long? I know Chicago traffic is outrageous, is there a preferred route to get there?

If we count on 8 hours, leaving at 4am would put us at the track at noon. The Jeg's allstar race is at 1. Is an hour enough time to park, get tickets and get seated?

I don't expect having trouble getting tickets, should I? Where is the best place to sit? For Brainerd, our seats are right on the start, so I was thinking somewhere about 250' up high. Is it out of the question to expect to get top row if I'm getting same day tickets at the track?

Is anyone aware of any road construction in the area to avoid?

Any other tips or suggestions?

Thanks all!

Don't go through chicago, go around it. It's usually a 6.5 hours for me when I leave from the cities. I usually drive 5-8 over the speed limit, or faster if I am not keeping up. :D Get seats on the pit side if you can. I would call and see if they have any prefered parking spots left. It's extra money, but you park right next to the pro pits almost. Otherwise, you have to walk from the scoreboards or worse on the opposite side of the track, and have to walk all the way around. For us, money saved on drinks in the car in a cooler paid the cost of the parking several times over.

I am planning on a day trip to check out the night qualifying in Chicago next weekend. We are leaving from just north of Minneapolis.

This trip will be weather based, but if there is no chance of rain, Saturday looks like the day to do it.

Google Maps predicts an 8 hour drive. Has anyone made this drive before and did it take that long? I know Chicago traffic is outrageous, is there a preferred route to get there?

If we count on 8 hours, leaving at 4am would put us at the track at noon. The Jeg's allstar race is at 1. Is an hour enough time to park, get tickets and get seated?

I don't expect having trouble getting tickets, should I? Where is the best place to sit? For Brainerd, our seats are right on the start, so I was thinking somewhere about 250' up high. Is it out of the question to expect to get top row if I'm getting same day tickets at the track?

Is anyone aware of any road construction in the area to avoid?

Any other tips or suggestions?

Thanks all!

Take I-94 East to I-39 South to I-80 East to the Route 53 Exit. You'll avoid Chicago altogether.

Yeah, you definitely don't want to get mired in Chicago traffic. As it's already been said, there are ways to go around.

66 is a great track and they just installed new LED scoreboards. Can't wait to see them!

9 more days!

Yeah, you definitely don't want to get mired in Chicago traffic. As it's already been said, there are ways to go around.

66 is a great track and they just installed new LED scoreboards. Can't wait to see them!

9 more days!
I will get to checkout the new boards this weekend at the Jr dragster race.

Nick, the wife and I are leaving Saturday morning too. I've made the trip before and, like Paul said, it's about 6.5 hours from my house in NE Mpls. I went 94 East, 90 East, 290 South (or east), 355 South, 80 West without much traffic delay. If you went down I-39 south of Rockford, I wouldn't go all the way to I-80. I-88 would be much shorter.

There isn't a bad seat in the house really. I would urge you to order tickets in advance and print them at home because the gate ticket office there is about the slowest process I have ever seen at any event. The track website doesn't charge the outrageous fees either, at least it didn't appear to yesterday when I was looking at it.

I haven't driven it personally, but Gretchen's mom and sister recently did and it took about 9 hours to Chicago's western suburbs. It may be quicker to downtown by about 30 minutes or so.

Any way you go, have fun and travel safe!

Stop by the Chris Demke/Maddern Racing pits and say hi Nick!

I've gone from MN to PA and took that 39 straight to 80 before... it is longer but has always been wide open. Last trip through we took 88 with no problems either.. I just recall a tool booth and construction last time we drove it.

Mark, you staying for Sunday? I will be there Saturday only (pending weather). My friend who comes with to BIR every year has never seen night qualifying (being that BIR never does it).

I've gone from MN to PA and took that 39 straight to 80 before... it is longer but has always been wide open. Last trip through we took 88 with no problems either.. I just recall a tool booth and construction last time we drove it.

Mark, you staying for Sunday? I will be there Saturday only (pending weather). My friend who comes with to BIR every year has never seen night qualifying (being that BIR never does it).

Yes, Nick, we're meeting Greg Rice and staying over til Sunday. We're driving back Sunday afternoon so we'll likely leave after the semifinals. We'll hook up with you sometime if you want.

My take on the place is based on what I enjoy at the track, yours may vary.

