John Asher knocks it out of the park on Pro Stock (1 Viewer)

Name me one category that u could put in pro stock's place, on the race day schedule slot, that would not prevent the fans from leaving. Answer - their is none !!! the main act (nitro) has been on the stage for over an hour and only the hardiest of fans and pro stock nuts will remain, so it unfair to judge the popularity solely on that. If u get rid of pro stock, the only doorslammers left are the throttle stop cars and more bracket racing

Name me one category that u could put in pro stock's place, on the race day schedule slot, that would not prevent the fans from leaving. Answer - their is none !!! the main act (nitro) has been on the stage for over an hour and only the hardiest of fans and pro stock nuts will remain, so it unfair to judge the popularity solely on that. If u get rid of pro stock, the only doorslammers left are the throttle stop cars and more bracket racing
Top fuel motorcycle

Top Fuel motorcycles are fun to watch, but they're like the old Pro Compact Car classes. Rarely do they ever stay together long enough to have side by side races. Only a hand full of them can be counted on to make a full pass every time down the track. So where are you going to find 16 teams to step up their programs to commit to a full 23 race season? Just like jet cars, they're exhibition at best.

Somebody, a L-O-N-G time ago made the comment, "Do they have cars at motorcycle races?"

I thought it was an apt comment then, and I think it is, still...

While I've long been a fan of Pro Stock it really has been blah for some time now. Not saying I want it to go, but it's hard to argue against what Asher points out.

As for replacement classes. Now as a replacement, they wouldn't have to run all the races, they could each run limited schedules.
nostalgia floppers (could even mix in nostalgia dragsters and pro stock to the rotation)
pro mod
Some form of factory stock
Hemi shootouts (and similar)

I'm actually in favor of dumping most of the breakup that happens among the sportsman classes. Throttle stops, cic, index.... Break them into 2 bracket classes 9.99 and faster for one 10 and slower for the other(although part of me likes the fun of one giant class I realize that would be even harder to get over). Run whatever number you want.
People like watching the 13 second whatever pull up next to an 8 second car. Happens every week at local tracks but when the national event rolls into town we break things into 200 different distinctions then group them into 5-8 classes (comp, ss, s, sc,sg,st, ts, td)

You guys seem tyo be missing the point in Ashers article. It is about the show. Pro Mod would be the best replacement as far as the show. As for wow factor, only jets can hold their own next to nitro.

There's a bigger picture to look at. Why does it need to be replaced? The business model of pro drag racing is broken. We have more "Pro" categories than any other series. And we have more events than Indycar and even F1. If you add up TF,FC, and PS, we're trying to have at least 48 teams get funded for 24 events! That's more than NASCAR. And plus, we have PSB as well. I know this has been part of the charm of drag racing, the different pro classes, but professional means you make a living doing it. It's not supposed to mean expensive hobby, that's Top Alcohol on down. So, if PS were to go away, just take the purse money from 24 events, along with the Championship check, and add it to the fuel car purses. The money that they race for is absurd. And I realize that there isn't a motorsport where the purses can support the cars, but it's way out of balance in NHRA pro racing. Maybe it's time to consolidate a bit. Just some crazy thoughts...

There is definitely a bigger picture to look at! While I respect his opinions in the article I don't agree that they should just announce the demise of the class. To suggest there is a decline in interest shown by leaving the stands makes no sense because it has been that way forever-not just recently. The same people that were not a fan of pro stock 20 years ago are the ones saying it should go away today. Saying pro stock is "boring as hell" is definately an opinion and shows it is a totally different fan coming for the fuel classes. Maybe we should replace pro stock with rocket powered roller skates. A true fan of drag racing appreciates pro stock but I understand that is a fraction of people in the stands. There is no denying the fuel classes are what the majority of fans are there to see. If you want to go to the pits and get an autograph, get food or go to the bathroom when exactly would you do it if you didn't leave between fuel runs? You can't push the "every ticket is a pit pass" and expect people to sit in the stands from start to finish. On race day they have condensed the turn around for tv so much there is hardly time to fight the crowd out of the bleachers before you find yourself running back so you don't miss anything.

