Looking for advice (1 Viewer)

Well I am booked. Arrive JFK 12 june and strait to Bristol then 3 nites in NYC and up to Epping then Chi-town and then 7 nites in Sandusky and drive back to NYC for 4 nites before flying home. 4 races in 4 weeks! The maddest coasters on the planet and 7 nights at NYC and 4th of July celebrations. I am just a little excited!!

It going to be a long 6 months!

can anyone recommend a place to stay in Bristol?

Look for places in either just over the boarder in Virginia (the town is also called Bristol) or in Johnson City. This is where I have stayed every time I have gone to Bristol. Both are about 20 min drives to the track.

can anyone recommend a place to stay in Bristol?

If you are driving from NYC to Bristol, it would be best to stay in Bristol, VA as it will be closer for you coming in and leaving back to NYC. Many hotels/motels of all quality/price ranges to suit your tastes.

Contact John Lawson, or his daughter, on facebook and I am sure you can get an invitation to see his collection.

As far as driving, you will get to experience the different "attitudes" in the various cities/areas you are going to visit. I grew up in Southern California and am used to agressive driving on the freeways before they all became grid locked. I am also a doer and competitive, so I find driving in the south mundane and NYC an exciting experience, like riding the coasters at CP. So Darren, you have to decide how much excitement you want to experience on your venture when deciding to drive or take public transportation (which can provide it's own brand of excitement).

Have a great and enjoyable time during your visit. You are going to 4 nice venues to see the races.

Driving in NYC can be intense buddy. Another option you have to avoid driving in and out of NYC is to take a PATH train to Newark. Once there jump on the shuttle to Newark airport and hire a car from there. That is what Kye and I did for Indy (twice) it worked out well, and it is also cheaper on your wallet.

You'll have a blast mate.

Mike.

Bristol accom booked. The last piece in the puzzle is hire cars. Does anyone here work for or know someone who works for a hire car company who could help me out? Need a car for Bristol and Epping races then pick up a car at Chicago and drop it back at NYC via Norwalk race.

Bristol accom booked. The last piece in the puzzle is hire cars. Does anyone here work for or know someone who works for a hire car company who could help me out? Need a car for Bristol and Epping races then pick up a car at Chicago and drop it back at NYC via Norwalk race.

So that is what Rental cars are called Down under huh Mate?? LOL...

We stayed at the Courtyard Marriott Johnson City when we went to Bristol. 15 min to track, and there`s a Hooters close by that gets packed after the racings done. Been to NYC three times in last four years and Manhattan is expensive but there`s some decent deals at hotwire. The Marriott Brooklyn Bridge just across the river from Manhattan is a good option too (Grimaldis Pizza under the Brooklyn Bridge is a must). Sounds like a great trip....I`m jealous!

any of you New Yorkers want to take me to a ball game at Yankee Stadium? Not really a stick and ball sports fan but I figure this will be my one and only chance to experience it so I gotta do it.

I am up for it on these dates if there are games on, 16,17,19 of june and 8,9,10 of july. Wouldnt mind doing a tour of the place before the game also!

The Yankees take on the Dodgers on the 18th and 19th of June. As for July 8th through till the 10th they take on the Royals - all games at Yankee Stadium. I'd say go to see a Mets game (Mets fan here) but they're playing away from home on the dates you listed. Also buddy, go to Tickets at StubHub! Where Fans Buy and Sell Tickets to look for your tickets, you'll sometimes score a good deal.

Mike.

Its 8 weeks today until I leave and I am getting pretty excited!!!

Question, I am driving from Joliet to Norwalk on the Monday after the race and was thinking about making a quick detour to Indy to have a look at the track and a couple of the team shops. Will the teams be back to the shop by then or will they still be packing up back in Joliet? I plan on doing Indy next year for the 60th but things can change so I am thinking its only 3 hours extra driving time will be worth it if I do not end up doing Indy next year.

Hope to catch up with those of you attending the 4 races I am going to.

Where there is only a week between Joliet and Norwalk, I would bet many of the teams would be back in Brownsburg by Monday. It's worth a drive through town to check out the shops. The drag strip is just down the road from most of the shops. Also, while in Indy, I would recommend taking an hour to stop in to see the Indy 500 Museum, which is located in the IMS infield.

Its 8 weeks today until I leave and I am getting pretty excited!!!

Question, I am driving from Joliet to Norwalk on the Monday after the race and was thinking about making a quick detour to Indy to have a look at the track and a couple of the team shops. Will the teams be back to the shop by then or will they still be packing up back in Joliet? I plan on doing Indy next year for the 60th but things can change so I am thinking its only 3 hours extra driving time will be worth it if I do not end up doing Indy next year.

Hope to catch up with those of you attending the 4 races I am going to.

Some teams will be back in Brownsburg Monday, but some won't. There is always a test session on Monday at Joliet (weather permitting). The nice thing for the teams is that they can spend Monday testing and still be back in Brownsburg my Monday night or Tuesday morning, spend Tuesday and Wednesday getting things ready for Norwalk and leave the shop on Wednesday or early Thursday morning. Norwalk is only about a 4-4.5 hour drive from Indy so the teams have a lot of options. You may want to consider staying in Joliet until Tuesday morning (maybe take in the test session on Monday) and heading to Brownsburg then. More of the teams will probably be back by then.

Also, while in Indy, I would recommend taking an hour to stop in to see the Indy 500 Museum, which is located in the IMS infield.

Totally agree. Even of you do not like Indy Car racing it's worth it just to say you have been there. They also do a track tour where they drive you around the track in a shuttle van. It's quite a feeling when you drive under the track between turns 1 and 2 and come up in the middle.

Some day I want to play a round of golf there.

On a side note I was just looking at mapquest of IMS and the drag strip and the satellite view appears to be taken during the Nationals.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back