I don't mind the walk, and I'm not big on visiting the pits anyways. I've seen the sights, I've got the hand outs, etc.. General parking has always been at the north side of the track. Someone mentioned above you can pay extra and take preferred parking on the south side (near the pits). I never knew that to be sold to the general public, and the only time I parked there was when I had suite passes in the tower. I'm not saying it is not worth a shot to ask, but don't be surprised if you park with everyone else on the north side. Depending on the time you get there, expect to be parking down at the sand trap. I believe it has been 5 bucks to park recently, but bring 10 just in case. After that you have to walk up the length of the track from the sand trap to just about the 1/8th mile mark to the ticket booths. The lines can be pretty long. For my personal experience, I buy General Admission. They are 10 dollars cheaper, and you have free reign of your seat. In the gate you go, don't bring any coolers or food, because they aren't letting you in with it. You can choose to head right up to the stands and enjoy some racing, or, continue your long walk around the back of the timing tower and across the staging lanes to the south side where all the pits are. Be forewarned, if you are pit side, they don't let you up into the stands with your GA ticket. You MAY be able to go stand along the fence to watch, but not up in the seats. As far as the seats go, the track is identically layed out north and south with the unique horseshoe grandstands. The Winston Vision.. or whatever the hell it is today.. is on the North side around the 700foot mark angled slightly south. Depending on WHERE in the north side stands you sit, your view of the TV isn't the greatest. The track runs east to west, so the center of the horseshoe gets shade first. It's equal on both sides. I advise the north GA ticket because there are SO many great places to view the races from, I don't personally like to be tied to one seat. You can start in the horseshoe next to the tower to catch the early shade and get a GREAT up close view of them pulling under the tower and starting the cars and heading into the burnout box. May even get a little rubber speckling from this seat. Be forewarned that sitting anywhere in the "bowl" part of the horseshoe will amplify the sound, esp the nitro cars, and your ears will be hardcore ringing even the next morning. Some of the time being closer to the starting line is a great view. The 60ft clocks are great. Sitting all the way towards half track your ears are saved from the cackle, but you sure get them thundering past you. I enjoy walking the length of the stands at various times, and there really is not a bad seat in the place. Top to bottom. Be prepared to pay 5 bucks for a slice of pizza, hot dog, or hamburger from the concessions under the stands. Water/pop/etc is at least 3 bucks. The restrooms and concessions are excellent and are placed evenly under both north and south stands. Very convenient. The pits are probably.. ohh.. 10 rigs and setups wide per aisle. They typically start with top fuel, then funny car, then lesser funded top fuel and funny car teams mixed in with pro stock, then the alky boys get some pavement, then a huge expanse of grassy pits with asphalt roads surrounding them all the way to the sand trap on the south side for the huge throng of sportsman cars. If you want to see it all, be prepared to do A LOT of walking! Usually by the time the night is ready to wrap up, I find myself at the very east end of the north bleachers, and watching the last pair go down start heading out. They usually do a great job of getting you out of the place. Just pay attention to what lane you are in, because the cops turn certain lanes one way only to get the traffic flowing.

Here are some pics of views you can expect to have..
270669_1653525318011_1635617_n.jpg

247478_1588955543807_4759846_n.jpg

16036_1073622260797_2288390_n.jpg

248134_2848917242062_258338608_n.jpg

Okay so hopefully not that last one of an oil down. The grassy field to the upper right is where the north side parking is. In summary, bring sun block, enjoy the JEGS All-Stars, get lots of pit pics, save some $ on the GA tickets and enjoy the many views the first stadium in drag racing has to offer, and have a great time! I'll be around somewhere..

Here are a few more since you are limited to a certain amount of images per post..

16036_1073622540804_190002_n.jpg

We hope to not see this one either!
16036_1073622500803_4397544_n.jpg

ALSO of note, according to Route 66 Raceways facebook page, VIP parking is sold out. So its general parking only.

Last edited:
Best strategy is park across the street on north side -private parking -beer is expensive -sit on on spectator side -about 10 min walk -we tailgate between rounds . route 66 DOES NOT ALLOW ANY FOOD OR DRINK . after the race -you are out on i80 in 10 min -I never got stuck in traffic

Bob and Dave thanks for all your information and opinions. I am now considering GA admission so that we can maybe check out a couple different views. For the past 10 years our seats have been set on the start line at BIR. Im curious to hear the sound down in the bowl as well, but want to check out half track, maybe even the finish.

My last experiences with general admission have been extremely packed and small stands... which doesn't look like it will be a problem in Chicago.

Mark, I'll give you my cell later next week if the plans work out. I'll probably be in the stands most of the time after the Jegs show starts though, but if we get there early enough, I want to get a beer before going up to the stands, maybe we can meet at a beer garden or something.

I'm thinking we're due for a stretch of dry weather considering the past month, so hope things work out!

Bob and Dave thanks for all your information and opinions. I am now considering GA admission so that we can maybe check out a couple different views. For the past 10 years our seats have been set on the start line at BIR. Im curious to hear the sound down in the bowl as well, but want to check out half track, maybe even the finish.

My last experiences with general admission have been extremely packed and small stands... which doesn't look like it will be a problem in Chicago.

Mark, I'll give you my cell later next week if the plans work out. I'll probably be in the stands most of the time after the Jegs show starts though, but if we get there early enough, I want to get a beer before going up to the stands, maybe we can meet at a beer garden or something.

I'm thinking we're due for a stretch of dry weather considering the past month, so hope things work out!

Nick, I have your cell # from last summer when we exchanged them at Brainerd. My number hasn't changed. See if you still have it. Is yours still the 735 number?

Nick, I have your cell # from last summer when we exchanged them at Brainerd. My number hasn't changed. See if you still have it. Is yours still the 735 number?

I'm sure I have it... I think I have the last 3 years of texts in there. It's the (763)-689 number. If there's time, we can walk the Chicago pits, I hadn't planned on it but it will be cool if it works out.

Of note, you can buy a reserved seat on the south side, and STILL use the GA stands on the north. If you want to pay the extra 10 just to have a seat over there if you head to the pits, it's no problem.

The first pic i posted was pro stock last year friday night. You can see the empty spaces. Don't worry about crowded stands, there is plenty of room to spread out. If you're there early for the JEGS All-Stars, I doubt the crowd will be big at all considering the pro show isn't until later. That'll be a great time for you to walk the stands and pick the best view. The nice part is, at the very top of the stands is a big walkway, so you can just go from one end to the other without having to go down and back up again. The third pic I posted was from saturday in 08 or 09. You can see looking across at the north side, a lot of empty space at the top and that's right at the starting line. I can't predict the future but I don't think the crowd is something you'll need to worry about here. :D Sit near the betting section, you might even make a few bucks! Just make sure you know all the rules first! :p

Looks like we get to hang around for eliminations! I just won John Kernan's contest for free Saturday & Sunday tickets to the race!

How cool is that! Hope the weather will cooperate!

Hey John, can you make the price of gas drop to 99cents too?

Sec B next to the tower gives a great view down track. Most tracks call those seats "Top Elim. Club" and charge $300 +. 66 seats dont go very far down track, but they go very high on both sides. Enjoy the quickest track in the country.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back