Saying it is just a bunch of rich guys having fun describes many in every class not only pro stock.

A lot of factors have went into the lowered car counts. For one if you were a part timer would you spend all that money figuring out the new set up with such short notice or would you take a year off and let others do it then come back? There were 40 different drivers in pro stock last year compared to 25 so far this year. Last year at least 24 were part timers compared to about 13 so far this year. I'm sure the new EFI change caused a lot of the part time drivers to sit home due to lack of money or time to invest in making the change. They should have allowed the old combination to be run this season with a little weight added to even things out. Eventually the car counts will come back up but it will take time.

It's not even an option to replace pro stock with pro mod. Pro mod at this time is set up totally different and can't just be plugged into the equation. If it was an option and you added all those events you would be in the same situation or worse.

They should lower the number of events for pro stock during the regular season and run Indy through the countdown. 18 events would be perfect in my opinion. That would make it more affordable and you would gain more of the part timers. Maybe they could find the time and money to run most or all season.

Painting a picture of doom and gloom just reinforces the opinion of those who felt that way long ago and gives those without an opinion one to leech onto. The only solution in the mind of pro stock haters would be to run it on nitromethane. Wait a minute I just found the answer to this "problem":)

Last edited:
I keep hearing the "show factor" is not there in PS and replace them with PM or jets cars. Nobody left the stands in the 70's, 80's and early 90's when PS ran because fans could relate to the cars and there were rivalries. The class stopped evolving due to the NHRA not having anyone who knew about EFI and turning there noses up at import racing. Now the NHRA is trying to make changes 15 years too late to try and gain interest in the class. I hope the class can recover and get new blood but if in 2 years there is no change then sadly it maybe time to end PS racing. just my 2 cents.

I quit caring about Pro Stock as soon as NHRA started weight breaks which effectively took Mopars out of the game.

This last weekend i watch the last 2 races of 2014 and 2015. All 4 races were well done and exciting, some of the best PS racing i have seen in years. Don't get me wrong i am not a big fan of the cookie cutter type cars but i understand them. I think NHRA needs to do everything they can to save Pro Stock. The first step would bring back more stock bodies add weight to slow them down where aero isn't such a factor. As long as the cars are competive 7 sec runs would be fine.

I am a fan of Erica and Jason Line but forr the sport it needs to be competive, for me i like seeing different winners it strengthens the sport. If Larry Morgan gets back he will be on my list too, nothing wrong with having favorites

You dont have to look to far back to see the stands full for prostock. When erica was amazing and cutting perfect or near perfect lights. The fans were in the stands. And excitement was high

The stands are full by default when pro stock is run before fuel classes since fans are waiting. When pro stock falls after it there is a mass exodus. That is another angle to look at because any class run after fuel is going to suffer the same fate. Erica got a lot of eyes on her the last few years because she was always in late rounds run before fuel and not after.
I'm not jumping on the pro stock is dead bandwagon. I know when I'm in the pits fans seem almost as interested in pro stock cars as they are top fuel or funny car.
When I hear pro stock rev up ready to launch its exciting to me. I can't wait to see the reaction times but casual fans are not looking for that so as the cars go down the track it is probably boring to those there to see header flames.
I don't see fans running back to the stands to watch pro stock motorcycle. Why is no one saying it is dead? Just because they have full fields? Pro stock is more expensive and run more events. The EFI change is the primary reason fields are not full.
Everything will come back with time but drag racing as a whole needs to increase the purse and/or reduce cost. The death of pro stock is being blown out of proportion. If you take a step back and look at the big picture much of the argument is based on skewed data.:)

Last edited:
Pro Stock mattered when all makes were represented and there were more than 3 engine builders. There is no real factory loyalty or true manufacturer competition now....

Next step from here is Pro Mod or fuel altereds if you want to elevate the level of enthusiasm or new interest.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back