2010 Norwalk Night of fire (2 Viewers)

FC138fan

Nitro Member
After reading all the excited fans who saw the 2009 Night of fire in Norwalk, and watching some youtube clips, I started talking to my dad about how great it would be to go to the night of fire next year. After getting him to agree that it would be cool, and thinking that I could make a trip home to go see it with him, I went to look into tickets and whatnot.

Then I looked at the actual schedule of events and saw that the show starts at night..

Now I know that night would be awesome, but I don't think its worth flying across the country, driving 3 hours, etc. for a 2 - 3 hour show. My question is what goes on during the day at this show? How many F/C passes go on during the day? What other classes are running all day?

Whats better, the NHRA event at norwalk or the night of fire?

And finally, how come the nearest IHRA national event is over 6 hours away from Pittsburgh?

There is racing all day during the event, but the feature cars do not start until dusk.

Once in a while, a JFR car will make a 1/2 track during the day, but it is a "Night Under Fire".

30K fans can't be wrong, it is a great show.

After reading all the excited fans who saw the 2009 Night of fire in Norwalk, and watching some youtube clips, I started talking to my dad about how great it would be to go to the night of fire next year. After getting him to agree that it would be cool, and thinking that I could make a trip home to go see it with him, I went to look into tickets and whatnot.

Then I looked at the actual schedule of events and saw that the show starts at night..

Now I know that night would be awesome, but I don't think its worth flying across the country, driving 3 hours, etc. for a 2 - 3 hour show. My question is what goes on during the day at this show? How many F/C passes go on during the day? What other classes are running all day?

Whats better, the NHRA event at norwalk or the night of fire?

And finally, how come the nearest IHRA national event is over 6 hours away from Pittsburgh?

I am not sure of how many runs of funny car. I know they have tested during the day. If your going for entertainment then NUF is the way to go. The race is like any other National event. It is just at a real good race facility.

Why can't you fly into CAK ? It is alot closer to norwalk and usually cheaper price.

NOF is a great show.

There is racing all day (sportsman) and the show cars start at night. They do it up HUGE!!!!

Shouldn't take you 3 hours to drive from any reasonable airport. From Detroit Metro you can make it in 2.5 Toldeo or Columbus would be much quicker than that.

Not sure which is better a national event or NOF, especially with your extra travel cost. I do know that it is nearly impossible to leave Norwalk unhappy.

My dad lives in Pittsburgh, I live im MN. I would fly home and we would make the drive together. It takes 2 hours on the turnpike from our house to Cleveland, I think its another hour to Sandusky.

I've been to tons of NHRA national events, and you are right that the racing is the best. I've been trying to find an event comperable to the 1998 IHRA world nationals we went to... the racing was great all day, they had fuel cars, alcohol cars, pro mod cars, jet cars, jet rigs, and a "night of fire" with nighttime TF runs, and Motz's rig, along with nitro harleys, and jet dragsters, etc etc..

I guess Im used to Brainerd where its all strictly racing, and NO nighttime racing, and NO pro mods. I wanted to go to something different, but still an all day affair.

My dad can only handle one day of racing also, so after looking here is a new scenerio..

Go to the Friday qualifying for the NHRA national event. They have pro mod, alcohol cars, and an evening qualifying session right - sort of a generic night of fire? Along with all day racing.

Only gamble is, make huge plans and buy tickets... then it gets rained out...

BTW, saw the ticket ordering system online at Norwalk's site... light years ahead of most other ticket ordering setups, you can pick your individual seat, and see what seats around you are taken. Very cool.

My dad lives in Pittsburgh, I live im MN. I would fly home and we would make the drive together. It takes 2 hours on the turnpike from our house to Cleveland, I think its another hour to Sandusky.

I've been to tons of NHRA national events, and you are right that the racing is the best. I've been trying to find an event comperable to the 1998 IHRA world nationals we went to... the racing was great all day, they had fuel cars, alcohol cars, pro mod cars, jet cars, jet rigs, and a "night of fire" with nighttime TF runs, and Motz's rig, along with nitro harleys, and jet dragsters, etc etc..

I guess Im used to Brainerd where its all strictly racing, and NO nighttime racing, and NO pro mods. I wanted to go to something different, but still an all day affair.

My dad can only handle one day of racing also, so after looking here is a new scenerio..

Go to the Friday qualifying for the NHRA national event. They have pro mod, alcohol cars, and an evening qualifying session right - sort of a generic night of fire? Along with all day racing.

Only gamble is, make huge plans and buy tickets... then it gets rained out...

BTW, saw the ticket ordering system online at Norwalk's site... light years ahead of most other ticket ordering setups, you can pick your individual seat, and see what seats around you are taken. Very cool.

Thier ticket ordering is just one reason why they are the gold standard of race tracks.

Not to steer you away from NOF but with what you are looking for perhaps the World Series of Drag Racing in Cordova is something you might like. I haven't been there yet but my Dad and others I know have and they love it.

Not to steer you away from NOF but with what you are looking for perhaps the World Series of Drag Racing in Cordova is something you might like. I haven't been there yet but my Dad and others I know have and they love it.

I would have to agree with PJ, and at the World Series they run all day long on Saturday with multiple rounds of AAFC action during the day to go along with the Quick 16 cars and many sportsmen classes... That is not to mention it is the longest running drag race in history pushing the 57th Annual Event in 2010!

If You should get your tickets thru MAC tools. I buy mine from the tool man
excellent food. steak burgers chicken EXCELLENT DEAL. IMO I have been
getting my tickets that way for the last 10 yrs. You get seats in 1a 1b 1c
and worth 48 bucks. BUT thats is my opinion.

this race is surprisingly the last of the mohicans of Funny Car Match Races, I remember the days when Raceway Park had a plethora of Funny Cars on wednesday nights, now RP is notorious for Monster Trucks instead of Funny Cars :rolleyes: Oh how i would long RP to go old school again and bring in 6 or 8 Funny Cars match racing under the lights

I can't tell you enough how enjoyable Norwalk is, I live an hour from there and go as often as I can.

One thing to keep in mind if you want to see some header flames is that Norwalk's race date coincides with the longest days of the year so its not really dark till 9:30. Most of the years its been light when 2nd round starts of Friday.
Otherwise I agree, the NUF is a fabulous show but the track isn't as fast as the national events and there are usually 4 pairs of Nitro. I had more fun at the nationals this year even though watching Motz burn down the backdrop is a lot of bun.

One other thought, you get Bader's Over the Top fireworks show both nights.

One thing to keep in mind if you want to see some header flames is that Norwalk's race date coincides with the longest days of the year so its not really dark till 9:30. Most of the years its been light when 2nd round starts of Friday.

I thought about that too. The problem with Cordova and pretty much all other tracks is that they are just too far away. Living in central MN is great in that I can get my yearly nitro fix in Brainerd for 3 days, only 2 hours away.

In Pittsburgh, nearest IHRA track is way over near the Chesapeake bay in Budds Creek, 5 hours away. Nearest NHRA is Norwalk, still 3 hours away.

After hearing all the rave about the night of fire and seeing the videos, I thought what an opportunity to go to a one night show in Norwalk, but after looking into it and hearing you talk about it, it seems that the best part.. the nighttime fuel races, would only be an hour or two long... and it's just not worth it (in my case).

I thought about that too. The problem with Cordova and pretty much all other tracks is that they are just too far away. Living in central MN is great in that I can get my yearly nitro fix in Brainerd for 3 days, only 2 hours away.

Nick, they have these things called airplanes now that'll get you to Indy in a little over an hour from MSP.

Just kidding, Nick. I know how costly it gets when you add in airfare/hotel/rental car to a race trip. Once a year Brainerd trip isn't enough for me so Vegas (1 & 2), Indy, Houston, Chicago, and Dallas have become part of the itinerary. Norwalk is in the picture someday for sure.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back